Ford PSD Owners, I Need Advice

bajaron

Bajaron
John

I have an 2005 and had my turbo fail at 17,000. They had a bad bunch
of turbos :mad: . took a week to get new version. went to pick it up and had no power and left it. they said my injectors were bad. than said no it's my wire harnes, Got new harness and injector control box and no it's my fuel pump and they were fishing putting in new parts trying to make it work. They don't know how to fix this thing when it doesn't work.
Meet guy there with 2006 on second turbo so i don't know if the problem is really fixed.
:confused: No it was not an EGT problem.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Ulsf

Then add the change in fuel and there is going to be a real long line at the dealer service department in the next few months. This new less then 15 ppm fuel is crap and it is going to cause problems with the diesels.

phranc

John , Prior to the dodge I had a 2003 F350,, Loved everything about the truck. Especially the Torqueshift Tranny and the seating and mirror position were the best.. I did have engine problems such as 4 injectors, 2 ICP valves, Various oil leaks, bad HPFC .All those problems have been solved in later model years. But the worst problem was my own in that I did not order the truck with 4x4. I could not make a good enough deal for a new ford ,so I now own a Dodge , I am satisfied with the Dodge and it has been absolutely trouble free..
Best of luck and many years of happiness with the new truck..

jpmorgan37

Thanks Gentlemen;
My son works at a Ford dealership and he is going to run the VIN to see what he can find out about the truck. I did an Esperian VIN search and the report was clean. The most problems that my son sees are injectors, and injector pumps and EGR valves. Two trannies since they came out, and several turbos. It's a fairly large dealership so with the number out there, I guess thats not too bad. After my GMC which has been absolutely trouble free, I'm hoping for the same. My last Ford was in 1985 and since then it's been 2 GMC's and 1 Chevy. I've put almost 300,000 miles on them without a mechanical failure other than one fuel pump. That's hard to beat. I head for Nashville on Friday to pick it up and then drive it back to Minnesota so I'll have a lot better feel for it by the time I get back here. Thanks again and I'll spend some time on those Forums and hopefully won't scare myself.

John

jpmorgan37

nhunter,
Not yet. We are getting ready for the auction this weekend and everything is in total upheavel and in different stages of being boxed. My laptop is still free and while having morning coffee I check my e-mail and read the forum. Will get a picture on next week (if I can find our camera). Thanks for asking though, I think it's a beauty.
John

iefpro01

Suggestion - Keep an extra CPS sensor available

I have a 2001 7.3 PSD. Wonderful truck. I LUV my truck! LOL. One suggestion is to keep an spare CPS sensor in the truck. It is the most common issue. You will be driving down the road when suddenly it is like you are runnning out of fuel. You will be able to start it but it will die quickly.

I had this happen to me - had no clue what it was. Towed it to the dealer - 350 buck later found out it was a cps sensor. You can now buy the CPS replacement part for 16 bucks, and can replace it on the side of the road in about 30 minutes...

iefpro01

No just Fords. CSP = Camshaft Position Sensor. Not sure if they are still on the newer models but definitly on the 7.3's

egnors

I'm not sure if it's the exact same setup as the Super Duty trucsk, but if that F550 has the 6.0, and you want to get away from the EGR problems, it's real simple. Buy an SCT XCAL 2, from either Diesel Innovations, Elite Diesel or Spartan Diesel, and they all should have a custom tune, or could come up with one specifically for your F550 that can turn off the EGR function. The tuner can even make your engine perform better, and they can even function the VG turbo like an exhaust brake to help save wear and tear on the rotors and transmission.

From researching 3 different sites before I bought my SD, the EGR cooler is just as big an issue. The EGR cooler is a pipe that runs from the DRV side up pipe to the bottom of the air intake just below the EGR valve itself. It's a water jacket that has engine coolant running around the pipe directing exhaust to the EGR to cool the HOT gas before it's reintroduced to the engine. The collective assumption is the thin cooler metal goes through one too many heat cycles and splits, which allows the exahust to bubble into the engine coolant, it overpressures the closed system and the coolant spurts out from under the cap on the degas bottle. Turning off the EGR will keep the exhaust out of the intake stream, but you could still end up with a split cooler. Google the Powerstroke EGR delete or bypass kit, and you can eliminate the EGR and cooler all together.

