Wrong TV Rig??? RESOLVED

danemayer

Re: Wrong TV Rig???

When we shopped trucks in July 2010, the RAM 3500 SRW was the truck we liked best. But when I asked for the specs, it turned out the payload was only 300 lbs higher than the 2500 - about 2700 if I remember. They had one additional leaf in the spring pack on the 3500. We would have had to go to a dually to get payload competitive with Ford and GMC SRWs.

SNOKING

Update: Dropped the news on my DW. She isn't happy about it but we are looking into DRW now. Amazing how much improvement there was from 2012 to 2014 and 2015 with just payload capacities alone. Makes the stats from 2012 seem like a fluke.

Fluke or not, you are beyound a SRW truck. Do yourself a favor and find a truck with the Aisin Tranny with 3.73 or 4.10 gears. The Aisin has a low 1st gear to get the load moving. Chris

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders

Boy, does this thread sound familiar! Thanks for all the great comments, I learn a lot through the Forum. I shudder to think how many undersized tow vehicles are out there. I remember the Heartland guys telling me about a 5th wheel dropped off for service - it was loaded up with so much 'stuff', especially in the nose, that their forklift would not pick it up.

Anyway, the reason this all sounds so familiar is back when we got our 2013 Cyclone 4100, we moved up from a 2010 Chev 2500 to a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW. Based on the promo material in the window of the Ram, I thought it had a GCWR of 30,000#. Last year we decided to go with a new Cyclone 4100, and figured the 2012 Ram was still good to go. I had the rig weighed by the RV Safety folks, and they came back with a GCWR of 25,000 for the Ram. I was way overweight!

Stunned, amazed, and more than little angry, I contacted my dealer, they gave me a phone number to Chrysler; I've had several conversations with Chris at Chrysler up in Michigan, and bottom line only 'certain' 2012 Rams were rated at 30,000. Mine, even though it had the Max Tow package, was only good to 25,000.

A summary of the conversations in my words is that Dodge upped the horsepower and torque starting in 2013, and also increased the cooling for motor and trans. No significant changes in the frame.

I looked into changing gears from 3.73 to 4.10, but since I had a 4WD would have had to change both diffs. And even that would have only gained about 3,000 in GCWR. And going to 4.10 would have played hobs with my already miserable fuel mileage.

I broke the news to Pam, and proceeded to agonize for a couple of months. While several resources said I would probably be 'OK' continuing with my 2012, doing any mountainous terrain could overtax the engine/tranny. I also thought about the possible liability should I get into an accident, especially if it was my fault. If the investigator found out I was overweight, and if Allstate found out I was overweight, would I be up the creek with no paddle and millions of $ of liability?

Weighing all the factors, I did more research, talked to Chris again, and ended up ordering a 2016. Aisin tranny with HO Cummins and 3.73 gears yields 900 ft lbs of torque, 385 horsies and GCWR just over 33,000 - Chrysler provided written specifics. Got it two weeks ago and it appears to be every thing it's supposed to be. Haven't towed the Cyclone yet, but have towed my 30' car hauler, and the increased HP and torque is quite noticeable. Fuel mileage is also already a lot better than my pitiful 2012.

Was I PO'd that the 2012 was not all it was supposed to be? Oh yeah! Did I go back to a Ram even so? Yup. While I've been a die hard GM guy, sure do love that Cummins. The dealer has been good to me, wasn't their fault the 2012 didn't match up to expectations. And, must admit I hadn't done my homework; I am now a lot more knowledgeable about all those weight acronyms - GAWR, GCWR, etc, etc, etc.

I looked real hard at special built 4500 or 5500 or even a semi tractor. But before I even mentioned that, Pam read my mind and said "You're not parking one of those in our driveway!" She pretty much lets me get a way with whatever I want, so when she's that adamant, I've learned to pay attention.

Has this cost me a bundle? Yes; but when offset against potential liability, lawyer costs and on and on, I'm 'way ahead financially, I sleep better at night and tow with a lot more confidence.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Boy, does this thread sound familiar! Thanks for all the great comments, I learn a lot through the Forum. I shudder to think how many undersized tow vehicles are out there. I remember the Heartland guys telling me about a 5th wheel dropped off for service - it was loaded up with so much 'stuff', especially in the nose, that their forklift would not pick it up.

Anyway, the reason this all sounds so familiar is back when we got our 2013 Cyclone 4100, we moved up from a 2010 Chev 2500 to a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW. Based on the promo material in the window of the Ram, I thought it had a GCWR of 30,000#. Last year we decided to go with a new Cyclone 4100, and figured the 2012 Ram was still good to go. I had the rig weighed by the RV Safety folks, and they came back with a GCWR of 25,000 for the Ram. I was way overweight!

