Anyone with experience towing mid-profile 5th wheel with Ford 6.2L gasser?

CPDDet

New to this forum so I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed in earlier posts. If so, I apologize.

I have a 2012 F350 4X4 DRW truck with the 6.2L gas engine and a 4.3 rear axle ratio. I'm considering a Heartland mid-profile 5th wheel (9900 GVWR) and wondered if anyone has experience with a similar engine and rig.

I'm especially interested on how well this combination handles longer, steeper grades.

Would appreciate any and all comments.

Dave

danemayer

Hi Dave,

A couple of things to look at:

1. How much can the truck pull (horizontal load)?
2. What payload will it safely carry (vertical load)?
3. Gas engines develop max horsepower at high RPMs, so on steep uphill grades a gas engine will be screaming.
4. On steep downhill grades, having an engine brake will make it possible to control speed better with much less braking.
5. Unless you're very, very certain that you'll never move to a larger RV, you should consider a truck that gives you some extra capacity over and above the trailer you're currently considering.

One of our owners set up Fifth Wheel Safe Towing to help you match the capability of your tow vehicle to the trailer you're looking at. Here's a link.

CPDDet

The combined vehicle weight rating is 22500, my curb weight is 7700, leaving 14800 towing capacity. The truck has a GVWR of 13300.
Due to the fact I ordered the truck with a slide in camper package my load capacity is 5400.
My old truck camper weighed in at just over 5000
Yes, it does scream going up steeper grades. Found that out when touring the northern Rockies and the Smoky / Appellation mountains in the east. I got pretty used to running 5000 RPM in 2nd or 3rd gear at times. I understand these engines are designed for higher RPMs and I never experienced any mechanical difficulties.

CPDDet

Right now I'm most interested in the Sundance XLT 285TS or the new model North Peak NP28TS. Both of these are 31'4" long with a GVWR of 9900 pounds. There is a new XLT model 289TS but no published stats on that yet.

I don't trust "dry weights" or "unloaded weights" published by the manufactures as they usually don't include the weight of optional items. So I prefer to use the maximum GVRW of the unit when shopping. I want to keep things right about 10000 pounds total weight.

The 285TS shows a 2130 pound load capacity. Of course one needs to include the weight of options, water, propane, gear, food and clothing. But 2130 pounds is pretty generous for our needs.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like my previous post didnt come up.

The truck has a 14,500 pound tow capacity and a 5300 pound load capacity.

- - - Updated - - -

Danemayer,

Thanks for the link. I know my truck is within the limits of a 10000 pound 5th wheel, as far as pin weight and tow capacity. What I'm interested in is hearing from others who may be towing a 10000 pound, or heavier, 5th wheel with the 6.2L engine and what their experience has been.

Thanks again for all your help!

ncc1701e

New to this forum so I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed in earlier posts. If so, I apologize.

I have a 2012 F350 4X4 DRW truck with the 6.2L gas engine and a 4.3 rear axle ratio. I'm considering a Heartland mid-profile 5th wheel (9900 GVWR) and wondered if anyone has experience with a similar engine and rig.

I'm especially interested on how well this combination handles longer, steeper grades.

Dave

My previous setup was a Sundance 2800 (8700# dry) and a F250 6.4 gas (2011). Pulled it a lot of mile included to Rapid City, SD from KY. Made that trip in August. Pulled it to Myrtle Beach through the mointains. While the truck trailer combo did okay I have never been sorry in going to a diesel. The biggest problem I personally saw was overheating in the truck. You really have to watch your temps. My truck had a 3.73 gear. That 4.30 is going to keep your motor screaming a lot. Can you do it? Probabily. Would any of us reccommend it, not likely.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
You will have folks on this forum say you have to have a diesel. Some will say you have to have a dually. I say before you spend any money you try and pull your rig of choice with what you have and make an educated decision based on your own experiences.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
You will have folks on this forum say you have to have a diesel. Some will say you have to have a dually. I say before you spend any money you try and pull your rig of choice with what you have and make an educated decision based on your own experiences.

