solid surface counters

:cool: We have a 2012 Heartland Bighorn fifth wheel. The counters are supposed to be solid surface but we have noticed that we have a LOT of scrathes on them. We are very careful of what we place on the counters and we never cut on them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Crumgater

Yes!
I was amazed at how easily the counters scratch, too.
A lot of people here scrub and/or buff their counters to keep them shiny, but we've just gotten used to seeing them dull.
If you do a search of the forum for 'counter top scratch', I'm sure you'll get some good hits and recommendations.

Welcome to the forum!
-Tina

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes they do scratch easily, so I polish them often and try to protect with a coat of wax.
I like it when they look nice and shiny.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the scratches are due to something being dragged acros the counter, they can be sanded out with a little elbow grease. Using wet/dry sandpaper, start with 220 grit. Make up a solution of water with a little Dawn detergent in it. Put some of the water on the area to be sanded and work the paper for a bit in small circles on the scratches. Rinse with clean water, wipe, and reapply the soapy water. Sand again with a 320 grit. Repeat the process using 600 grit, then 800 grit, and finally 1000 grit. Follow the 1000 grit with an automotive polishing cream (not rubbing compound), following the instructions for it. If you want it really slick, apply some MacGuair's paste wax.

Some procedures recommend using different ScotchBrite pads, if you can find them. The fine grit papers are easily found at any auto parts store.

I had to repair some serious scratches in my counters after thieves dragged their asses over them to steal the TVs from the rig. Took less than an hour and they looked good as new. But for the minor scuffs and scratches from normal use, I'm not too concerned with those.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have never noticed any scratches or anything unusual on our counters
BTW, We don't cut on the countertops, or do anything unusual to abuse them. Trace

twohappycampers

We have never noticed any scratches or anything unusual on our counters
BTW, We don't cut on the countertops, or do anything unusual to abuse them. Trace

Trace, how did you guys get so lucky? Maybe you got Corian? Ours started looking far-from-nice within days, and we were being super careful not to drag anything, cut anything, or anything "unusual". They just seem to mark up from the simple act of putting a cutting board down, wiping off crumbs, merely looking at it! We're close to 5 months into it, and I've simply given up, and will let it develop a nice "patina" since that's what it seems to be determined to do anyway. One day I'll get it into my head to knock down the shine with sandpaper. I think I'll like it better that way because little marks and scratches don't show up so much on any kind of dull surface as they do on shiney.

Birchwood

These solid surface countertops are expensive and I have heard a lot of complaints even from homeowners about
their coiian they paid $3000.Our Landmark has Hanex countertops and its a constant struggle to keep them shining.
I am thinking about a matte finish for them but then that would mean all the countertops in the LR,BR and Bedroom.
We are very careful with them with cutting boards everywhere and what not but our efforts are useless.

caokgafamily

We also have had alot of scratches in our "Corian" after 5 yrs. I have buffed them out but they come back. Stupid question? what about granite? What does granite weigh VS solid surface? I have alot of granite in our home and no scratches. Granite in a RV? we are spoiled.....
Steve

twohappycampers

Just a clarification. HL used to put true "Corian" solid-surface in some of the rigs (correct me if I'm wrong), but for a while it's been another (some say "inferior") solid-surface from Hanex. I've never had true Corian so can't compare, just go by what I've heard from others. I DO know that a product I bought that was supposed to be great for cleaning and shining Corian didn't work at all well on my Hanex. I think I read Corian is more stone and Hanex is more plastic.

Our countertops are so front-and-center in our rigs, and looked so nice when they were brand new from the factory, we can really get stuck on their appearance, can't we? Lorna

TandT

Trace, how did you guys get so lucky? Maybe you got Corian? Ours started looking far-from-nice within days, and we were being super careful not to drag anything, cut anything, or anything "unusual". They just seem to mark up from the simple act of putting a cutting board down, wiping off crumbs, merely looking at it! We're close to 5 months into it, and I've simply given up, and will let it develop a nice "patina" since that's what it seems to be determined to do anyway. One day I'll get it into my head to knock down the shine with sandpaper. I think I'll like it better that way because little marks and scratches don't show up so much on any kind of dull surface as they do on shiney.

I don't know what we have. I always thought it was Corian, or a similar product. When I have a minute, I will post a picture.

Last edited:

RallyUp

I used to have solid surface counter tops at home and learned to put felt on the bottom of everything. Even coffee cups and plates can scratch the solid surface. I buy those packages of round felt stickies to keep in the camper and put them on everything going on top of the counter.

Cucina

As a Kitchen designer I know that all solid surfacing scratches. The darker and solid colour counters show the scratches more. The beauty of solid surfacing is the ease of clean-up, sterile surface and abillity to do crazy designs with it. You can have a solid-surface buffed to a honed finish and that might be better-doesn't cost too much at a counter facility. Both granite and quartz are excellent replacements. I like the quartz because it is still a bit softer and resiliant than granite and never needs sealing. Soapstone is a nice alternative as well, but need sealing more often. Our MPG has a laminate countertop with a solid surfacing edging, and I suspect that will wear very well in our trailer.

phix

We have Corian at home and we never have to worry about them scratching. It has been 12 years now. The surface has dulled, but it is not scratched.

The solid surface counter tops in the BigHorn is another story. We could have prevented some of the scratching had we known that we needed to take care. After having Corian at home, we assumed it was as durable....NOT. Anyway, now we set out place mats here and there and try to use them when setting anything down.

ChopperBill

We had Corian in our "06" Bighorn (you can tell Corian because they always imbed a nickle size emblem in surface) Have Hanex in the new one. I think Hanex is molded over a sheet of wood making it more break resistant in trailers. As far as finish I have seen no difference in the way the two scratch. If I was to refinish our stick home counters I would go to granite or good old tried and true Formica.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The original Landmarks came with granite throughout, but it was learned that it is very heavy and easily cracks which is a problem in a trailer that flexes going down the road. IMHO the Corian was a step up from granite and the Hanex is another step up because of cost.

TandT

Here is the counter we have. Don't know for sure who makes it. I can't see any scratches on it. It seems good so far. Trace

Attachments

• Bighorn counter top.jpg
    Bighorn counter top.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 41

ChopperBill

Here is the counter we have. Don't know for sure who makes it. I can't see any scratches on it. It seems good so far. Trace

Trace you got the later "11" lighter colored stuff. Ours is the darker. Would think the light would be a lot better for not showing scratches. Could be why they went with lighter.

twohappycampers

Trace you got the later "11" lighter colored stuff. Ours is the darker. Would think the light would be a lot better for not showing scratches. Could be why they went with lighter.

I think you've hit the nail on the head! That is, why some counters are prone to showing scratches and other marks, and others not so much. It's not that some are taking better care of theirs than others, it's to do with whether they're light colored or dark. So those of us with scratched dark counters can quit feeling guilty or defensive ... hee hee

Okay, now here's where others chime in with "We have the dark counters and nary a scratch". ARRRGGGHH!!