PDA

View Full Version : Kingpin Tripods

LINKn8r
05-22-2008, 10:44 PM
For those of you with 5th Wheels, what is the purpose of placing a tripod under the kingpin? Does it make a noticeable difference for anything?

Oldlthrneck
05-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Supposedly that king pin support is for stability to minimize the rocking of the trailer. I used one for a bit and didn't notice any difference. If anything we felt it made it worse.
JMHO
Fred

Barry & Alana
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
We've used one for several years. I really notice when its not used.
We find it takes more of the side to side motion out of it. Its probably one of those things thats a personal choice -you either like or don't like!

Tom of Ypsi
05-23-2008, 06:45 AM
If you are going to be at the rally I have one for sale. We use the tripod with our last 5th wheel, not need with our Landmark because we have the trailair hitch.

Forrest Fetherolf
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM
For those of you with 5th Wheels, what is the purpose of placing a tripod under the kingpin? Does it make a noticeable difference for anything?

I have used a aluminum tripod, which does stabilize the RV. It is difficult to use if you have a TrailAir hitch-pin. I built the attached landing jack stabilizers for under $40, they are lighter, permanently attached, no storage space required, and under a minute to tighten. You can buy similar jack stabilizers online for $369 or more. After using both, I prefer to landing jack stabilizers.

Forrest

ChopperBill
05-26-2008, 02:43 PM
I never tried one and probably wont. There has to be a limit to how many gimmicks you and buy and store. I think they look kind of hokey so I will pass on this one.

Jburks
05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
We used a tripod with another brand and it seemed to help, have not seen the need with our Sundance.

jmgratz
05-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I use one if I am set up for more than a couple days, but since I have installed the stablizers on the landing gear the one for the kingpin seems like overkill. I never really did notice a whole lot of difference when I did use the kingpin stablizer. Personal choice I guess...

WRIGHT ll
05-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Several years ago we purchased a kingpin bipod which was supposed to provide the front of the 5er with support when the 5er wasn't attached to a TV. We no longer use it and I think it more than paid for itself over the years. Our BH has a trail-air pin box so it wouldn't work anyway. It is looking for a good home, FREE, if somebody would like to stop in Oklahoma City and take it off my hands. If somebody is interested send me a PM and let me know.

Clark
05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I have had a kingpin bipod for a number of years with my McKenzie Lakota 5W and it always seemed to improve the stability on that unit. I have just returned from a trip to Disney, about 1000 miles each way, and used the bipod while parked at the Fort Wilderness campground. The BH3055 was rock solid. I should note that the 3055 feels like it has much less rocking and swaying when parked than the Lakota anyway, so it may not be as useful now as it was previously.
Clark

HappyKayakers
05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
We've used a kingpin tripod for the last 2 years and it makes a difference to us. Can't use it at our current site because of the slope on the site. At another site, we had to air down the TrailAir pinbox to get it level. Called the folks at TrailAir first and they said no problem doing that -it will just rest on the stops.

kjazz
06-03-2009, 09:35 PM
We will be picking up our new Cyclone 3950 on Monday. I didn't notice much movement when we where checking it out. Is this something that we are going to notice later? I am obviously new to all of this so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

aatauses
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Before you go with a king pin you should at least review the different type of stabilizers that are on the market. We bought Ultra Fab and have had very good success.
aatauses

Cycloner3950
01-04-2010, 10:08 AM
If anything, it will protect you or a loved one from hitting their head or worse.....

The aluminum tri-pods are light and easy to set up.....so my wife says...lol

Cycloner3950
01-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Sorry..hitting their head on the kingpin that is...........

caissiel
01-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Forest, where did you get your material,
I feel its the only way to create the feel of being stable, the new tripods have an adjustable screw that defeats the tripods purpose. I tried to tie down the legs with ratchet straps and it did a so and so job but the straps were stretchable.
I make my own stuff for my camper and so far its been the best for me. A good coat of paint makes my items look good and heavy duty.

palebluedot
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I also have a tri-pod (galv. steel/heavy) for free if anyone is interested and in the area. We used it a few times and did not notice a great difference. It's been stored in the shop for over 3 years. I now use a couple of scissor jacks placed under the frame just in front of the front axle. This locates them about equal distance between the front landing gear and rear stabilizer. With the Bighorn being over 38 feet, it makes a world of difference (much better than the tri-pod) by not allowing the springs to flex when walking around in the unit.

biggziff
01-04-2010, 11:48 AM
The tripods work wonderfully if used properly. They'll remove nearly all side to side movement from the unit. The trick is that you need to orient them correctly and then load them (weight) properly. I've shown many people at campgrounds how to make their tripod work the way they had hoped it would!

