PDA

View Full Version : About to give up on delivery

FordMan1966
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I have waited over 6 weeks to take delivery of my 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon. I am getting impatient. It came off of the line 2 weeks ago and should have been to the dealer before now.
The Full Body Paint Big Sky is looking better each day and will be mine if the Landmark is not here real soon. No one will check on the status of this unit for me.:(

jnbhobe
03-14-2012, 05:52 PM
I would guess it would have to be either Heartland or your dealer who would have to check on it. I have seen lots full of rigs to be delivered near the factory, it also could be the transport company who is backed up. I have never got to upset over the wait, not worth getting an ulcer over it. It will come in soon enough.

SJH
03-14-2012, 06:30 PM
I can sympathize with your feelings but...having gone through "the wait" and then getting the rig I can truthfully say looking back on the experience that the anticipation of the arrival was part of the fun adventure! Hang tough!

danemayer
03-14-2012, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure how your rig could have gotten to the dealer in 6 weeks.

When you place the order with your dealer, he has to turn around and place an order with Heartland. Then Heartland puts it into their build queue. The order turnaround takes at least a few days.

When we bought in 2010, Heartland was using a 4 week manufacturing cycle, the last 1 1/2 days is for the actual assembly. I'd be surprised if the build cycle is any shorter now. We bought at a very slow time for RV sales. Some of the queue time may be to manage order flow; some of it is undoubtedly to allow time for acquisition of options and to manufacture sub-assemblies and cabinetry.

After assembly, if you ordered full-body paint, the rig spends a week at the paint shop. We're up to 5 1/2 or 6 weeks.

After that, a transporter has to get it to your dealer, which I've been told can take at least 2 weeks, maybe more.

I'd say that 8 weeks from placing your order seems like a minimal turnaround. In our case, we picked up our Rushmore in Elkhart, 5 miles from the factory (no transport needed), nearly 7 weeks after placing the order. We were responsible for about 3 days of that.

jayc
03-14-2012, 07:20 PM
There may be a shortage of delivery drivers. With fuel prices up and going higher, its harder for drivers to make any money, so that may have slowed your coach being delivered to the dealer.

tcfake613
03-14-2012, 07:56 PM
Hmmm... doesn't make sense. When we ordered ours in December both my dealer and Heartland could almost pinpoint the exact date my rig would be online. I think about two weeks after I placed order the dealer gave me the build date which was on a Tuesday. He said he'd probably have it by that next weekend... and he did. I picked it up the following weekend. Try calling the factory if you haven't already. They are very pleasant and helpful.

FordMan1966
03-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I had a schedule from the Landmark Sales Rep. and the dealer gave the same schedule and it was to be finished at the paint shop and ready for shipping on February 27th. This was the exact schedule of completion then the wait started. The dealer told me as well as the Landmark Rep. that it would take 4 to 6 weeks. Now we are moving into 7 weeks. I am getting some answers tomorrow as to where the RV is at.

TandT
03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
It took 8 weeks from the time we ordered our current BH until we received it in Jan. of 2011.
Now that we are enjoying ours, we don't even think about the wait.

IMHO, I wouldn't settle for the lesser rig that you mentioned.

Hang in there, you'll make it. It'll be worth the wait. Trace

jbeletti
03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
No one will check on the status of this unit for me.:(

Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying you spoke to your Heartland rep and he would not check on it for you?

Not sure what you are doing tomorrow to get answers, but maybe it's time to call the plant at 574-262-5992. Ask for Landmark Sales. They will want your dealer name and coach floorplan as well as your name and number.

Jim

dfk009
03-14-2012, 10:03 PM
On 5-16-11 we signed papers to order our 2012 ElkRidge. The sales manager for Larry's Trailer Sales, Zeigler, IL called the ElkRidge rep to see how long to build unit. He said that they had allocations immediately to get ours built. It was to take 3-4 weeks to get it. They had ours, plus 2 or 3 for their stock coming. Heartland forgot to put slide covers on all the trailers since all were order with them. Within a day or two, Heartland sent a crew down to install covers that were to have them installed. We took delivery 06-25-11. Now that is what I call service both from Heartland, and the sales manager for Larry's, as he stayed on top of our order. Oh yes, dealers do get computer print outs, with status on their orders. And they did have driver shortages in 2011. My dealer threatened to send his driver 400 miles to pick ours up.

