PDA

View Full Version : Ford PSD Owners, I Need Advice

jpmorgan37
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
:confused: I am a happy GMC Duramax/Allison owner but want more truck. My 2500HD does a great job of pulling and good fuel economy, is comfortable to drive/ride--but, not enough weight and stopping power in critical situations. The Brake Smart controller is super--but, eight tons pushing 2 1/2 tons doesn.t make me feel comfortable. Now that we are going full time, I want more truck. I am considering a F550 PSD RV Hauler bed. You tell me, will I love it and can I depend on it for the same trouble free service that I have with my GMC?

kognito
07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
I recently traded my 2005 GMC CC Duramax for a F350 w/towboss. Not the same as a 550 (we did look at one modified by Tuscany out in Elkhart) but the Towboss does give me almost the same drivetrain as the 550.

I like the towcommand, it actually connects to the hydraulic system, and is without a doubt the best brake controller I have owned.

I really miss the mileage I got with the Duramax. Going from 3.73 gears to 4.30 makes a big difference in mileage. (especially when not towing)

Are you going to get 4.30 gears or the 4.88 ?? (4.30 = 26,000 CGVWR, 4.88 = 32,000) In my state, anything over 26000 requires a CDL

If you check out their website, Tuscany make a very nice hauler

Edit: I miss my indash XM radio :)

merlinb
07-28-2006, 08:58 PM
jpm,

You don't have to give up your Duramax/Allison.
Look at one of these: http://www.chariotvans.com/hauler/gm_4500_5500.htm

Their plant is right next door to Heartland in Elkhart.

kognito
07-28-2006, 09:01 PM
jpm,

You don't have to give up your Duramax/Allison.
Look at one of these: http://www.chariotvans.com/hauler/gm_4500_5500.htm

Their plant is right next door to Heartland in Elkhart.

Now your talkin. . . my DW said those were "too high" and I think they don't pull as much weight as the Ford can

jpmorgan37
07-28-2006, 09:08 PM
What state are you in that requires a CDL for 26,000 rating? I hadn't even thought about that. Anyway, I am getting the 4.88 gearing and I know that I'll take a hit on fuel mileage. I currently get 11.5 towing and anywhere from 19 to 22 cruising. 16 average just around town. What are you getting towing? The hauler bed that I am looking at is by The Utility Bodywerks--Elite, in Elkhart. Plenty of storage and made out of Aluminum so should help with the "Weight Police". Thanks for the feedback.
John

jpmorgan37
07-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Actually, I started looking at the Topkick and the Kodiak but I found a super deal on the F550 so I figured, why not. But, with that being said, now I need any input that I can get from drivers that have experience with them. What should I be aware of, look out for, expect, unusual or unexpected service issues and stuff like that.
Thanks,
John

kognito
07-28-2006, 09:18 PM
NJ, and 26000 is OK, 26001 needs CDL

We get about 14.5 unloaded about 9.5-10 towing.

jpmorgan37
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
kognito;
We used to live there. South Jersey. Left in 1988. I can live with the mileage. Diesel just went to $3.14 today here in Minnesota. Oh well, I won't worry about it as long as the Social Security checks keep coming. It pays the fuel bill. Life is good.
John

nhunter
07-29-2006, 01:20 AM
I have an 04 F-350. This is my 4th Ford with 600000km or 375000m between the 4. The 6.0l is the only one that ever needed an injector changed (9 of them), 3 transfer cases, 8 batteries and the list goes on. But the good news is that the 05's and 06's seem to have most of the bugs worked out just in time for the 2008 6.4l twin turbo. The ford rides a little rougher than a GM BUT they can pull/ carry more. As for fuel economy I get 14 empty and 8mpg while towing Bighorn 3600RL with a 3.73 rear end. My friend has an 03 with a 12" lift and 44" tires and get 18mpg empty. Don't know why the mileage difference? I figure one bad truck out of 4 ain't bad.

kognito
07-29-2006, 09:11 AM
kognito;
We used to live there. South Jersey. Left in 1988. I can live with the mileage. Diesel just went to $3.14 today here in Minnesota. Oh well, I won't worry about it as long as the Social Security checks keep coming. It pays the fuel bill. Life is good.
John