The turbo has been changed a couple of times to try to eliminate the sticking vanes. Either it's from excessive carbon build up, or rust on the vanes and actuator plate. There is a service procedure to remove and clean up the turbo, instead of replacing them all the time now. If you're so inclined, you can pull the turbo and clean it in your garage instead of making a call to the dealer.

The SCT with the custom tunes from one of those vendors is considered the best tuner for the Ford 6.0 right now. The inline or after-ECM modules are real good at wiping out the Torqueshift because they don't rework the shift strategy like the custom SCT tunes do. A pyro and real tranny temp gages are a real good idea if you add the SCT, or even in general. I am going to do all this in the future eventually.

William

New to all this and apologize is it's a stupid question, but I've heard the Ford 6 liter engine has had lots of problems. Have they been solved and if so, what year models should we avoid. We're looking for a used one to pull a 3210 toyhauler that we've yet to buy. Thanks for any input.

Loco

The 6.0 PS had troubles on the 03,04, then they got most of troubles out in 05 and the 06 they are not having any troubles with, If you take care of them like doing oil changes,filters,Good fuel, We have a 06 with 27,526 miles on it and pull a total load truck and trailer of 24520 lbs with no problems at all.Of couse now ford has the 6.4 PS I would not have one of those till they get the bugs out of it. My wife loves her 6.0. It will light the dual rear tire up when ranning empty.

egnors

William, if there's a particular truck you've found, ask the dealer to print out an OASIS report, and read that over to see if the truck has had any problems. Stating that, some trucks could look like a nightmare, when it was the poor diagnostic performance of the tech at that time. Some dealerships don't have diesel techs, they have part swappers. thedieselstop.com, thedieselgarage.com, ford-trucks.com and powerstroke.org are where I did a lot of pre-purchase research into the 6.0. I have had 2 small, but not out of the ordinary oil leaks, and they both were repaired quickly and correctly by the dealer. Other than that, the truck's been very good. These trucks might require a bit more due diligence when buying used, but they can be a good deal because of the stigma attached to the 6.0.

P.S.- If the dealer doesn't want to give you an OASIS on a truck, get the VIN and go to one of those sites I listed, and you will get one in short order.

jpmorgan37

William;

By midyear 2005, most of the problems had been resolved. I have an early 2005 and the first 10k miles were not pretty. Since then, it's been trouble free and I'm at 27k now. And Brent is right. Finding a dealer with a "diesel tech" is not an easy thing to do.

John

kognito

egnors said:
William, if there's a particular truck you've found, ask the dealer to print out an OASIS report, and read that over to see if the truck has had any problems. Stating that, some trucks could look like a nightmare, when it was the poor diagnostic performance of the tech at that time. Some dealerships don't have diesel techs, they have part swappers. thedieselstop.com, thedieselgarage.com, ford-trucks.com and powerstroke.org are where I did a lot of pre-purchase research into the 6.0. I have had 2 small, but not out of the ordinary oil leaks, and they both were repaired quickly and correctly by the dealer. Other than that, the truck's been very good. These trucks might require a bit more due diligence when buying used, but they can be a good deal because of the stigma attached to the 6.0.

P.S.- If the dealer doesn't want to give you an OASIS on a truck, get the VIN and go to one of those sites I listed, and you will get one in short order.

Excellant advise!

BluegrassMan

I thought I'd chime in and share my good news, while you're talking about diesel trucks. I ordered our King Ranch F-450 today. there wasn't much on the option list that isn't on it. I didn't get my choice of color, the "wifey" wanted Oxford White, I wanted Dk. Copper. SO it going to be White....... Now I just have to make it through the 6 weeks wait.