A 5th-wheel "What is . . . this?" list!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
OK . . . I'm new to the 5th-wheel family (only four days into it), but not to owning travel trailers.

And I'm trying to figure out all of these new 5th-wheel phrases and such, so I need some kind of list of 5th-wheel terminology!

I keep reading about the 'UDC' and for the life of me can't put three words together that UDC could stand for.

I'm sure it is easy and will be one of those 'What the DOH!' moments . . .

And many other letters and phrases tossed around here that I need to know so I don't look as stupid as I really am . . . :p

What a minute . . . did I just say that about myself??? :cool:

Anywayz . . . I know what the king pin is (have almost hit my head on it several times already) . . .

So, what is all of the terminology I need to know to be a real 5th-wheeler???? :confused:

I'm sure there are other newbies out there wondering the same things . . .

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
UDC = Universal Docking Center. On most models that's where the cable, water, black tank flush and some other connections are located. Depending on the model, it may also contain the pulls for the holding tank and satellite TV connectors.

Oregon_Camper

UDC = Universal Docking Center. Funny thing is when I was reading all the literature on the Bighorn, I thought the Universal Docking Center was where I would dock my Smartphone. Even had the tech at the dealership looking for the location where I would "dock" my phone.

Live and learn...
:D

JohnD

UDC = Universal Docking Center. Funny thing is when I was reading all the literature on the Bighorn, I thought the Universal Docking Center was where I would dock my Smartphone. Even had the tech at the dealership looking for the location where I would "dock" my phone.

Live and learn...
:D

Well . . . thats better than what I came up with . . .

"Under 'de camper!" :rolleyes:

Thats all I could come up with for UDC . . . :eek:

I know there are some other new 5th-wheel terms I need to know . . .

Keep 'em coming!

MTPockets

John, "TYN" ......... Torque Your Nuts.... After taking delivery on our Big Horn, I checked all the nut torques and found many well under spec. One of the most common discussed are wheel lug nut torques, but you should also check the pin box mounting nuts, your hitch nuts, and for me one vastly overlooked; your axle U-Bolts. You should find in your manuals the proper torque values, but if not, contact the factory for the proper torque values. I recheck mine periodically and now they seem to stay tight, but for the first two years I always found some nuts below torque. I believe some problems people experience with tire wear is attributed to improper U-Bolt torque. If these are loose, that axle will move around.

HornedToad

Another term you've probably heard before, but cannot appreciate until you've towed a fifth wheel trailer.
"Chucking"... where the trailer bouncing over the bumps in the road is magnified to the tow vehicle through the fifth wheel hitch.

Congrats on your new Prowler... Enjoy!!!

JohnD

Another term you've probably heard before, but cannot appreciate until you've towed a fifth wheel trailer.
"Chucking"... where the trailer bouncing over the bumps in the road is magnified to the tow vehicle through the fifth wheel hitch.

Congrats on your new Prowler... Enjoy!!!

Chucking . . . I've read about that around here.

Even though I only have about 40 miles of 5'vr pulling thus far, I believe I experienced a little of that on the way home.

I stayed off of the highway (Friday afternoon during rush hour) and took the back roads home.

But the chucking wasn't too bad from what I could tell.

'Lil Guy'

John, forget about all of this terminology. You are about to discover a lot more between you and your DW while backing that thing up. I just got used to my TT when I got a 5er about your size. Had a heck of a time learning when to start the turn, when to ease out of the turn to get it where I want it. Debbie was useless at this endeavor. I just ignored her and would get out and look every little bit while she talked away on the phone in my truck. Probably would have done better if I had turned off the phone. Then I decided to put her in the drivers seat since I could tell her how to turn the wheel to get the right input to the 5er. Wrong. I had her pull up, stop, turn the wheel hard left to get it started and it would come in too quick and miss the spot. Tell her to pull up again and tell her to do what I say this time(lol) This goes on and on till the neighbors take their kids in the house. Once we get it where it's almost aligned and I can see in the mirrors, I finish it. I do this by saying to get out of my truck and get out of the way.Then I smoothly back it in. I don't have the heart to tell her I was giving her bad input with the steering. I doubt if I could back that thing up if I had a remote control and stood outside during the process.
I may have to just pull into all of the back in spots I encounter and worry about how to get it out later.
John, enjoy your new Prowler and hope to run into you down the road.