I only have 4K miles on mine. not broken in yet, so maybe the milage will go up a little. I did add a TransferFlow Tank /with tool box so I can carry about 80 gallons of diesel. filled up yesterday at 2.77 a gallon. (68 gallons. . .you do the math:eek: ) we plan on going fulltime next year, and I wanted extra tank and tool storage.

svd
07-29-2006, 09:40 AM
I have an 01 F-350 with the 7.3, great truck. From all I have heard, the 03 and 04 6.0 had turbo problems. Has anyone looked at this new International MXT? Now this looks like a nice truck, low profile, all the creature comforts, and plently of capacity. I don't know if they are out yet!
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/xtfamily/mxt.asp

bajaron
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
The 05's had a bunch of Turbo problems also. :mad:

nhunter
07-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Depending on your budget I think the smaller Internationals (3 or 4 in the XT series) or a smaller Freightliner might be a more capable truck as the F-550 still has the 6.0l and essentially the same driveline as an F-350 and 450

jpmorgan37
07-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll find out. I made the deal today so I'll keep you posted. At any rate, I will have a truck that won't get me stopped by the weight police and hopefully the turbos will hold up. I had heard about the turbo problems from others but the overall feeling was high EGT's, so that will be one addition that I will have is an EGT gauge. Anybody looking for a nice 2004 GMC 2500HD ext cab, D/A, 4x4?

bajaron
07-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Good luck with your new truck.:)
I hope it gives you many years of trouble free service:D

jpmorgan37
07-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Ron;
Thanks for the good luck wish. Do you know what most of the turbo problems were attributed to? Is my info on the EGT's good or do you know something else. I have a fair amount of background in motorcycle turbos in years past but other than my Duramax, nothing current other than hearsay.

John

nhunter
07-29-2006, 10:47 PM
From what my service manager told me most of the turbo problems are to do with the sensor that control the pitch of the turbo fins as Ford uses a variable pitch turbo(similar to early porsche I believe, but not as successful). Any who, you can still run with the turbo like this but there is a real lack of power. When mine went the top speed I could get with just the truck was 90km/h or 55mph. This is one of the reasons that the new 6.4l will be twin turbo which might just create another problem!

Ken Washington
07-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Can someone tell me what the prices are for the NXT's. They sure look nice!
Ken

svd
07-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Ken,
Thought I read somewhere they would start around $79k, but I couldn't remember where I read that.

svd
07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
John,
I have a friend with an 03' and he was told he didn't drive it enough :confused: , he only has around 18k miles on it. As Nhunter said above, the variable turbo then freezes up. I think he has had 3 different turbos installed. He was told that particular problem was solved in the later years (05-06) with a new turbo design, that could not be adapted to the older 03 engine.

bajaron
07-30-2006, 01:11 PM
John

I have an 2005 and had my turbo fail at 17,000. They had a bad bunch
of turbos :mad: . took a week to get new version. went to pick it up and had no power and left it. they said my injectors were bad. than said no it's my wire harnes, Got new harness and injector control box and no it's my fuel pump and they were fishing putting in new parts trying to make it work. They don't know how to fix this thing when it doesn't work.
Meet guy there with 2006 on second turbo so i don't know if the problem is really fixed.
:confused: No it was not an EGT problem.

dieselengineer
07-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Then add the change in fuel and there is going to be a real long line at the dealer service department in the next few months. This new less then 15 ppm fuel is crap and it is going to cause problems with the diesels.

phranc
07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
John , Prior to the dodge I had a 2003 F350,, Loved everything about the truck. Especially the Torqueshift Tranny and the seating and mirror position were the best.. I did have engine problems such as 4 injectors, 2 ICP valves, Various oil leaks, bad HPFC .All those problems have been solved in later model years. But the worst problem was my own in that I did not order the truck with 4x4. I could not make a good enough deal for a new ford ,so I now own a Dodge , I am satisfied with the Dodge and it has been absolutely trouble free..
Best of luck and many years of happiness with the new truck..

