Tire Upgrade?? Maybe??

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
No trouble yet. But the TowMax make me worry. Light weight 5er. Only around 9000lb. Currently 15" D rated tires. Not hearing alot of troubles with them, as the heavier trailers. Not as many choices in E rated 15" Maybe 16" would be better. I'm sure someone has a set of 16" rims sitting around, that they want to sell.

Any suggestions. Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The tire most often suggested in your size and rating is the Maxxis. You should have no trouble finding them to fit your existing wheels. Be sure to verify the capacity of your wheels. They should be stamped on the rear either on a spoke or the hub.

Regarding your current TowMax tires, check the date code. Watch them closely and if you have concerns, the Maxxis should serve you well.

dougw

HI have some 16x8 but they are 8 lug so they probably won't work. However, I'd agree with the maxxis. I had them on my old and never had an issue.

gebills

Hi JWalker: I would second the recommendation on the Maxxis tires. After pricing the tires, my findings were that the Maxxis tires in my size (235/80R16) were less than half the price of Goodyears (G614 RST's in 235/85R16). The Michelin's were higher in price than the Goodyear's. Although I do not have first hand experience, numerous persons on this forum warn against buying the Goodyear Marathon tires.

I bought the Maxxis tires this past February, replacing the original Tow Max tires. The Tow Max's had approximately 11,500 miles on them when I took them off. I have roughly, only 1,500 miles on the new Maxxis tires currently, but they look new and are doing fine. Much more comforting to roll down the road knowing I'm not going to be a Tow Max statistic. Incidently, when changing tires, pay careful attention to the valve stems the tire shop uses. They put rubber stems on my wheels, and I didn't notice until I was about to pull out of the tire lot. I quickly brought it to the salesperson's attention, and as I was short on time that day, they happily changed the stems to metal stems two weeks later, plus they gave me a $70 credit for my trouble, which paid for the diesel fuel. The metal stems made quite a bit of difference in the TPMS reading tire temperature as compared to the rubber stems reflecting close to ambient temperatures while under tow. Happy Trails, gebills

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
X3 on Maxxis. Have probably close to 20k in 19 mo. Still look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I wouldn't trust the Towmax. Our BH was 5 months old and I blew one. It destroyed my fender and erased my brake wires. I had to drop the underbelly and rewired. I always check my tire pressure and it wasn't hot. Needless to say I was P.O.ed and the other 3 are gone now. I've been running 14 ply Hankook tires on my equipment trailer for a while now so I put them on the 5er and so far they are great. About half the price of Goodyear.