Don

2psnapod1
03-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Patience is a virtue. I would much rather wait a little longer and make sure that everything is completed correctly than have things done 'half-a$$ed'. We ordered our Key largo in mid January 2011 and it wasn't ready for delivery until mid March...8 weeks.

FordMan1966
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM
The comment today was that the Delivery Company is backed up not 1 week now but 2 weeks and it will probably not be delivered until next week. Well that is 3 weeks after it came off of the line. Excuses...

Bernie55
03-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Please hang in there, it will be worth the wait.....

branson4020
03-15-2012, 02:07 PM
18216One more Hang in there!

On the bright side, the trucking companies are busy. Lots of stuff getting sold and delivered. The economy is getting better! Folks are going back to work....

Just not me, thank God :D.

wildwolfproducts
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Shoot see if they will let you go pick it up? Save you cash on delivery and also get there faster. Now if you had ordered the Ley largo. I would tell you to go ahead and get the unit on the lot. LOL Then we could buy yours when it came in.
Good luck and hold tight. I know its hard waiting, But sure it will be well worth it when its here. That is one reason we have not put ours up for sale yet. Have 4 trips in the next 6 weeks. So hate to miss out on those. So may just sell it after those and then order one during the hot summer time. Have it ready for the fall camping.
Pete

wildwolfproducts
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=branson4020;234183]18216One more Hang in there!

Please stop using those kind of Language around us, We (I) Don't like anyone using that 4 letter word around me. Now anything else but not that W-O-R-K word...
LOL

porthole
03-15-2012, 04:39 PM
The comment today was that the Delivery Company is backed up not 1 week now but 2 weeks and it will probably not be delivered until next week. Well that is 3 weeks after it came off of the line. Excuses...

Most of the "RV delivery companies" are a "company of one", an owner-operator.
There physically cannot be as many drivers as there are RV's sold.

When I picked up our trailer (at the dealer in Elkhart) I met the dealers delivery company. Don't remember his name, but he was on his way back from Texas when I met him. He then left for Seattle with a Landmark. He would be on his way back before I left and was to pickup a delivery and be on the road again to Rhode island. One driver, 3 rigs, 8000 miles.

ihsolutions
03-15-2012, 05:03 PM

Well it seems clear to me that your delivery company, and possibly your dealer, are the only ones to blame. It sounds like Heartland produced the unit on time. Switching to another brand now does not solve your problem a bit.

On a lighter note, you gotta relax a little, man! :) Just kidding...I know waiting is real tough, but remember, this is a hobby/pastime where we are supposed to enjoy ourselves a little bit. Pop open a cold one and be patient. It will be worth the wait!

P.S.
On edit: Easy for me to say, right? My coach is sitting in the driveway ready to hit the road tomorrow. I guess with all this nice weather I can see where you're coming from...

FordMan1966
03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Not to mention the name of the delivery company but I read on there website and did the math. If they deliver 7 days a week they average 41 rvs per day based on what the website said. So it is a large delivery company. It will be here sooner than later, so I went out and started waxing the rv that I am trading in on the Landmark tonight.

codycarver
03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Not to mention the name of the delivery company but I read on there website and did the math. If they deliver 7 days a week they average 41 rvs per day based on what the website said. So it is a large delivery company. It will be here sooner than later, so I went out and started waxing the rv that I am trading in on the Landmark tonight.

Good for you! In the mean time as suggested by Jeff, Laurie a cold one and maybe a few ice cubes marinated in some JD couldn't hurt.

Wharton
03-16-2012, 02:57 AM
I am curious, what time frame did the dealer give to you originally? I think 8 weeks or longer is fair during the "busy" season. The trailer may be off the line but each of these need to be delivered individually. Not like cars where they put 8 or more on a trailer. Be happy that there aren't FEMA trailers that need to be relocated. When that occurs the wait gets really long. You expectation that there would be a delivery person waiting for a trailer to be delivered is way off. FIFO is the methodology. Each trailer probably consumes 4-7 days of the delivery person's time.

We try to order in January, before the season hits, and generally get the trailer fairly fast. Ordering once the shows start up is the height of the season so it will take longer.

wildwolfproducts
03-16-2012, 10:01 AM

I know these guys that deliver campers, can only drive so many hours each day. And weather along with road issues can cause them to get off track. But the good news. Your getting a new LandMark. Plus get to wait when it make's it to the dealers lot also. Just a short wait but sure its going to be worth it.

