Wrong TV Rig??? RESOLVED

IronJ

Re: Wrong TV Rig???

I had the dealer add B&W turnover gooseneck ball since I already have an Andersen Ultimate hitch. I also had them add a spray in liner, mud flaps and chrome nerf bar steps for the short legged folks to boot. Not messing around :D
All excellent choices good sir!!....I think you will love it and like most never look back at towing with a srw......

Congrats and happy camping!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Glad you made the right choice. $$$$ should be 2nd or 3rd choice over you and your families safety. We were at a CG this weekend and saw a brand new..shiny...3 axle RW. Never had the chance to talk to the owner. TV had TX plates on it. Scary part was in was a S/B C/C new Chevy 2500 D/A. I bet if the real story was told. The salesman told this young couple..."your truck is just fine" for a 18K TH. Same old story. Salesmen lie just to make a sale. They should be held accountable for sending people out knowing that their rig is unsafe to be on the road. My 2cts

Roadventure

Glad you made the right choice. $$$$ should be 2nd or 3rd choice over you and your families safety. We were at a CG this weekend and saw a brand new..shiny...3 axle RW. Never had the chance to talk to the owner. TV had TX plates on it. Scary part was in was a S/B C/C new Chevy 2500 D/A. I bet if the real story was told. The salesman told this young couple..."your truck is just fine" for a 18K TH. Same old story. Salesmen lie just to make a sale. They should be held accountable for sending people out knowing that their rig is unsafe to be on the road. My 2cts

My mental picture was of us burnt out on the side of the mountainside or worse, then having the insurance co say "you are on your own" and the warranty company say "you are on your own". Investing in safety of my family and of others on the road is priority. I am glad that we realized what is going on and that my pride didn't get the best of us. I gotta thank my DW for questioning our truck and placing that doubt in there.

Some good resources for others. At least for Dodge TV's is: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/docs/ram/rammlup3500.pdf - just change the year in the URL to get which year for 3500 models. Also, http://dodgeforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php - this helped me know which vehicles truly had which gear ratios.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

At least you are recognisising your issue . . .

When we bought our 2015 Heartland Prowler . . . we purchased what was within the tow rating of our new and already purchased new (2015) tow vehicle.

Usually it is backwards . . . (dealer tells you your tow vehicle is OK when it really is not) . . .

Roadventure

Every dealer we went to said we had "the right truck". We bought our trailer from a personal seller. I should have taken it as an indication that the previous owner had a 2013 dually.

SNOKING

Enjoy the new ride and watch out for speeding, these new trucks like to dance fast. Chris

IronJ

New trucks are the best!! Lol...I'm pretty sure you will NEVER regret going drw....I love my srw trucks for everyday stuff, but when it comes time to haul the big boy 420, and I gotta pull out the "money pit " dually I ain't got nothing but smiles for miles!!..one finger on the wheel, cruising at 65 , enjoying the trip!! ....you will too!

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Roadventure

New wheels!!! Pic near Harrison, ID

570f3dddf764efda56adff57512fdf44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Great. See you have antlers up! My friend leaves them up all the time on his dually! Rear vision is much better. I added a little additional mirror for when they are down. Also turning the wide angle mirror all the way out when down helps. Chris

Last edited:

Roadventure

Enjoy the new ride and watch out for speeding, these new trucks like to dance fast. Chris

I drove maybe 30 miles and my DW wanted to take over. I let her drive the rest of the way home. She loves it!

I gotta say, The chrome nerf bar, spray in liner, mudflaps, and goosneck ball all were very nice touches.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Wow!! Now we're talkin. Love that truck. I ordered the same truck, only in white and 4:10 gear. Pick it up Wednesday.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Bones

Your new truck looks real good. Enjoy it for many many miles

- - - Updated - - -

Great. See you have antlers up! My friend leaves them up all the time on his dually! Rear vision is much better. I add a little additional mirror for when they are down. Also turning the wide angle mirror all the way out when down helps. Chris
I know some people hate the mirrors up but I can really see a whole lot better with them up then down. I have tried them down but I couldn't see what was next to the truck and almost ran a tiny smart car over.