Stunned, amazed, and more than little angry, I contacted my dealer, they gave me a phone number to Chrysler; I've had several conversations with Chris at Chrysler up in Michigan, and bottom line only 'certain' 2012 Rams were rated at 30,000. Mine, even though it had the Max Tow package, was only good to 25,000.

A summary of the conversations in my words is that Dodge upped the horsepower and torque starting in 2013, and also increased the cooling for motor and trans. No significant changes in the frame.

I looked into changing gears from 3.73 to 4.10, but since I had a 4WD would have had to change both diffs. And even that would have only gained about 3,000 in GCWR. And going to 4.10 would have played hobs with my already miserable fuel mileage.

I broke the news to Pam, and proceeded to agonize for a couple of months. While several resources said I would probably be 'OK' continuing with my 2012, doing any mountainous terrain could overtax the engine/tranny. I also thought about the possible liability should I get into an accident, especially if it was my fault. If the investigator found out I was overweight, and if Allstate found out I was overweight, would I be up the creek with no paddle and millions of $ of liability?

Weighing all the factors, I did more research, talked to Chris again, and ended up ordering a 2016. Aisin tranny with HO Cummins and 3.73 gears yields 900 ft lbs of torque, 385 horsies and GCWR just over 33,000 - Chrysler provided written specifics. Got it two weeks ago and it appears to be every thing it's supposed to be. Haven't towed the Cyclone yet, but have towed my 30' car hauler, and the increased HP and torque is quite noticeable. Fuel mileage is also already a lot better than my pitiful 2012.

Was I PO'd that the 2012 was not all it was supposed to be? Oh yeah! Did I go back to a Ram even so? Yup. While I've been a die hard GM guy, sure do love that Cummins. The dealer has been good to me, wasn't their fault the 2012 didn't match up to expectations. And, must admit I hadn't done my homework; I am now a lot more knowledgeable about all those weight acronyms - GAWR, GCWR, etc, etc, etc.

I looked real hard at special built 4500 or 5500 or even a semi tractor. But before I even mentioned that, Pam read my mind and said "You're not parking one of those in our driveway!" She pretty much lets me get a way with whatever I want, so when she's that adamant, I've learned to pay attention.

Has this cost me a bundle? Yes; but when offset against potential liability, lawyer costs and on and on, I'm 'way ahead financially, I sleep better at night and tow with a lot more confidence.

Great story of experience! Thanks for sharing.

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on with RV towing (dealerships saying "oh yeah, you can tow it" or worse, never asking "what is your tow vehicle?")

We are ultimately responsible for our safety (and the safety of those around us) on the road.

SNOKING

Lyle, the gang on the TDR 4th gen forum would be interested in a report on towing heavy with your new 3.73 geared RAM. Chris

SNOKING

Great story of experience! Thanks for sharing.

There's a lot of smoke and mirrors going on with RV towing (dealerships saying "oh yeah, you can tow it" or worse, never asking "what is your tow vehicle?")

We are ultimately responsible for our safety (and the safety of those around us) on the road.

I was impressed that the sales staff at Guaranty RV wanted all the details of my TV as part of the finalizing of our BH3575el purchase. Chris

DW_Gray

Just wanted to drop in here and remind some, and it may be new to some, that the Automated Safety Hitch System (ASHS) is an alternative to buying a new truck, in some situations. It really depends on the difference in the cost of the ASHS and a new truck. (Maybe the cost of upgrading the gear ratio too.) The ASHS isn't for everyone in every situation, but it is a viable option for some. You can read about it here.

Roadventure

We are at Dave Smith in Kellogg ID looking at a 2016 tradesman 3500 DRW with a 3.73 and the Aisin transmisson. Test drove and really like how it handles. It's closer to an SLT trim the way they order these here, but $6000 less. We have kids, so no need for crazy luxury. We would be well within our safety margins. Hoping they make a good trade. We'll see. I listed our current TV for $35k on Craigslist before driving out. Crossing my fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

The 3:73 and 4:10 both have excellent tow ratings. Just watch the payload with the srw. The DRW is only a $1200 option. Might be worth looking into. The Tradesman with options, is a great compromise for the budget minded buyer. Trust me, I know. Ours arrived yesterday!!!!!!!!!

SNOKING

We are at Dave Smith in Kellogg ID looking at a 2016 tradesman 3500 SRW with a 3.73 and the Aisin transmisson. Test drove and really like how it handles. It's closer to an SLT trim the way they order these here, but $6000 less. We have kids, so no need for crazy luxury. We would be well within our safety margins. Hoping they make a good trade. We'll see. I listed our current TV for $35k on Craigslist before driving out. Crossing my fingers.