Tom of Ypsi
07-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I have not had any problems with my truck, see sig, and I do not know of anyone with a PSD with any problems. Your best info for the Ford trucks is http://www.thedieselstop.com

bajaron
07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Also go here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums
They have alot of info.;)

jpmorgan37
07-30-2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks Gentlemen;
My son works at a Ford dealership and he is going to run the VIN to see what he can find out about the truck. I did an Esperian VIN search and the report was clean. The most problems that my son sees are injectors, and injector pumps and EGR valves. Two trannies since they came out, and several turbos. It's a fairly large dealership so with the number out there, I guess thats not too bad. After my GMC which has been absolutely trouble free, I'm hoping for the same. My last Ford was in 1985 and since then it's been 2 GMC's and 1 Chevy. I've put almost 300,000 miles on them without a mechanical failure other than one fuel pump. That's hard to beat. I head for Nashville on Friday to pick it up and then drive it back to Minnesota so I'll have a lot better feel for it by the time I get back here. Thanks again and I'll spend some time on those Forums and hopefully won't scare myself.

John

nhunter
08-14-2006, 12:17 AM
JPMorgan37, was wondering if you posted pictures of the new truck yet?

jpmorgan37
08-14-2006, 06:19 AM
nhunter,
Not yet. We are getting ready for the auction this weekend and everything is in total upheavel and in different stages of being boxed. My laptop is still free and while having morning coffee I check my e-mail and read the forum. Will get a picture on next week (if I can find our camera). Thanks for asking though, I think it's a beauty.
John

iefpro01
05-24-2007, 12:19 PM
I have a 2001 7.3 PSD. Wonderful truck. I LUV my truck! LOL. One suggestion is to keep an spare CPS sensor in the truck. It is the most common issue. You will be driving down the road when suddenly it is like you are runnning out of fuel. You will be able to start it but it will die quickly.

I had this happen to me - had no clue what it was. Towed it to the dealer - 350 buck later found out it was a cps sensor. You can now buy the CPS replacement part for 16 bucks, and can replace it on the side of the road in about 30 minutes...

jpmorgan37
05-24-2007, 03:09 PM
CPS Sensor=Crankshaft Position Sensor, for those of you who were wondering.

cdbMidland
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Is this on all TVs or just the Fords? I had never heard of it before.

iefpro01
05-24-2007, 04:15 PM
No just Fords. CSP = Camshaft Position Sensor. Not sure if they are still on the newer models but definitly on the 7.3's

egnors
08-08-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure if it's the exact same setup as the Super Duty trucsk, but if that F550 has the 6.0, and you want to get away from the EGR problems, it's real simple. Buy an SCT XCAL 2, from either Diesel Innovations, Elite Diesel or Spartan Diesel, and they all should have a custom tune, or could come up with one specifically for your F550 that can turn off the EGR function. The tuner can even make your engine perform better, and they can even function the VG turbo like an exhaust brake to help save wear and tear on the rotors and transmission.

From researching 3 different sites before I bought my SD, the EGR cooler is just as big an issue. The EGR cooler is a pipe that runs from the DRV side up pipe to the bottom of the air intake just below the EGR valve itself. It's a water jacket that has engine coolant running around the pipe directing exhaust to the EGR to cool the HOT gas before it's reintroduced to the engine. The collective assumption is the thin cooler metal goes through one too many heat cycles and splits, which allows the exahust to bubble into the engine coolant, it overpressures the closed system and the coolant spurts out from under the cap on the degas bottle. Turning off the EGR will keep the exhaust out of the intake stream, but you could still end up with a split cooler. Google the Powerstroke EGR delete or bypass kit, and you can eliminate the EGR and cooler all together.

The turbo has been changed a couple of times to try to eliminate the sticking vanes. Either it's from excessive carbon build up, or rust on the vanes and actuator plate. There is a service procedure to remove and clean up the turbo, instead of replacing them all the time now. If you're so inclined, you can pull the turbo and clean it in your garage instead of making a call to the dealer.

The SCT with the custom tunes from one of those vendors is considered the best tuner for the Ford 6.0 right now. The inline or after-ECM modules are real good at wiping out the Torqueshift because they don't rework the shift strategy like the custom SCT tunes do. A pyro and real tranny temp gages are a real good idea if you add the SCT, or even in general. I am going to do all this in the future eventually.