Having said that...the landing gear cross braces are a better choice as they're easier to use and smaller to store.

Delaine and Lindy
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Used the King Pin Stablizer on our first 4 5th wheels but found it did little for us, so I gave it away. We only use our Hydraulic Jacks now. And have no need for any other stablization. GBY....

JohnDar
01-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I installed the Ultra-Fab stabilizers before we ever used the trailer, so I never tried using the tripod or bipod system. My BiL uses a bipod on their smaller Golden Falcon and says he can tell the difference (mine is better)

SouthernNights
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
My pin stabilizer did nothing to reduce movement so I turned it into this:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/001-3.jpg

SLJKansas
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
palebluedot - I have a set of scissor jacks that I put in front of the axles, but maybe too far forward. I placed them at the end of the lower front frame more or less under the steps that lead to the bedroom. They helped but not like I thought they would. So if I move then to just in front of the axle, would you think that I would get less bounce and a more stable feel? I have on old bi-pod that I had for my 30ft HHII, and it did seem to help, but I think it isn't heavy enough for the Big Horn. I wonder what shipping would be to get your tripod to Kansas City? Send me a PM with how much it weighs, I'll see what shipping charges will be. I may be interested in it.

palebluedot
01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
SLJKansas (Steve)
I think the secret to the scissor jacks is to take some of the weight off the axle springs so they cannot flex downward when walking around in the coach. I try to raise the frame about 1 inch with the jacks. To accomplish this, they have to be placed very near the axles. I have a treated 6X6 placed vertically under the jack as it is too great a height between the ground and the frame for the jack itself. I am weighing the tri-pod per your request and will PM you with that info and hopefully a photo sometime this AM. It is 17 degrees in south MS this morning, so it make take a couple hours.

wdk450
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I have used a aluminum tripod, which does stabilize the RV. It is difficult to use if you have a TrailAir hitch-pin. I built the attached landing jack stabilizers for under $40, they are lighter, permanently attached, no storage space required, and under a minute to tighten. You can buy similar jack stabilizers online for $369 or more. After using both, I prefer to landing jack stabilizers.

Forrest

Forrest:
I have been wanting stabilizers, but like you, don't like the price for what they are. I am ready to start building a couple pair as a winter project. I can't seem to exactly figure out your materials from the pictures.

Here are some questions:
1. What are the 2 sizes of pipe? I am assuming they are steel conduit.
2. What are the details of your center clamp? I see what looks like the thumbscrew on a hose clamp, and maybe some hose (or is that a conduit connector?)
3. Is there anything critical about the angle brackets you used?
4. Are the trailer (not landing gear) ends connected to trailer metal frame or to wood framing?

Thanks for the great idea!!!

Delaine and Lindy
01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
There are so many issues that can cause movement. The cheapest gadget I tried was a simple screw type jack stand. Placed just in front of the front axle. They did help in movement, but anything less that concrete blocks and shims you will have some movement in many 5th wheels. We some forget we are setting on air and springs. Good Luck to all. GBY...

SLJKansas
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
palebluedot.
I have 10X10x16 that a friend gave me to put under the jacks, his FIL cuts railroad ties and there were left over pieces, untreated. Will be putting polyurethane on them and installing handles before I use then next season. I had them in front of the axles 3-4 ft. (from memory) so moving them back may help.

Send you a PM pack.

dynaguy
01-19-2010, 05:35 PM
I just purchased a new cyclone 3950 and the parts manager at lakeshore rv recommended a king pin stabilizer. I see quite a few replys to the original thread and was just curious if any of the members had ever built there own stabilizer. The cost is extremely cheap to just buy one the concept certainly seems to be correct I just wondered if there was a range of different quality and if so is there any one brand to buy or maybe since I weld i can make my own. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks, TC

lwmcguir
01-19-2010, 05:40 PM
My pin stabilizer did nothing to reduce movement so I turned it into this:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/001-3.jpg

We added the cross stabilizers as well and they really work well.