Did you mean DRW? Chris

IronJ

I learned this tough lesson the hard way....hence why I now have 2 super duty trucks. .....the srw LOADED UP trucks lose ccc quickly when capped at 10 or 11k gvwr....gotta go to a dually to get the 14k gvrw. ... the rear axle on my dually is rated at over 9500lbs...and with an 18k-20k trailer and it's 4000lb pin weight you'll be glad you have it...tows fine either way...but stability on dually is no contest...and the braking power between the two is not even comparable in any aspect......

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Roadventure

I learned this tough lesson the hard way....hence why I now have 2 super duty trucks. .....the srw LOADED UP trucks lose ccc quickly when capped at 10 or 11k gvwr....gotta go to a dually to get the 14k gvrw. ... the rear axle on my dually is rated at over 9500lbs...and with an 18k-20k trailer and it's 4000lb pin weight you'll be glad you have it...tows fine either way...but stability on dually is no contest...and the braking power between the two is not even comparable in any aspect......

Yes it is a tough and expensive lesson. But now I know and can pass the info on to others. Thanks all for sharing and putting up with my inexperience.

IronJ

That's what this forum is all about and I have no issue telling what miss steps (in retrospect ) I have taken In this "camping " endevour......

It is what it is.....I bought my first truck based on a 10k lb bumper pull that we thought would be the perfect trailer.....and it was.......until we saw the behemoth RW420 and all its glory....

Hey at least you recognize the issue and are fixing it......my dually is super cool but I don't drive it much....just too big for reg real world ...so it sits pretty and clean and looks nice and tows some stuff on occasion ...

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Just go into the dealership prepared. When I went shopping and settled on the dealership, the salesman was useless when it came to knowledge of tow ratings. He was very knowledgeable of the overall cosmetics if the truck but I had to tell him what I needed. In the last 7 weeks, he has called me twice to ask questions about truck configurations for other customers. I'm glad he does, he then looks up the specs to confirm and then is able to better understand the customers needs. Just yesterday, while I was there, he asked me about the "high idle" feature on the RAMs. Showed him how to set and adjust.

Just be prepared with knowledge.

Rhyph

....until we saw the behemoth RW420 and all its glory....

....my dually is super cool but I don't drive it much....just too big for reg real world ...so it sits pretty and clean and looks nice and tows some stuff on occasion ...

Heh, sounds familiar re: the 420.

I love my dually and drive it all over the place. Our friends all call it the world's biggest grocery getter. It's hard work keeping it clean and pretty, a guaranteed 2-3 hour work out to wash it right. I've been driving them for 20 years even as daily drivers. I suppose I've just become desensitized to dealing with the fact that, I need 3 lanes + the starting lane to bust a u-turn, park at the end of parking lots to pig up 2-4 parking spaces, OINK! (good to walk anyway), and beat up on kids in their little obnoxious sounding hondas for some fun (all of the above not towing - of course). :p

Here's the bigger version of my sig picture, pardon the salt muck filth on it and the yak's missing on the roof from the weekend we bought the 420:

afb092a48f082958f41c074eb21e5596.jpg

Attachments

• afb092a48f082958f41c074eb21e5596.jpg
    afb092a48f082958f41c074eb21e5596.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 29

SNOKING

We are at Dave Smith in Kellogg ID looking at a 2016 tradesman 3500 DRW with a 3.73 and the Aisin transmisson. Test drove and really like how it handles. It's closer to an SLT trim the way they order these here, but $6000 less. We have kids, so no need for crazy luxury. We would be well within our safety margins. Hoping they make a good trade. We'll see. I listed our current TV for $35k on Craigslist before driving out. Crossing my fingers.

Check Dennis Dillon also. Chris

Roadventure

Done deal. We are picking up the new TV on Thursday. I'll have to give up my firstborn, but it will be a much safer truck for us and everyone else on the road. Check it out here.

- - - Updated - - -

Check Dennis Dillon also. Chris

I checked DD's inventory and they only had 1 Dually online, it was an SLT with a center console we have 4 kids and a pup. Their prices seem pretty good, but Boise is a 7 hour haul wheras Kellog is only 1.5.

SNOKING

Done deal. We are picking up the new TV on Thursday. I'll have to give up my firstborn, but it will be a much safer truck for us and everyone else on the road. Check it out here.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked DD's inventory and they only had 1 Dually online, it was an SLT with a center console we have 4 kids and a pup. Their prices seem pretty good, but Boise is a 7 hour haul wheras Kellog is only 1.5.

You can add the 5th wheel pucks yourself. I had to do that. Chris

Roadventure

I had the dealer add B&W turnover gooseneck ball since I already have an Andersen Ultimate hitch. I also had them add a spray in liner, mud flaps and chrome nerf bar steps for the short legged folks to boot. Not messing around :D

Last edited: