Wrong TV Rig??? RESOLVED

Bones

Re: Wrong TV Rig???

Ditto to all the comments about sales just wanting to make sales and whatever you're driving will tow whatever they want to sell. Kudos to the dealer who wanted to know about the TV before the sale! Kudos to all who posted here, good stuff! Kudos to the folks who are educating sales people! My sales lady was great, in that she admitted when she didn't know stuff and either found out or referred me to people who did know.

I'm currently at the North Central Rally, and have towed my cyclone 4100 a little over 500 miles by now. The extra horse power (385) and torque (900) are very noticeable - no more hard downshifts on hills and on any terrain the tranny shifts ever so much more smoothly than the 2012; the extra cooling appears to be effective as it was HOT driving over here and engine and tranny temps stayed well within limits. I'm getting better fuel mileage than I ever got on my 2012. The new truck GCWR is much higher, like 8,000 lbs more than my 2012 - Chrysler/Dodge/Ram even sent appropriate paperwork documenting it.

So far I LOVE this truck.

I sprung for the Laramie Longhorn because, so help me, this is my LAST truck. Also got the factory air bags (more heavy duty than the aftermarket stuff) which work very well, and the cargo camera. I'm glad I made the switch, even if I have to scrimp a little because of it.

Pam named the truck 'Whiskers'; if the mirrors (like cat's whiskers) make it through, then the 'hips' (rear fenders) will, too.
View attachment 45717
Nice looking rig

Roadventure

Wrong TV Rig???

I bet it does match the RW well. We need to see some pictures with it hooked up. ;)

As requested. Fully loaded and chomping at the bit to go to our next camping spot.

58765e9ffc5bb8162d65eb6d2eb83661.jpg

1acb0b3501b18bac0d911cd062816b8e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

I am late to the game in this thread but:

I have a 2015 RAM 3500 with 3.42 rear end SRW and I can tow a 17,000 lb trailer - that isn't my gross combined vehicle weight - that is just trailer.
I have not been on the forum for a while. I was reading through the post and found your inquiry, I hope this helps.

The only 3500s with 3:42 axles that do not exceed 17000 lb (are less than) spec is ALL configurations with G56 standard transmissions. THEN Crew Cab 4X4 with 8 ft box w/ AISIN transmission, And Mega Cab 4X4 with either the AISIN or the 68RFE transmission configuration.

What Truck do you have? I will look it up for you and give you the exact figures.

Squirlee

Hi Jim. I was referring to the original post where he said his RAM 3500 SRW could only tow 17,000lbs GCVW. I was pointing out that something must be wrong in his calculation because my RAM 3500 SRW with 3.42 can pull a 17,000lb trailer plus the weight of my truck.

I have not been on the forum for a while. I was reading through the post and found your inquiry, I hope this helps.

The only 3500s with 3:42 axles that do not exceed 17000 lb (are less than) spec is ALL configurations with G56 standard transmissions. THEN Crew Cab 4X4 with 8 ft box w/ AISIN transmission, And Mega Cab 4X4 with either the AISIN or the 68RFE transmission configuration.

What Truck do you have? I will look it up for you and give you the exact figures.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

As requested. Fully loaded and chomping at the bit to go to our next camping spot.

58765e9ffc5bb8162d65eb6d2eb83661.jpg

1acb0b3501b18bac0d911cd062816b8e.jpg

So how does a tow? Should be a noticeable difference over your last one. We just turned 1000 miles on ours yesterday. 700 of that towing our Elkridge. About 14.5-15K. So far it has been great.

Roadventure

So how does a tow? Should be a noticeable difference over your last one. We just turned 1000 miles on ours yesterday. 700 of that towing our Elkridge. About 14.5-15K. So far it has been great.

The difference is night and day with starting in 1st and on hills with the transmission. Still getting the hang of it but very pleased so far. We have many many miles to go, but have probably towed 100-120 miles and have about 3000 miles on it already. I didn't realize how inexpensive airbags are. Might go with an upgrade there to add some longevity to my springs.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

The difference is night and day with starting in 1st and on hills with the transmission. Still getting the hang of it but very pleased so far. We have many many miles to go, but have probably towed 100-120 miles and have about 3000 miles on it already. I didn't realize how inexpensive airbags are. Might go with an upgrade there to add some longevity to my springs.

You're right. For under $300 you can get a airbag system. I think ours was $280 for the AirLift 5000. I'm thinking of adding a compressor/tank in the future but right now I'm happy with the manual fill. I have to many other goodies I want to get first. I definitely helped the ride and only 32psi brings it right up the ride height.

Roadventure

Just pulled 200 miles in the Cascade Mountains. That Aisin transmission is a beautiful thing! I was stressed before but the small hills leading up were good training. Never in overdrive using + and - the whole time. Gained 4000+ feet and descended back down at least that. Full load.

3b201bacda263b8ea77f9177b56e4274.jpg

SNOKING

Just pulled 200 miles in the Cascade Mountains. That Aisin transmission is a beautiful thing! I was stressed before but the small hills leading up were good training. Never in overdrive using + and - the whole time. Gained 4000+ feet and descended back down at least that. Full load.

3b201bacda263b8ea77f9177b56e4274.jpg

Stevens Pass or North Cascade? Chris

Roadventure

North Cascade from Grand Coulee to Marblemount. Beautiful drive. With the new tires on the rig and the dually I can't imagine that haul with the old truck and tires.

SNOKING

North Cascade from Grand Coulee to Marblemount. Beautiful drive. With the new tires on the rig and the dually I can't imagine that haul with the old truck and tires.

Well that is about as good of a work out that is available in the area! You did good! Would be interesting to see your scale weights. If you are coming on West and down I-5 Donna's truck stop South of Arlington/Smokey Point(Next exit) has a CAT scale. "116th St NE, West a short block, and left into the truck stop". Chris

Roadventure

Well that is about as good of a work out that is available in the area! You did good! Would be interesting to see your scale weights. If you are coming on West and down I-5 Donna's truck stop South of Arlington/Smokey Point(Next exit) has a CAT scale. "116th St NE, West a short block, and left into the truck stop". Chris

We will be headed south From Deception Pass next week and that will be right on our way. I think I'll take the time to do that because I am pretty curious. Last time I weighed us with full tanks etc. I was 11,770 on the truck portion and 14400 on the trailer axels.

Trying to get my wife to stop buying so much at Costco - adds up weight wise. My son had to bring all of his legos and his bin is like 30 lbs of just that. Hasn't played with them the first month... :(

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

The moderators need to change the heading on this thread to "Wrong Tow Rig? -- FIXED!"

Looks like you're all set to enjoy the RV Lifestyle.

Roadventure

I agree! Hoping this thread can help others in the future. Its a tough dilemma to work through and expensive at that.

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders

Lyle, the gang on the TDR 4th gen forum would be interested in a report on towing heavy with your new 3.73 geared RAM. Chris

Chris, I missed this back in June, just noticed it as I was reviewing this thread. Will check it out. So far, I feel like I got everything right for a change ;-) Last October towed the 19,000 Cyclone to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Colorado Springs and back home. Going up and down mountains, side winds, head winds, etc., everything worked the way it was supposed to. I like the way the Ram is set up, the tow mode, the two stage exhaust brake; all of it made the trip a lot more enjoyable.

CoChris

I am new to the forums, but wanted to say thank you for all of the good information. Very helpful , and lots of things to think about that I had not considered before. I am glad you got your TV resolved. Good luck and thank you

Chris