TrailAir, Center Point system question

aatauses

Hi everyone,
On a fair amount of advice I upgraded??? to trail air center point system---so far had more stuff thrown around the coach than we ever had with the equalizer system. I have been talking with trail air (who have been very helpful and understanding) and they think since the system is always pushing to the rear that I am not level when pulling and need to raise the hitch, putting more pressure on the rear tires? I have raised the hitch 2 notches (have one left) and the hitch plate is now level with the bed sides, still not much improvement.
My question---for those who have a CP did you have to raise your hitch to compensate and if so how much? On level ground, does your cp tilt to the rear? Sometimes when traveling, stop and check things the cp is always tilted to the rear, however when I back up it will center some and only slightly tilt to the rear.
Appreciate any help you can give me.
currently in CA
thanks
al

Attachments

• 100_0465.JPG
    100_0465.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 63

lwmcguir

Mine does tilt some depending where and how I stop the coach. As far as the ride goes it is so smooth we have left coffee mugs on the counter and they were still there. You have some other problem. Our coach rides almost perfectly level with maybe 1/2 inch rise in the front. The TV is level as well.

How much air are you running on each side and what weight rating are your springs. There is no way an air bag rides rougher than a small piece of rubber.

You need to get to the bottom of this. Makes no sense at all with the information you have shared.

Tankie

Just went out and looked at mine and they are just a little forward of center (we are set up and BH is level). Have about 3500 miles on the system and the ride is amazing, compared to before.
I run about 60 lbs in them. System says to run 5lbs for evry 1000 lbs acutal axel weight, axels weight is 12400 so 60lbs is just about right.
I will have to look at the air bags when I am on the road to see where they sit. I have not had to adjust my hitch height, Bh sits level as well as tv when hooked up.
Who installed your CP system?

aatauses

Thanks lwmcguir & tankie,
Appreciate you sharing how your cp is responding---mine is supposed to respond that way!!. We have a BH3670, total weight is 14,550 with axle weight when on truck is 11,520. When talking to trail air they said to air until the bags were about 5 1/4" wide so that puts about 35# on one side and 53# on the other side. This also seems odd to me as others have said they run upwards of 50--60#. We tried with only one air system but had so much trouble TAir thought we should go with two and see what happens---some improvement,but still more movement that with the equalizers(stuff on floor, cabinets opening, etc)
The system was installed by Chiefs in WA, they had only installed one other before mine and then the tech had installed the shackles incorrect and had to reinstall them.
My springs are rated to 7000#
When we hook up and I use a 2 foot level, all is level---I had someone else tell me to actually measure from ground at front and rear as the 2 foot level may be too short for level across the 38', so will check that the next time we hook up.
Appreciate any other advice you may have for me to try.
Also, any experience with running with the hitch plate so high (level with the side rails)--any issues doing this??
thanks
al

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Our CP doesn't look like that at all. We run about 35 lbs and we didn't raise the hitch. We can't adjust the pressure sie to side even if we want to. Henderson's ran one line to the gauge and both sides fill equally. We have the new bed style on the GMC so we have it as high as it will go to start with. Sorry we haven't made it out to the storage unit to check on things and take pictures for you. We use a 2 ft level sometimes and sometimes an even shorter one. We have no problem finding level with either one.

Kristy

wdk450

Al:
I don't know where you are in California, but it might behhoove you to make contact with Henderson's Line Up in Grant's Pass, Oregon. These guys are EXPERTS in trailer suspension including Center Point and MorRide installations. I think it would be worth the late Fall pull over the Siskyou Pass.

Here is a link: http://www.hendersonslineup.com/

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Let me see if I understand why you raised the the hitch. Was the BH low in the front when hitched up?? When you took the pix, were the TV and trailer level?? If so I think that somehow the suspension is installed wrong. By the angle of the airbags it looks like the BH is very low in the front. JMHO

aatauses

Bob&Patty,
You hit the nail on the head---something several people cannot understand. The TV and the rv are level when I took the picture and the cp still tilts to the rear. this also happens when I stop on a fairly level road, the cp continues to tilt to the rear. Trail air thinks?? that the front needs to go up and so that is why I am experimenting with raising the height of my hitch---I now have it raised so the plate is level with the side rails of the p/u and wondering if that is ok to pull with the hitch that high???
al

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Good grief Al, how high would you have to raise it........6 feet?????????????? Sorry, but there is something BAD WRONG with the installation. Did the gap between the axles seem to change......like get closer together?? That would cause it.

I can see why you empty your cupboards while pulling. There is not any give in the suspension. Go figure. Someone from Lippert should be on an airplane that knows something or a check in hand for a full refund. JMHO of course

aatauses

Hendersons were the ones who came to the HL rally in OR---they also suggested to improve ride to consider going to the cp system---we had it installed in WA, where we were located at the time---however looks like an appointment to Hendersons may be in the cards before we plan to head to ak next spring.
al

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Al,
If you guys come to So. OR to go to Henderson's, let us know. Maybe we can drive over and meet you for lunch or something. We only live about 2 hours from them.
Kristy