Zero rating on Cyclone

vakthund

We are preparing for a few winter trips with the Viking Ship and I noticed that the water lines for the factory installed washer/dryer combo goes through the propane compartment which is exposed to the elements. Seem like a bad idea in zero temperature to have water lines exposed in non-heated space. Anyone else have this issue? I guess i can install a heat lamp or put heat tape on the pipes but this seems like a bad design from Heartland?

Attachments

• Cyclone Wash-Dry 007.jpg
    Cyclone Wash-Dry 007.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Cyclone Wash-Dry 008.jpg
    Cyclone Wash-Dry 008.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 82

danemayer

Hi vakthund,

The placement is certainly going to be a problem in sub-freezing weather. Heat tape seems like a better choice to me. I would locate the electrical connection away from the propane compartment and put insulation around the lines.

If you can find 12V heat tape, you'll be able to run it while towing. If not, I'd suggest installing cutoff valves in the basement and blowing the water out of the lines before traveling in freezing weather.

Btw, the Zero rating is a comfort statement that has to do with heating the living area and maintaining a comfortable temp. At zero (F), the plumbing systems need a lot of attention. If you need tips on managing in sub-freezing weather, we have an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that you may find helpful.

szewczyk_john

I agree with these lines being a problem with cold weather the way they are run into the bedroom. I also do not trust the low point drain to drain these lines during winterazation. I blow my lines out with air and then run antifreeze through them. I wonder how many owners forget about opening these lines up to get antifreeze into this section of the lines since they do not have a washer/dryer hooked up?

I made a mental note to buy some extra fittings for the trailer and plan on eliminating these two lines in the future since we never plan on installing a washer/dryer combo. It will be one less item to worry about then.

vakthund

Heat tape seems like a better choice to me. I would locate the electrical connection away from the propane compartment and put insulation around the lines. If you can find 12V heat tape, you'll be able to run it while towing.
I like that idea. I'll be looking for 12V heat tape.

vakthund

I also do not trust the low point drain to drain these lines during winterazation. I blow my lines out with air and then run antifreeze through them.
I only blow the lines, I do not use antifreeze except for in drain traps and gray/black tanks. Draining the washer and lines is on my winterizing checklist - so I don't forget. :)

porthole

Retired
I only blow the lines, I do not use antifreeze except for in drain traps and gray/black tanks. Draining the washer and lines is on my winterizing checklist - so I don't forget. :)

I use an oilless compressor to winterize, then antifreeze. My washer dryer will not cycle with only air in the lines, it needs "liquid" to run. So, after blowing all the water lines out, I run antifreeze in all of water runs and then run the washer, pulling antifreeze directly form a bucket. The cycle to winterize uses about 5-7 gallons

vakthund

My washer dryer will not cycle with only air in the lines, it needs "liquid" to run. So, after blowing all the water lines out, I run antifreeze in all of water runs and then run the washer, pulling antifreeze directly form a bucket. The cycle to winterize uses about 5-7 gallons
Our washer will not "run" either but the valves open and water is pushed into the drum by the compressed air. I start cold and hot cycles to get all the water into the drum. I then run the drain and spin cycle for a bit until all the water is out. I pour a cup of antifreeze into the drum and another down the drain.

porthole

Retired
Our washer will not "run" either but the valves open and water is pushed into the drum by the compressed air. I start cold and hot cycles to get all the water into the drum. I then run the drain and spin cycle for a bit until all the water is out. I pour a cup of antifreeze into the drum and another down the drain.

I don't think I've ever heard air getting past the valve, but, it is something I will try this year.
Do you have the Splendide combo?

szewczyk_john

Not that it matters that much, but every penny saved is another penny in my pocket and not someone else's, but you can use regular old blue windshield washer fluid in place of the pink antifreeze for drains and p traps. I can still get windshield washer fluid for around a buck when on sale while marine antifreeze is around $5.00 in my area. This allows me to save a few pennies anyway.

Does anyone else do this?

vakthund

... use regular old blue windshield washer fluid in place of the pink antifreeze for drains and p traps.
Can also make your own by mixing 9 parts water, one part rubbing alcohol (91% or 99% if you are in really cold climate), and a touch of dishwashing liquid. Few drops of blue food coloring is optional.