Jimmyt5
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
If you get a 650 you can get a Cummins 5.9 in it and I think a Allison......:D

William
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
New to all this and apologize is it's a stupid question, but I've heard the Ford 6 liter engine has had lots of problems. Have they been solved and if so, what year models should we avoid. We're looking for a used one to pull a 3210 toyhauler that we've yet to buy. Thanks for any input.

Loco
08-16-2007, 06:49 PM
The 6.0 PS had troubles on the 03,04, then they got most of troubles out in 05 and the 06 they are not having any troubles with, If you take care of them like doing oil changes,filters,Good fuel, We have a 06 with 27,526 miles on it and pull a total load truck and trailer of 24520 lbs with no problems at all.Of couse now ford has the 6.4 PS I would not have one of those till they get the bugs out of it. My wife loves her 6.0. It will light the dual rear tire up when ranning empty.

egnors
08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
William, if there's a particular truck you've found, ask the dealer to print out an OASIS report, and read that over to see if the truck has had any problems. Stating that, some trucks could look like a nightmare, when it was the poor diagnostic performance of the tech at that time. Some dealerships don't have diesel techs, they have part swappers. thedieselstop.com, thedieselgarage.com, ford-trucks.com and powerstroke.org are where I did a lot of pre-purchase research into the 6.0. I have had 2 small, but not out of the ordinary oil leaks, and they both were repaired quickly and correctly by the dealer. Other than that, the truck's been very good. These trucks might require a bit more due diligence when buying used, but they can be a good deal because of the stigma attached to the 6.0.

P.S.- If the dealer doesn't want to give you an OASIS on a truck, get the VIN and go to one of those sites I listed, and you will get one in short order.

jpmorgan37
08-17-2007, 08:50 AM
William;

By midyear 2005, most of the problems had been resolved. I have an early 2005 and the first 10k miles were not pretty. Since then, it's been trouble free and I'm at 27k now. And Brent is right. Finding a dealer with a "diesel tech" is not an easy thing to do.

John

kognito
08-17-2007, 11:11 AM
William, if there's a particular truck you've found, ask the dealer to print out an OASIS report, and read that over to see if the truck has had any problems. Stating that, some trucks could look like a nightmare, when it was the poor diagnostic performance of the tech at that time. Some dealerships don't have diesel techs, they have part swappers. thedieselstop.com, thedieselgarage.com, ford-trucks.com and powerstroke.org are where I did a lot of pre-purchase research into the 6.0. I have had 2 small, but not out of the ordinary oil leaks, and they both were repaired quickly and correctly by the dealer. Other than that, the truck's been very good. These trucks might require a bit more due diligence when buying used, but they can be a good deal because of the stigma attached to the 6.0.

P.S.- If the dealer doesn't want to give you an OASIS on a truck, get the VIN and go to one of those sites I listed, and you will get one in short order.

Excellant advise!

BluegrassMan
08-17-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought I'd chime in and share my good news, while you're talking about diesel trucks. I ordered our King Ranch F-450 today. there wasn't much on the option list that isn't on it. I didn't get my choice of color, the "wifey" wanted Oxford White, I wanted Dk. Copper. SO it going to be White....... Now I just have to make it through the 6 weeks wait.

katkens
08-18-2007, 07:26 AM
I thought I'd chime in and share my good news, while you're talking about diesel trucks. I ordered our King Ranch F-450 today. there wasn't much on the option list that isn't on it. I didn't get my choice of color, the "wifey" wanted Oxford White, I wanted Dk. Copper. SO it going to be White....... Now I just have to make it through the 6 weeks wait.

Some people just don't understand the sacrifices us RV guys go through to keep the DW happy.;) Congrats on the new rig.---Ken

jpmorgan37
08-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Congratulations Denny,

We will all anxiously await a full report. Now you need to order some striping to match your coach and cover a little of the white.

John

BluegrassMan
08-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi All:

Thanx for the Congrats on the truck. I plan on ordering the stripe kit, I was going to get my Son to make them for me, but by the time he ordered all the correct colors, layout, etc. I think I'm better off just buying them. I'll let him install them, he knows what he's doing....I don't.

hr29man1
12-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Ford has a recall on the CPS sensor, just made an appointment to get mine done, years 1997 on up.

caissiel
08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a late 2005, So far no engine related problems, mileage is approaching 100K