Your opinion on the need for Surge Protection?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's not so much a surge issue inside of the trailer. The lost neutral or partially lost neutral is the big exposure. A 50 amp connection has 4 wires: L1, L2, Neutral, Ground. If a screw comes loose and you lose L1 or L2, you'll have some outlets and appliances that don't work until you fix it. If you lose the ground connection, you have a safety hazard that comes into play primarily when one of your appliances has a partial failure and is leaking current. But if Neutral is compromised even partially, you can fry your appliances, causing thousands of dollars of damage.

This can occur at or upstream from the pedestal, where the power cord connects to the pedestal, where the power cord connects to the trailer, on the receptacle internal wire connections, if you have a transfer switch, inside the switch, or even at the circuit breaker panel.

An EMS inside, near the circuit breaker panel, protects against lost neutral at all locations except the breaker panel itself.

Lost neutral inside the coach isn't very common, but it does happen. I had a partial loss at my transfer switch. I think Mike Finnegan had a loose connection at the breaker panel. I think TravelTiger had a problem with the power cord at the pedestal. And no doubt there have been a few others I don't remember.

Ours was (we think) a problem with the connections inside our power cord's plug, connected to the external PowerGuard EMS. So it was after the external EMS. Surge caused the tv to fry and fried some surge protectors plugged in inside the rig, melted the plug and the EMS.

Replaced the cord with a Furrion, http://furrion.com/product/power-co...duty-rv-cordset-wpowersmart-led-30ft-black-2/

And replaced the EMS with the Progressive Industries external EMS.

Do I think the internal EMS is a good idea? Yes! But not something I'm willing to spend additional money on at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ours was (we think) a problem with the connections inside our power cord's plug, connected to the external PowerGuard EMS. So it was after the external EMS. Surge caused the tv to fry and fried some surge protectors plugged in inside the rig, melted the plug and the EMS.

Replaced the cord with a Furrion, http://furrion.com/product/power-co...duty-rv-cordset-wpowersmart-led-30ft-black-2/

We have the 30-amp version of that same power cord, plus I have a 30-amp extension cord just in case I need additional reach.

I've been thinking about possibly putting my surge protector in the middle between these two cords as when it is raining outside, the external surge protector is out in the rain (not good for an electrical connection), and in the middle of these two cords I could stuff it under the trailer and out of the rain (and chain it to the axle).