Air Bags Installed - Now the Questions

Greengas

Just picked up my 2012 F350 4x4 SRW after having airbags and wireless remote installed. Everything seems to work well but the real test comes on tuesday when I hitch up the landmark and tow it to the shop to get the final warranty work done. Now, from those of you that have air bags, what do you keep them at when not towing? What tips and hints can you share. Looking forward to everyones insight

pegmikef

I have the airlift airbags and I run mine between 10 and 15 not towing and about 35 towing. Works good for me and keeps the rig level, but you will probably have to experiment to see what works best for your setup. I have a dually and a lighter trailer (14k loaded) so mine will be different than yours. Mine has a stated minimum of five pounds and I think that is to keep the bags from getting pinched and possibly creating a hole.

scottyb

10 psi empty and 50 - 55 towing for me. Measure the height of your bumper before hitching. Then add air until it reaches that height. Check the pressure required. You may decide to tweak it after towing for a while but at least you will know where your headlights are pointed.

brianharrison

I add air after I hook up - I have a SRW with overloads - I add air until the overloads are just engaged (before they lift off). I works out to be about 35-38 psi when the bags are under load.

Less than 5 psi when empty.

Hope this helps,
Brian

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have a Landmark you will probably be heavier than a Big Horn. We run 35-45 psi towing and 5 psi when not towing. After hitching add air till you are level. You do not want the headlights pointing in the trees nor 5 feet in front of the tow vehicle.

RoadJunkie

The specs with my Firestone bags say 12 psi minimum, so I try to keep them running at 15 psi, unloaded.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Not towing - minimum 5 lbs, hooked up - enough air to make the truck level which if I remember correctly about 40-45 lbs. It all depends on your truck hitched to your camper and how level you want the truck to be pulling the camper.

caissiel

I don't use air but added spring plies.
The best ride is accomplished by loading the springs till the overload springs are barely loaded. To much load on the overload will produce a rough ride. Not enough load on the springs might cause axle twist or wrap that may be very uncomfortable while towing.
Air pressure might be different for everyone.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Greengas

Thanks for the advice and guidance, it really helps. I'll post an update after I hitch up on Tuesday.

porthole

Retired
Using the unloaded ride height measurement as a final goal with the trailer hooked up is, IMHO, too much air. Your goal is to supplement the suspension, not make it equal to unloaded ride height with the air bags filled to the 60-70's air shock level :)

Just my opinion, but, i would set your ride height with the Landmark hitched up to 1"-2" below the unloaded ride height.

Odds are your truck will be closer to level and you will have a good base point to start at.

ARCliz

Great advise and ideas , as I am new to the game and trying to get our TV set up. Has any one tried an AUTO system such as " Smart Air" by Air Lift / or Auto Level Command # 2186 by Firestone Ride Rite ? any and all input is appreciated !!

porthole

Retired
Great advise and ideas , as I am new to the game and trying to get our TV set up. Has any one tried an AUTO system such as " Smart Air" by Air Lift / or Auto Level Command # 2186 by Firestone Ride Rite ? any and all input is appreciated !!

Not exactly. But, I have used AirLift's wireless kit and while not exactly an auto level, it is the next best thing, especially with a toy hauler. Wireless control of the bag fill and dump. I am still using my wireless kit to control the air bags in my hitch.

The firestone kit you linked to uses a standard "HCV", height control valve. You could use that on any air ride system, and those valves are what you will find on all the air ride tractor trailers.

The suspension on my truck uses two of those valves, one on each side of the springs. They are bolted to the frame and have a link attached to the spring.

With air bags you could find your optimum height and then set those valves. Then no matter how much weight you put in the bed the bags will fill to the the level set with the links - within the operating range of the kit of course.

Donhutch1800

We have a 2012 landmark San Antonio and f350 king ranch.I run the minimun5psi unloaded.And 25 to 35 when loaded.You don't need to run anymore than that .I have but coach seems to ride a little rough.