I agree with Mike and that is what I did when we switched from our 29' mid profile to our Elkridge full profile. I had a 2004 Ram 2500 and used it for 3 trips with the Elkridge in the fall. After these trips I knew we definitely needed a 3500 and love the dually.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My 2cts. If I was going to full time. I would get at least a 250/2500 or maybe a 350/3500 diesel truck 2011 or newer. Better fuel mileage, way more power, exhaust brakes and you could move up to a bigger trailer at some time. Way to often we see people buy a trailer to fit a truck. 2 years later they want a bigger trailer. Now you have to buy a bigger truck to do that. Get a bigger truck now so you don't take a big hit in $$$ later.

mcolson84

I towed my parents Ragen TH with their 2011 6.2L Ford from Durango CO to Silverton CO for them on two separate occasions. That particular trailer weight around 9800 Lbs. loaded out. The truck had pretty good power, it did suffer on some long grades at the higher elevations. We have also pulled as a convoy several times when I had my 2011 Powerstroke and my 415rw. The 415rw weighed just a shade over 20k loaded out. We seemed to be pretty evenly matched when towing through the mountains. There were times I could not gain speed as quickly on an uphill grade as he could, but neither of us could leave the other one behind per say. The 6.2L has plenty of power, it just has to have the crap run out it to get the job done. My dad never regretted pulling his TH with it. He did for a short time even pull their 40' Brookstone bunkhouse (16K i believe) with it in the flat country around Midland TX when they were there for a year, and he said it did fine.

They are just fine for pulling that light of a trailer. With all that being said, when I bought my HDT and had to sell the Powerstroke he didn't hesitate to buy it. He hated diesels until that point. He now freely admits that there is no comparison between the two for pulling. Your truck will do the job though, just not as fast, and not as stylish in some peoples opinion. I forgot to add, if your gasser is paid off you will be plenty happy with its performance!

agpopp

Just joined and saw the thread and thought I'd chime in. I'm pulling a 2800rls with my Crew Cab F250 V10 4.30's. Truck pulls great and the engine does not "scream" at all because of the gears. I pull most grades at 35-3800 rpm, and if it does downshift into the 4500 rpm range I back off. Your newer engine and my v10 are not really that different in power so I think you will be fine. This is my first mid-profile and there is a difference for sure in the wind resistance to the tune of 8mpg- I'm very glad fuel is down right now! Truck gets 13-14 empty even with the gears. BTW- I looked long and hard for a v10 and 4.30 gears. Good luck with the desicion!

Grey Ghost

I pull a 2011 Heartland Greystone 29mk, it is 34' from nose to toes, has three slides and with a dry weight of about 9300+lbs. I pull it all over the west, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, California and New Mexico with a 2012 F-250 6.2 Gasser and have had NO problems keeping up with the Jones's! Have pulled in Colorado over some pretty steep mountain passes. Pulled up to Utah and around the western part with NO problems. I very seldom carry a lot of water, just enough for the wife to use the potty if necessary.

jdamude

Dave

I had a 2014 f250 with the 6.2. We pulled a 2009 sundance 2900MK. The truck pulled the trailer with ease. Hike didn't bother us to much. The fuel consumption was on the heavy side. We since have upgraded to Diesel as we no have a BC4010.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I don't have experience towing a fiver with a gasser but we had a 30' mid profile Heartland for 4 years. Towed like a dream. Great trailer. Weighed in around 9000.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD has the 6.0L Vortec V8 gas engine and the 4.10 rear end and pulls our 9500 pound 2015 Heartland Prowler up the hills (ie.- the Rocky Mountains) without issue.

Granted, I'm not doing 90 MPH up to the Eisenhower Tunnel or Monarch Pass, but I don't have to floor the gas pedal to keep a speed that doesn't **** off everyone behind me.

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

While I don't have an issue going downhill, it would be nice to have the engine brake . . . but I can live without it for now.

When it is time to get a new truck and trailer (probably around 10 years, or if I win the Powerball on Wednesday) . . . it will be a dually diesel and a bigger 5'ver!

caissiel

Gas engine have much better braking then diesels so you will do well with the down shifting.
I towed a 6000 lbs 5th wheel with a 2.9V6 Ranger for 3 years all over the east coast from Canada to Florida for 3 years. No one passed me with a trailer neither.
The important thing to know is that the exhaust on most gas engine trucks are not set-up for high RPM mountain towing and the manifolds may overheat. It was my problem, which I solved by installing a wide open muffler. And 6000 RPM became the norm in the hills.
Your truck is way heavy for your application and adding to the load for the engine.
I would prefer a lighter truck for the gas engine but you will find the best towing method and do fine with the higher ratio rear end.
I bet you will be fine with your truck max capable towing capacity.
For info. Our 40 ft 5th wheel towed with the diesel gives me the same fuel mileage as the Ranger did before. And unloaded I average same mileage with the F250.
Cost per year depreciation is about twice for the diesel while the truck cost was 3 times. Not bad for 20 years difference.