Also thanks for the heads up on your dealer, so far there first price to us is the best one. Still waiting on 2 others though. Shoot there even in line with the dealer right by the factory.
Pete

DougAndJudy
03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
FordMan1966 -

We went to our dealer to check on our 2013 Mesa. It is still not in either. But we did see a 2013 Grand Canyon there (not yours - build date was Feb 9...) Believe me, it will be worth your wait!

FordMan1966
03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
The dealer told me yesterday that they had one Landmark arriving yesterday another on today and one Monday and another one on Tuesday. These are the 4 sold units and 2 more for stock will follow. So it should be here soon. Any idea when yours will arrive?

FordMan1966 -

We went to our dealer to check on our 2013 Mesa. It is still not in either. But we did see a 2013 Grand Canyon there (not yours - build date was Feb 9...) Believe me, it will be worth your wait!

DougAndJudy
03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
The dealer told me yesterday that they had one Landmark arriving yesterday another on today and one Monday and another one on Tuesday. These are the 4 sold units and 2 more for stock will follow. So it should be here soon. Any idea when yours will arrive?

The dealer didn't give us a date, but I'm guessing that it will be the day after yours gets in... ;)

jayc
03-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Doug and Judy, we can't wait to see your new Mesa in Gillette.

DougAndJudy
03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Doug and Judy, we can't wait to see your new Mesa in Gillette.

Jay and Stella -

And we can't wait to see your new Grand Canyon there too!!

jayc
03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
It will be a new-rig party!

Sorry to hijack the thread.....

PeternLiane
03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=branson4020;234183]18216One more Hang in there!

Please stop using those kind of Language around us, We (I) Don't like anyone using that 4 letter word around me. Now anything else but not that W-O-R-K word...
LOL

We'll WORK on that! LOL

FordMan1966
03-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Well I received an email from the dealer this afternoon where the Grand Canyon was picked up by the delivery company and should arrive at the dealer on Monday. Then start the PDI and ready for pickup on Friday.

jjriker
03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Congrats!! So glad to hear your wait is almost over!! ;)

PeternLiane
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome!!! Congratulations, the wait was hard but worth it.

jbeletti
03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Awesome news!

CliffP
03-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Glad your wait is about over and congrats!
Cliff

hriker
03-18-2012, 07:15 AM
You will be glad you waited. They will look your rig over very carefully before you get it. If your PDI is like ours they will have found most of the issues and corrected them. We only found a few minor issues with our rig and they fixed them right away. Good luck and have safe travels.

FordMan1966
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Well the dealer called and the 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon arrived today. The PDI begins and will be ready for me to pick up on Friday.

boatto5er
03-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Ditto what Harry said!

FordMan1966
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Well I went to see the 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon today and the dealer had started the PDI on it. The only thing I saw in the initial walk thru was the name on the outside said Key Largo instead of Grand Canyon. We had to laugh! The fellow doing the PDI had his laptop out going thru his inspection list. Quiet impressed, going to bring it home on Thursday. Oh it looks great without the ladder on the back, which was my request from the factory. I will bring it home in case I want to put it on sometime.

jbeletti
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Oh man - you gotta be super excited now. Odd on the line adding the wrong badging - but it that's as rough as it gets, then it's a great day. Enjoy!

Jim

PeternLiane
03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Glad that the wait is finally over. I hope that everything goes well. Happy travels!

TravelTiger
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
FordMan, We have an "Eagle Ridge 34QSRL" badge by our front door. I figured the wall was built before the name change to ElkRidge in late 2009. It bothers me a little, but then again, it's a little tribute to the original floorplan we fell in love with, back in early 2009.

I am sure you can get the badge changed.

Erika

mmomega
03-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Hey isn't that the kind of trailer Jay wanted? A grand largo or key canyon?And big grats on the new RV! Just wait til the mod bug bites you...don't look at portholes mods or you may get bitten sooner rather than later

wildwolfproducts
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Glad your unit is in K-Town and your getting it toward the end of the week. Guess our wait will start soon, getting closer each day to ordering the Key Largo. Its funny one place we got a quote from, asked for $5000. to order the unit. I told them that as Ok, no way was I throwing down that cash and not get it back if for some reason I did not like the unit when it came in.
Pete

SouthernNights
03-23-2012, 04:38 AM
Well I went to see the 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon today and the dealer had started the PDI on it. The only thing I saw in the initial walk thru was the name on the outside said Key Largo instead of Grand Canyon. We had to laugh! The fellow doing the PDI had his laptop out going thru his inspection list. Quiet impressed, going to bring it home on Thursday. Oh it looks great without the ladder on the back, which was my request from the factory. I will bring it home in case I want to put it on sometime.