Roadventure

Your new truck looks real good. Enjoy it for many many miles

- - - Updated - - -

I know some people hate the mirrors up but I can really see a whole lot better with them up then down. I have tried them down but I couldn't see what was next to the truck and almost ran a tiny smart car over.

XD that is my fear as well. We've been driving with the mirrors/antlers up for awhile even though we haven't been pulling much. The parabolic mirror makes it seem like you can see around your truck. Especially important to see around the big backend now.

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders

Ditto to all the comments about sales just wanting to make sales and whatever you're driving will tow whatever they want to sell. Kudos to the dealer who wanted to know about the TV before the sale! Kudos to all who posted here, good stuff! Kudos to the folks who are educating sales people! My sales lady was great, in that she admitted when she didn't know stuff and either found out or referred me to people who did know.

I'm currently at the North Central Rally, and have towed my cyclone 4100 a little over 500 miles by now. The extra horse power (385) and torque (900) are very noticeable - no more hard downshifts on hills and on any terrain the tranny shifts ever so much more smoothly than the 2012; the extra cooling appears to be effective as it was HOT driving over here and engine and tranny temps stayed well within limits. I'm getting better fuel mileage than I ever got on my 2012. The new truck GCWR is much higher, like 8,000 lbs more than my 2012 - Chrysler/Dodge/Ram even sent appropriate paperwork documenting it.

So far I LOVE this truck.

I sprung for the Laramie Longhorn because, so help me, this is my LAST truck. Also got the factory air bags (more heavy duty than the aftermarket stuff) which work very well, and the cargo camera. I'm glad I made the switch, even if I have to scrimp a little because of it.

Pam named the truck 'Whiskers'; if the mirrors (like cat's whiskers) make it through, then the 'hips' (rear fenders) will, too.
IMG_1602.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Ditto to all the comments about sales just wanting to make sales and whatever you're driving will tow whatever they want to sell. Kudos to the dealer who wanted to know about the TV before the sale! Kudos to all who posted here, good stuff! Kudos to the folks who are educating sales people! My sales lady was great, in that she admitted when she didn't know stuff and either found out or referred me to people who did know.

I'm currently at the North Central Rally, and have towed my cyclone 4100 a little over 500 miles by now. The extra horse power (385) and torque (900) are very noticeable - no more hard downshifts on hills and on any terrain the tranny shifts ever so much more smoothly than the 2012; the extra cooling appears to be effective as it was HOT driving over here and engine and tranny temps stayed well within limits. I'm getting better fuel mileage than I ever got on my 2012. The new truck GCWR is much higher, like 8,000 lbs more than my 2012 - Chrysler/Dodge/Ram even sent appropriate paperwork documenting it.

So far I LOVE this truck.

I sprung for the Laramie Longhorn because, so help me, this is my LAST truck. Also got the factory air bags (more heavy duty than the aftermarket stuff) which work very well, and the cargo camera. I'm glad I made the switch, even if I have to scrimp a little because of it.

Pam named the truck 'Whiskers'; if the mirrors (like cat's whiskers) make it through, then the 'hips' (rear fenders) will, too.
View attachment 45717

Nice looking RAM!!

Roadventure

Thanks! We have really liked it. Keeping it looking clean is a chore, so happens to match the lower portion of our RW. I joke that's the real reason we had to upgrade vehicles.

justafordguy

Thanks! We have really liked it. Keeping it looking clean is a chore, so happens to match the lower portion of our RW. I joke that's the real reason we had to upgrade vehicles.

I bet it does match the RW well. We need to see some pictures with it hooked up. ;)

Squirlee

I am late to the game in this thread but:

I have a 2015 RAM 3500 with 3.42 rear end SRW and I can tow a 17,000 lb trailer - that isn't my gross combined vehicle weight - that is just trailer.