ATF: Bighorn - Southco Keyless Entry

We took delivery of our new 2011 Bighorn 3070RL on 12/23/10 and are excited for Spring so that we can begin using it. The RV was manufactured in December from our order. The keyless entry system has never functioned. The keypad does not light. We referenced the Southco website and followed directions to replace the battery. We discovered that moisture had penetrated the keypad and began to corrode the existing battery. We allowed the unit to dry thoroughly, then replaced the battery. The unit did light briefly at this point, but stopped lighting once the screws were secured. We fear that the keypad unit has been compromised by the moisture and want to know what we should do next in order to get this feature operational. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Contact you dealer first, and if no help contact Heartland Warranty service. Did it work when you did you PDI? If you contact Heartland have your vin available.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would, and have, called Mike Faye at Southco. 303-561-4900. I had the new keypad in my hand in two days. If you are comfortable in doing your own work that is the route I would recommend taking.
Changing the keypad itself is easy. A little more work to program it. You will need to take the door window trim off on the inside and find the reciever. Remove and replace a jumper and do the programing. Took me about an hour.

Peace
Dave

I called Mike at Southco and took it to the dealer to let him install it. I didn't feel confortable takin apart the door while it was under waranty.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John, Sorry you are having a problem with your keyless entry but thanks for posting. We will be sure to check ours now.