jbeletti's 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

porthole

Retired
Re: Bought a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

We've been having numerous problems with Amazon Prime deliveries going through USPS. I've talked with the local Postmaster and with our carrier. They are getting so many Amazon packages that they're overwhelmed. And the carrier has a problem with size of the boxes. His personal vehicle is already almost full with the mail bins. He can handle a few small packages on top of that and then he out of space. So we're just getting notices in the mailbox that the package is available for pickup at the Post Office. And Amazon is frequently sending shipping updates that say the delivery date has been missed and they're not sure when the package will be delivered - contact us in 3-5 days if it doesn't show up. A redelivery request is usually honored, but usually takes an additional 2 days.

I've been complaining to Amazon and asking them to allow us to opt out of USPS deliveries. And every time they miss a "guaranteed delivery" date, I'm asking Amazon for compensation.

I'd say your local PO needs to get on the ball. The USPS has been digging a hole for themselves since they went on strike many moons ago.

Their future is not regular mail - I doubt I get one piece of real mail a week now. Amazon and the likes, Fedex and UPS all use the postal service now, probably is what is keeping the PO afloat..

Although we have an occasional glitch with prime, for the most part every 2 day order has gotten here in 2 days, including saturdays and sundays.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Bought a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Have they compensated you in some way for the miss?

I have had amazon refund shipping on an overnight order that didn’t show up on time with out me asking for said refund. Knock on wood no issues yet on the 2 day prime shipping that came usps. Most of mine are a mix of usps and ups. If it is coming out of the Texas warehouse it will come usps and other places it is ups for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Re: Love the Tailgate Step in my 2017 F450

Today, while adjusting the Roll-N-Lock cover tracks, I decided to use this $20 (on-sale & w/coupon) aluminum step from Harbor Freight to help me reach the Ford step. Perfect!

Same problem. I carry one of those cheapie plastic fold up stools and store on top of everything thing under the back seat on the driver's side. I need it to lock and unlock my hitch as well.

Bones

With all my recalls and the last issues with my ram it makes me want to trade it in for a Ford. Maybe.......😁😁

Bones

Dave don't go test drive one unless your serious

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Unless the wife changes her mind I'm banned any way. But it's getting ridiculous now on my recalls. Now it's the water pump. I go in Saturday right before my big trip on Sunday

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Had an unusual incident with my Navigation system today. The “no gps” symbol came on and the nav lost orientation after awhile (it actually tracked by speed and direction for a short time). It would not reset. When it got dark and the screen switched to night view, the gps came back on and nav is working. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATM

Re: Buying a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Any updates?

Follow-up on my Remote Access install...

Fairway Ford told me they heard back from their other 2017 customer that the replacement VSS module with the different vendor p/n DID work. So that's good news.

My replacement VSS module was snafued in the USPS system. It shipped last Wednesday but never changed in the USPS system from "Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item". I spoke to Kevin in Parts on Friday and he assured me it went out. As their post office had just closed for the day, he planned to follow-up with them on Monday or send me another replacement.

Well, it's now Sunday and I just refreshed my USPS tracking screen and the system now shows "In Transit" and planned delivery is Monday. Cool!

I'm thinking this really was an issue at USPS. Maybe them contracting with Amazon and other carriers to make household deliveries, even on Sundays - is stressing their system too much.

jbeletti

Re: Buying a 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

Any updates?

Oh sorry about that - yes! It works!

So Fairplay Ford sent me a replacement VSS module and it all fired up perfectly.

Here's a link to all my Remote Access pics. Note that most pics have written detail at the bottom of each picture page if you click on the full-size image.

Here's a pic of the VSS module. Left image is the first VSS module starting with "1595". Right image is the replacement VSS module that did work for me.
IMG_5446.jpg

Note that the Ford part for this item is not different. It's the vendor part number that is different. From what I've learned, if you have a 2017 Super Duty, you need the VSS with a vendor part that does NOT begin with 1595.

jbeletti

I am not clear on what remote access is and what the purpose of the module is. Do I need one?
Mike - you do not "need" one. It gives you the ability to remote start the truck when the FOB is out of range of the truck to remote start with it. Examples: In your hotel room, in a restaurant, in a mall etc. There "may" be times, especially when it's very hot or very cold outside, where you want to pre-condition the truck interior before you arrive at it. This allows you to do that. It uses cellular technology built into it. Of course, this feature is dependent on the truck and your cell phone being within range of a cell tower.

