30 amp power cord

I just recently purchased a new 30 amp electrical cord for my 2011 heartland northtrail 26lrss, as a campground we were at must have had a bad outlet and it burned our plug and half melted it to the point where it would'nt be safe to use it. my question is before i start digging around, what do i take apart or take off in order to get at where the cord connects in to the trailers electrical system?? sorry this may be a stupid question but i am just not sure what to take off for easy access, Is there an access panel i did not notice?

Garypowell

You could send that cord back and simply put a new plug on the end of your original cord. . It will ba a little shorter but just as good as new. And less trouble and cost.

rxbristol

Pictures would help. Why did you have to purchase a new electrical cord? What was wrong with the original? Or, is this just an extension?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could send that cord back and simply put a new plug on the end of your original cord. . It will ba a little shorter but just as good as new. And less trouble and cost.

Gary, although this seems like a good idea, it has the potential for failure. We replaced the end of our plug back in June 2013, when we noticed the original plug and cord were separating from bending due to our external Surgeguard. I bought the popular Camco big yellow handle replacement plug, and Hubby changed it out. What I noticed but didn't think was a big deal at the time was that the new plug end was not UL listed.

Fast forward to August 2015, and wires (we suspect became loose) inside that plug may have lead to a melting and subsequent surge sent to our rig, frying a few things inside!

So I personally don't advocate the replacement plug.

I do recommend the cord we now have, a Furrion that has a very good handle and lights in the plug showing both 120v legs are getting power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Did the meltdown occur at the pedestal, or at the trailer connection? Does the new cord have the correct connector to attach to the trailer?

Garypowell

Erika,

probably good advice.....you reminded me of our story. As soon as we got the our 2013 3010 home from purchase I cut the end of the cord off and put an after market on that had a pull handle. I like to have that easy way to disconnect and keeping my hands a little farther away from the box.

Fast foreward to our 2016 spring trip. I was out seeing customers and Linda called that she heard a bang and the power went off. The plug had blown up on the pedestal.

Of of course we got three years!

Ah memories from the road!