Considering ST235/85R tires for my Cyclone 3950

mmastin

I am considering putting ST235/85R tires on my Cyclone 3950. The specific tire I am looking at is ST235/85R-16/14 Geostar G574 All Steel Highway BW. My understanding from the dealer (Les Schwab) is these are 120 psi tires and I want to make sure that the rims on my rig are rated for that pressure. For the record I have had multiple issues with the TowMax R80 tires that came on the rig. Two have blown out and two more have shown significant tread delamination/failure and have had to be replaced.

Can you confirm for me what the max psi rating on the rims is?

Thanks,
John M Mastin

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Re: ATF: Cyclone - 85R tires

The only way to know for sure is look for the pressure rating on the wheel itself. (stamped behind the spokes on the rims flat dish) You may have to remove the wheel from the trailer to see the marks.
I think the max. rating on the oem wheel is 110psi. which may be ok for your tire.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

The pressure is determined by the loading on the tire and not the maximum allowable for the tire or the rim. Over inflation can cause issues too!

jnbhobe

The pressure is determined by the loading on the tire and not the maximum allowable for the tire or the rim. Over inflation can cause issues too!

Yes, but the wheel had to be rated to handle the capacity of the intended tire.

NWILSON

Yes, but the wheel had to be rated to handle the capacity of the intended tire.
Why?
The wheel only has to be able to handle the intended maximum load and the tire and wheel size have to be compatible.

tljack

When reading my Heartland manual and seeing that ST tires are rated of a max speed of 65 and "it is recommended you do not travel that speed for any length of time" I got to being concerned. Talked to a friend who is asst. manager at a Les Schwab. He told me about his first trip in his new rig with factory tires. 2 blown tires and $5000 damage later he changed them.

Recently I had some things done to our 5th wheel including a minor body ding. When leaving I told the service writer we will be back soon to have a couple more things done when we get home from this trip. The body shop manager was there also and then I told her we did not want to see her. He comment was "then get rid of those tires"!

The service writer told me they had 7 rigs in that week along with damamge from blown ST rated tires.

WE drove across the street to Les Schwab and changed tires. LS by the way gave me $200 in trade!

jnbhobe

Why?
The wheel only has to be able to handle the intended maximum load and the tire and wheel size have to be compatible.

That may be OK for you and me I could possibly do it myself, but I don't know if a tire dealer can legally and knowingly install a tire on a wheel that can't support the capacity of the tire. My tire dealers won't sell only 2 tires for an all wheel drive car because of liability of the AWD system, thats just an example.

NWILSON

That may be OK for you and me I could possibly do it myself, but I don't know if a tire dealer can legally and knowingly install a tire on a wheel that can't support the capacity of the tire. My tire dealers won't sell only 2 tires for an all wheel drive car because of liability of the AWD system, thats just an example.
I contacted both Goodyear and Sendel prior to buying the G614s. Neither had an issue with the T03/G614 pairing. Goodyear sent me a loading/pressure chart and pointed out that my use would require a pressure well within the limits for the wheel.

mmastin

I just talked to Tredit, the manufacturer of the rims, and was told that I cannot pout a 110 psi tire on my rims. My rims are the 5 spoke ones and are rated at 3580 pound max load. Anyone else heard this same thing? I was about to replace all the tires with GeoStar G574's, but now will have to back to the TowMax tires until I can afford to replace the rims.I hate to do this but right now don't see another choice.

NWILSON

I believe that Tredit is just a distributor of tires and rims.
Some of the rims they sell to RV manufacturers are made by Sendel. You should talk to the manufacturer to get the definite answer to your questions

Here is the link to Sendel if they are the ones who made your wheels http://www.sendelwheel.com/

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I just talked to Tredit, the manufacturer of the rims, and was told that I cannot pout a 110 psi tire on my rims. My rims are the 5 spoke ones and are rated at 3580 pound max load. Anyone else heard this same thing? I was about to replace all the tires with GeoStar G574's, but now will have to back to the TowMax tires until I can afford to replace the rims.I hate to do this but right now don't see another choice.

Tredit did tell us this a year ago when we were considering new tires.

Here is our wheel, I believe the T03.

IMG_7645small.JPG

We went with Maxxis 8008, 235/80R16, 3420 Max Lbs. Have been very happy with them. Over 12K this year. Of course our rig doesn't weigh as much as your Cyclone. We weighed 13425 at Gillette this year, 10225 on axles.

GOTTOYS

Tredit Tire doesn't manufacture rims. They are a supplier. I would take one of the wheels off and look for yourself. In the middle of one of the spokes on the backside it will give the rating for tire pressure. If it says 110 PSI you can use a G rated tire. I would go with the American made Goodyear G614s if you want a G rated tire or any one of a number of 235/85/16 LT tires if you want to stick with an E rated tire that runs 80 PSI. TowMax is about the last tire I would put on. There are probably some people on here that will give you a set of those FREE. Lots of us have been using LT tires for thousands of miles with no problems. Look around on this forum and see what others have to say about TowMax as well as LT tires...Don

mmastin

Checked the SenDel web site and the 8-bolt rim is good is rated 3580 lbs at 100 psi. Les Schwab, where I am going to buy the tires, has also confirmed that the tire/rim combo will work, so it looks like I will be the proud owner of six new tires.

TXTiger

Check out the Mitchlen XPS Rib tires. They are on par with the Goodyear G614 but are only 80 PSI so would work with your existing rims. I just got them on my Cyclone but they are too new to give an opinion yet.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I had Micheline tires on both of my Bighorns and never had a moment's trouble with them.

stsmark

i replaced my Towmax with Toyo HT with Tuff Duty load e LTs and could not be happier, The Cyclone is much more settled towing and tracks like it's on rails. 220.00 per tire at Les Schwab.

mmastin

i replaced my Towmax with Toyo HT with Tuff Duty load e LTs and could not be happier, The Cyclone is much more settled towing and tracks like it's on rails. 220.00 per tire at Les Schwab.

I went ahead with the GeoStar G574 tires (ST235/85R16). Only have about 1,000 miles on them - so far so good. The trailer handles much better with thes etires and I feel more confident driving down the road.