If your first name is David, then I saw a picture of it on FB. You have the same problem i have though, how to make a white truck blend into the choclate body paint.

Aren't you glad you waited now and didn't run out to buy a SOB?

Nabo
03-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Ok FordMan1966 - did ya get her home???

FordMan1966
03-23-2012, 12:29 PM
White matches about anything. Got it home yesterday afternoon and have already washed it.

If your first name is David, then I saw a picture of it on FB. You have the same problem i have though, how to make a white truck blend into the choclate body paint.

Aren't you glad you waited now and didn't run out to buy a SOB?

FordMan1966
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Got it home yesterday afternoon. Already given it a good wash job and the wife has cleaned the inside. Going to pack it tomorrow.

codycarver
03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Congratulations!! So... was it worth the wait?

Bernie55
03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Congrat's, hope it was worth the wait.......

mikeandconnie
03-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Congrat's Fordman ,
I did go into your Grand Canyon yesterday and checked it out. Man it was beautiful! I also saw you waving as I was passing. I hope to see you soon camping. We plan to use the free park stay in Pigeon Forest the 2cd week in April.
I made it home with my rig and love the 6 point level up system. I have a broken shoulder and after a long day with one arm, I just push the level button and was done, I didn't realize the rear elec jacks are gone, but like it.
Take Care
Mike

ericandalice
03-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Congrat's Fordman ,
I did go into your Grand Canyon yesterday and checked it out. Man it was beautiful! I also saw you waving as I was passing. I hope to see you soon camping. We plan to use the free park stay in Pigeon Forest the 2cd week in April.
I made it home with my rig and love the 6 point level up system. I have a broken shoulder and after a long day with one arm, I just push the level button and was done, I didn't realize the rear elec jacks are gone, but like it.
Take Care
Mike

Mike, I'm curious about the 6 point level up system. When you say the rear jacks are gone, do you mean that "points" 5 and 6 are where the rear jacks used to be?

~Alice

FordMan1966
03-23-2012, 08:41 PM
We are going to Pigeon Forge next weekend but staying at Pine Mountain RV Park our neighbors bought a TT and are wanting to go there. i will use my free weekend at Creekside some time this summer. Maybe we will see each other in the same campground sometime. We will definite have the sharpest looking rigs in the campground.

Congrat's Fordman ,
Take Care
Mike

porthole
03-23-2012, 08:43 PM
6 point jacks have the two landing gear jacks and 4 other jacks , 2 in front of the front axle, 2 behind the rear axle.
The electric stabilizer jacks were all the way to the rear.

You just don't need the electric jacks when going to the 6+ point leveling system.

FordMan1966
03-23-2012, 08:43 PM
With the 6 point leveling system you have the front 2 jacks, 2 just in front of the front wheels and 2 just to the rear of the rear wheels. You do not get the rear stabilizers with the 6 point system. I could not get the 6 point because of my steep driveway so I have the front2 jacks and the 2 rear stabilizers.

Mike, I'm curious about the 6 point level up system. When you say the rear jacks are gone, do you mean that "points" 5 and 6 are where the rear jacks used to be?

~Alice

porthole
03-24-2012, 09:32 AM
So just how steep is your driveway?

wildwolfproducts
03-24-2012, 07:57 PM
With the 6 point leveling system you have the front 2 jacks, 2 just in front of the front wheels and 2 just to the rear of the rear wheels. You do not get the rear stabilizers with the 6 point system. I could not get the 6 point because of my steep driveway so I have the front2 jacks and the 2 rear stabilizers.

But all the 2012's we looked at only has the 2 jacks behind the wheels and the electric jacks on back. Was told 2013 they went with 6 point because so many people think they have to have the 6 point. But with the 12" Fame it was fine without the 2 extra jacks and the extra cost.
Pete

porthole
03-25-2012, 06:31 PM
I think if you read between the lines you will find 6 jacks are now used because 6 jacks are better.
Personally, I would not lift my trailer wih just 4 jacks.

If you think about it, Using the the 4 jacks in front of and behind the axles is supporting the trailer the same way the axles do.