So as you can see, this is not a "need". But it could be a "want". This truck has so much else on it, I figured I'd spend another $310 and add this :)

jbeletti

B&W 5th Wheel Hitch Modification (T-Rex)

Today I installed Jerrod's T-Rex Bar / Hardware modification to my B&W 5th Wheel Hitch.

Disclaimer: Jerrod makes a few of these here and there but for liability reasons, is not making these available for general sale - so please don't ask him for one.

Here's a pic of the T-Rex hardware installed:
T-Rex Bar Kit - Installed - Hitch Closed and Locked 1.jpg
Here's a link to the entire image gallery for this project.

Below is a link to a video of this mod in operation.
[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Vehicles/2017-Ford-F450-Platinum/Hitch-Modification-T-Rex/i-TWqQ7GC/0/a6311954/1920/T-Rex%20Bar%20-%20Operation-1920.mp4[/video]

Link to my truck mod index.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Truck Bed Organization Mod

Today, I installed an item in my truck bed that allows me to safely store a small aluminum step stool with folding legs. I use this step to reach my Ford tailgate step a bit easier as the F450 4x4 is pretty high in the back to reach that step.

I ordered the Modular Bedside Rack System - Large Panel for the Passenger Side from BuiltRight Industries - product link. While the product description states "2015+ Ford F-150", I can confirm fitment for the 2017 F450. The rack includes an offset bracket and hardware to bolt the bottom right corner of the rack to the bed tie-down hook, low on the bed corner post near the floor. The main portion of the rack mounts to the bed wall using the hardware on the bed for the Box Link bracket.

Installation was quick and easy. You will need the following Torx head drivers or socket adapters: T30 and T-tbd

Though I didn't order any, BuiltRight also markets the Quick Fist brand of rubber clamps that fit the slots in their Bedside Rack System.

Here's a picture of the rack installed and the step stool folded up and held tight to the rack with a bungee cord. Safely stored in a convenient location.
BuiltRight Industries Modular Bedside Rack System Large Panel - Passenger Side Rear.jpg

Below is a picture of and here's a link to the HaulMaster "Step Stool/Working Platform" from Harbor Freight. I picked this up for $20 on sale and with coupon.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz382.jpg

Link to my truck mod index.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Mike - you do not "need" one. It gives you the ability to remote start the truck when the FOB is out of range of the truck to remote start with it. Examples: In your hotel room, in a restaurant, in a mall etc. There "may" be times, especially when it's very hot or very cold outside, where you want to pre-condition the truck interior before you arrive at it. This allows you to do that. It uses cellular technology built into it. Of course, this feature is dependent on the truck and your cell phone being within range of a cell tower.

So as you can see, this is not a "need". But it could be a "want". This truck has so much else on it, I figured I'd spend another $310 and add this :)

Thanks Jim. You're right. That's in the "nice to have" category. After a month, I am still trying to figure out all the stuff on this truck.

Bones

B&W 5th Wheel Hitch Modification (T-Rex)

Today I installed Jerrod's T-Rex Bar / Hardware modification to my B&W 5th Wheel Hitch.

Disclaimer: Jerrod makes a few of these here and there but for liability reasons, is not making these available for general sale - so please don't ask him for one.

Here's a pic of the T-Rex hardware installed:
View attachment 55620

Below is a link to a video of this mod in operation.
[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Vehicles/2017-Ford-F450-Platinum/Hitch-Modification-T-Rex/i-TWqQ7GC/0/a6311954/1920/T-Rex%20Bar%20-%20Operation-1920.mp4[/video]
Jim,
How well do the jaws wrap around your king pin?

Bones

The close 50/50 on each side of it. Why ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's hard to explain but I'm looking to see the spaced used in the recessed portion of the king pin where the jaws wrap around. It would give me an idea of how much potential vertical play there is until it would hit the bottom of the king pin. I don't know if that made any sense. I wouldn't be able to take any pictures until maybe Thursday when I pick my trailer up.