What are you towing your Cyclone 4012 with

Renshi

This is a question for all of the Cyclone 4012 owners. What are you guys pulling your Cyclone 4012 with? Is anyone pulling with a single axle truck? I have Ford 2003 F-350 with a V-10. The V-10 doesn't have enough engine to pull the Cyclone 4012 up the big hills. It looks like it is time to upgrade.

Attachments

• TruckTrailer.jpg
    TruckTrailer.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 106

Loco

Renshi,
We have 3795 which is just about the same size as your less one slide out.We have ours loaded to the max with two Harleys and gear. We pull with a 2006 F-350 DRW 6.0 PS Tow Boss and it pulls it like the trailer is not back there. But we are going to add air bags to level the truck up some. Next time we will get a 450 at the very least. But the 350 does very well. We get about 10MPG pulling at 70 MPH.

Renshi

Loco,
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to decide if I need a dually or not. We will only pull the trailer 4 to 6 times a year. The diesel power train is the same in the F-350 single axle, F-350 dually and the F-450 dually. I have never owned a dually, but I have heard people say they are a pain to put in a parking space (every day use) when your not towing. Have you ever pulled your trailer with a single axle truck? I don't have any experience pulling a trailer with a dually, I am looking for some advice.
Thanks

cliffhanger

I have a 3795 also, and I'm pulling it with a SRW truck. I'm pushing the limits when I load it with water and toys. That trailer should be pulled by a dually(not trying to preach). The 450 actually has heavier axles and wheels than the 350.

mufflerman

I use my crewcab dually for every day driving, It's never a problem in town. Just can't be someone that has to park as close to the store as possible. I had a srw and towed my 3795, it towed ok, But the dually makes a huge difference, much more stable.

ct0218

Like Ray I drive mine everyday, everywhere. I just park a little further out, and consider the little extra walking exercise. It does take a little while to get used to the fenders sticking out so far, but I feel the pluses outweigh the minuses. Nothing like pulling a fiver with a dually.

jbeletti

For the first 2 years of ownership, my dually was also my daily driver. Like others have said, you get used to it and you just seek out parking spots with more thought. Contrary to my early beliefs, you "can" get a dually through many drive-throughs too.

My wife got a new car so i got her hand-me-down and I am fortunate to be able to park the dually and use for towing only.

Don't fear the dually - it's an awesome towing platform.

Jim

crazybanshee

Renshi We pull our 4012 with a 1998 International 9200 with the Cummins M11 Plus. Our trailer has a pin weight of #4300 and a axle weight of #14,600. It is a heavy trailer.

Loco

Tow rig

We pull our 3795 which is almost the same size with one less slide with a F-350 4x4,4 door,DRW,PS ,tow boss. It pulls it fine. But we would like to go bigger one day. I would not pull these rigs with anything less than a dually.They are heavy. Do not let anyone tell you they are not. Our truck and trailer with all the camping gear,two Harleys, two kids,two adults, came in at over 25K.

Uncle Rog

I am not in the toy haul'n business but our 3600 is pretty heavy. I scaled her loaded up pretty good at 22.8K, which is over the rating for the combo by 800#'s. Every thing being equal I kind'a wish I had a dually. The Duramax / Allison is a great combo, but with the weight, in Mojave wind, it can be a little hairy.....

christianson

I pull our 3055 Big Horn with 08 F-350 DRW crew cab 4X4 6.4 diesel with 4.10 gear ratio have pulled many miles with SRW would not go back the DRW dose a better job and feels safer.

gardan69

I just moved up from a F250 to a Dodge Mega Cab Dually, a much more stable vehicle. Another thing to consider is if you get a rear blowout with a SRW truck it can get real squirrely really quick, with a DRW truck you have that extra tire to hold you up until you can get to the side of the road. I used to drive 18 Wheelers for a living, if you ever have a rear blowout and it starts to sway, don't hit the truck brakes, reach down and manually hit the trailer brakes, this will actually pull your rig back straight, while holding the trailer brakes gently apply the truck brakes to get stopped. Hope it helps!!

gcheimis

I had a 2005 F350 Ford dually crew cab and whenever I pulled my 4012 it overheated on uphill grades. Took it to the dealer 3 times to no avail. I traded it in last Dec on a 2007 3500 HD Dually crew cab Sierra. The Sierra pulls much better with faster, smoother acceleration and far less cab noise. I have owned Ford dually diesels all my life but the 2005 was a real lemon that Ford could not make good. The GMC also gets better fuel mileage.

Country

I had a "05 F350, 6.0 and had the same trouble. What a lemon of a truck! Traded it on my "06 Ram CTD and there is no comparison. Awesome truck! Pulls my 4012 with no problem.

The Ford got 11 mpg empty. The Dodge gets 21 empty and around 11 pulling the 4012....

major

I have A 08 B.C. 3300RL. Tow it with A 04 Ford 250 Super Duty xlt, , have no prombles, it took me a little time to get use to the overall length and the max. speed on the hwy I like to drive is 60 mph. 10 ply tires, good name brand, from a good tire dealer. Enjoy
Major

548bhd

We also have an 09 3355RL and tow with an 08 F350 V10 with the integrated brake controller. The integrated brake controller is excellent and we have been happy with our towing setup. For our setup the gain is best set at 5.0 and it seems to brake the trailer just right. The V10 does not tow like a diesel by any means, but I have no problem cruising at 60 to 65 mph. We don't tow often enough to justify the extra cost of the diesel engine and fuel.

yrusohi

We are towing with the 08 f-450. Love it so far. As far as mileage goes, it is in the toilet but stability and power are never an issue.

Country

We also have an 09 3355RL and tow with an 08 F350 V10 with the integrated brake controller. The integrated brake controller is excellent and we have been happy with our towing setup.
That was a big plus with the Ford. The integrated brake controller did work great.

I had a SRW 2001 Ford F350 7.3 diesel which pulled and carried a lot of weight - except the worry I had was losing a tire on some narrow mountain road. That would do a lot of truck and camper damage. I traded up to a new 2006 F350 dually 6 liter diesel and will never go back to anything smaller or with single wheels. You get used to the fenders. The improvement in stability while towing is incredable.
Rockhound454