SouthernNights
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Like this?

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/002-3.jpg

dynaguy
01-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Some real good ideas but I have to say that I really like the one posted by SouthernNights. Welding for a hobby thats a pretty creative use of a tripod. I will have to buy one , cut it apart and make me one of those!! DG

Big Al and Donna
01-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I had one and gave it away. Didn't make any difference and a big hassle to lug around and set up. We are going to get the JT stabalizers this year. I have heard that they do make a difference. Could use some help here, do they really work or will they be like the tripod?????

katkens
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
I had one and gave it away. Didn't make any difference and a big hassle to lug around and set up. We are going to get the JT stabalizers this year. I have heard that they do make a difference. Could use some help here, do they really work or will they be like the tripod?????

I will say the Jt's was one of my better Rv investments and work as advertised. I have had them for 3 years and no regrets. I like the price better way back when I got them , lots cheaper back then.:D...Kenny

jnbhobe
01-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Al, You'll love em. Kenny made me getem. But they aren't cheep !!!!

katkens
01-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Al, You'll love em. Kenny made me getem. But they aren't cheep !!!!

Didn't you know its my job to help you spend your monies on neat RV stuff. Now ,if I could only get the other forum members from posting all these new mods ,I would be in fine shape. DW reads/looks at them and yes , they all seem to make my to do list. ....Bob

katkens-DW
01-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Bye the all it's a to do list he never has time to do!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Kathy

chrischaster
02-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok, I got a question... I am new to the 5th wheel scene ( haven't got it yet, should be here in a week or two ). I am interested in this topic and some of the comments. I am wondering if those of you on her commenting on the movement have front AND rear jacks....or just the front jacks??? My previous TT had a jack on each corner and was very stable. I assume that my new 3610RE would be the same with the four jacks. Only having the two front jacks would allow a lot more movement...I think?!?!?!?!?

DXprowler
02-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Larry... your braces look awfully familiar, just like the ones on my tripod! lol Good job! Just wondering what you used to attach the ends with. Any closeup pics?

SouthernNights
02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
BILL,

I cut the top of the tripod where the legs attach and welded the tripod bracket to the dolly pad.

The upper bracket was made out of a piece of 3/16 flat bar. Welded two ears to the flat bar and the bolted it the frame.

I will get some pics for you.

DXprowler
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Tnx Larry.... will be looking forward to the pics!

SouthernNights
02-23-2010, 04:48 PM
This was the top of the tripod where the legs attach, it is now welded to the dolly pad:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/HPIM1419.jpg

Upper bracket-note the angle. It is not square on the frame but at an angle so it will line up with the dolly leg which is inside the frame rails.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/HPIM1418.jpg

(http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/piratevader1/HPIM1418.jpg)

DXprowler
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Cool! Where's the dolly pad from? It's not the original pad is it? I can't quite figure it out?? And I guess you just drilled a hole threw the square tube at the top? How long was that tube (if you have the measurements handy)? Real slick Larry!

SouthernNights
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Cool! Where's the dolly pad from? It's not the original pad is it? I can't quite figure it out?? And I guess you just drilled a hole threw the square tube at the top? How long was that tube (if you have the measurements handy)? Real slick Larry!

It was the original pad. I used 5/8" square stock to slide inside the tripod leg. The inside of the tube measured 11/16". I just drilled a hole through the stock end so it could be installed on the brackets.

The pressure bolts are SS. I drilled two holes in each leg and welded a 1/2 x 13 nut over each hole. The square stock that slides inside the tripod leg is 24" long.

Pretty easy to bulid and makes all the difference inside the coach. I just couldn't see spending $400 for a name brand. Plus I dont have $400 but I had the tripod.

I would like to build some for the rear jacks, just haven't gotten around to it.

DXprowler
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Yep I'm with you! This is a great project and not too difficult to do! My only problem is my tripod is 1300 miles away and I won't be seeing it till June. It will have to wait till then. PU the new BH 3410RE next Wed so there will be more than enough projects to do. Tnx for all the info Larry, and what a great idea, these SN Stabilizers will work wonders!

Bill