JohnD

John, forget about all of this terminology. You are about to discover a lot more between you and your DW while backing that thing up. I just got used to my TT when I got a 5er about your size. Had a heck of a time learning when to start the turn, when to ease out of the turn to get it where I want it. Debbie was useless at this endeavor. I just ignored her and would get out and look every little bit while she talked away on the phone in my truck. Probably would have done better if I had turned off the phone. Then I decided to put her in the drivers seat since I could tell her how to turn the wheel to get the right input to the 5er. Wrong. I had her pull up, stop, turn the wheel hard left to get it started and it would come in too quick and miss the spot. Tell her to pull up again and tell her to do what I say this time(lol) This goes on and on till the neighbors take their kids in the house. Once we get it where it's almost aligned and I can see in the mirrors, I finish it. I do this by saying to get out of my truck and get out of the way.Then I smoothly back it in. I don't have the heart to tell her I was giving her bad input with the steering. I doubt if I could back that thing up if I had a remote control and stood outside during the process.
I may have to just pull into all of the back in spots I encounter and worry about how to get it out later.
John, enjoy your new Prowler and hope to run into you down the road.

Yup!

I was a master backing up a bumper pull trailer . . . I could back in to the smallest and tightest spot with no problems . . . and usually without assistance!

When I was ready to put the new Prowler in it's new parking spot, I quickly discovered that I was in for a new experience.

Took me about 15 minutes to finigle it into the tight spot next to our house . . . but I still felt that was pretty good for my first time.

Cathy was back there and we were using the bluetooth in the truck to her cell phone . . . and I did have to get out several times just to see what was going on.

What is ironic is that our former Trail Runner had one slide and there was no room to put it out when stored next to the garage, but now I have the Prowler in the same spot with all three slides extended!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg
    ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 382
  • ProwlerInYard-P1000056.jpg
    ProwlerInYard-P1000056.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 383

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
And JohnD I hope you realize the little guy is a master BSer as well you just have to figure out what is bull and what is not...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, 1st of all...good looking rig. You might look into a Mor/Ryde pinbox for the chucking. You will need the frame # and the weight of your 5'er to get the correct one. They make a world of difference. A 5'er reacts slower when backing into a site. You are pulling a semi trailer now. Phones are fine I guess, but to me the best way is to have your spotter (Cathy) stand to left side of the trailer so she can see your face in the mirror and use hand signals or yelling to guide you. " If you cant see my face in the mirror...I cant see you" . Is my moto and it works with no yelling.

JohnD

I've read a little about the Mor/Ride pin box . . . and tried to get them to throw one in . . . but of course they didn't want to do that.

At least I got them to throw in the Reese 16K Slider hitch including installation!

I'm going to pull it the way it is for the next couple of short trips just to get the feel of the trailer . . . then perhaps do the switch to the Mor/Ride!

We were hoping to take the trailer out tonight and tomorrow night to give it a shakedown . . . but couldn't get two nights in the same campground with this short of a notice.

We do have July 4th weekend booked about 50 miles from home, so I guess that will be the Prowler's maiden voyage!

We'll be at a KOA, so will have Wifi and can upload some shots.

JohnD

Oh yeah . . . another one I've read here was a 'slam door' . . .

Our salesman (Thomas at Four Season's RV in Loveland, CO) showed me what those are!

cgunn

Common RV / Online Abbreviations

5er = Fifth Wheel Trailer
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BIL = Brother In Law
BTW = By The Way
CG = Campground
DH = Dear Husband
DIL = Daughter In Law
DW = Dear Wife
FIL = Father In Law
FWIW = For What It’s Worth
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IMO = = In My Opinion
LOL = Laughing Out Loud
MIL = Mother In Law
OP = Original Post or Original Poster
PM = Private Message
ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO = Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off
SIL = Sister In Law / Son In Law
SOB = Some Other Brand
TH = Toy Hauler Trailer
TOB = That Other Brand(s)
TT = Travel Trailer
UDC=Universal Docking Station
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

I'm sure there is lot's more.....

Westwind

From your pics I can see the section of fence next to the garage is a good thing, it will keep you from hitting the garage roof overhang, I have the same situation but no fence and it's on the opposite side which I can't see well so I'm always paranoid about it, I too have fired my wife from helping me back in, I'm afraid someone will call the Police while listening to us yell at each other. I've been backing the FW in and out for 3 years and for some reason I have a serious disconnect on the correct way to look in the mirrors and turn the wheel the correct direction. I'm (SC - Steering Challenged - not on CGUNN's list) is what my wife called me.