Unsafe Distracted Driving

BigGuy82

Not to mention that half of them are too busy texting or holding a cell phone to their ear to be concentrating on the road . . . :mad:

So, a couple of weeks ago, we're heading north through Alabama on I-65 and traffic is backed up forever - a 20mph crawl. Come to find out later on, it was due to an accident in which 3 people were killed and one was taken to the hospital via chopper in critical condition. The passengers in the car that was being driven by the guy in critical conditon told the State Police that he was ... TEXTING.

The laws are not strict enough and the technology to prevent texting while in a moving vehicle exists - when will we stop this senseless carnage? In our travels, we have actually seen morons watching videos while driving. Also, it's not just teenage drivers ... there's lots of adults doing this nonsense also. When I'm driving, I won't even touch a cell phone and I don't make outgoing calls. I will respond to incoming calls because I can answer them hands free. And yes, I will drink coffee or a soda while driving but you won't find me eating a Big Mac or anything else. It can all wait.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I will drink coffee or a soda while driving but you won't find me eating a Big Mac or anything else.

I keep a box of Pop Tarts in the truck as I get to do the I-25 stop & go everyday . . . :D

All the way from the north side of Denver (Thornton) to the south side (Lone Tree).

That's why I have 49,000 miles (and a new set of tires) on my just over two year old truck.

Anyway, I see all kinds of crazy stuff with smart phones and iPads on the road.

Last night on my way home I saw someone with their smart phone sitting on the steering wheel column with the Bronco's/Texan's game playing (ironically I was about a mile from the stadium when I saw this).

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim.Allison

When you drive around in a Ford, Chevy, Ram, truck big enough to tow a 5th wheel, you see a lot of stuff. It is outrageous the things people do. Left turn arrows seem not to last long enough. They do though because highway engineers have them set to move traffic. It's the number of people that have to look up from their smart-phones to notice that they should advance in traffic.

I can compromise with the drinking and eating, but this electronic device usage has to stop, it's everywhere.

Recently my DW and I were almost hit head on by a driver that had a cell phone in his hand, I think he was trying to punch in a GPS location or something. I could see the device in his hand at the top of his steering wheel.

As far as eating or drinking or both, I consider that small potatoes when compared to the mesmerizing effect of smartphones.

Fact is that the cops have not found a way to enforce the laws, what they need is an unmarked truck so that they can see what these drivers are doing, start popping these people by taking them to jail, and making them bond out, then proceed to trial on a misdemeanor offense of texting while driving, add in a media campaign with video of people getting perp walked, and their car getting towed away, while they are being led away in handcuffs and it will stop.

Kbvols

What is really scary is the number of semi drivers I see texting and driving. I drive everyday with my job and just about every day see a trucker with a cell phone in their hand as they are wheeling down the road. Of course I usually can tell as they are all over the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You want scary? Try being a responder to a freeway accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sniper

That's why I sold my Ultra Classic and bought a Ram 3500 and a 5th wheel.
I can't ever see me with out my motorcycles, but I'm ok with never sleeping on the ground again, and that's why we bought our Cyclone toy hauler. :)

JohnD

Here is a photo I took in my early dayz as a newspaper photographer . . .

DriveSafely.jpg

I've got more . . .

HornedToad

The technology exist today to embed a GPS that would disable a phone if it's traveling over 20 MPH and prevent it's use while driving.

I would be in favor of a law along these lines, however, many would disagreed that it would infringe on their personal freedom.

GregP

Considering the volume of modern traffic, the speeds that people travel and the tonnage involved...I don't see why anyone feels that driving requires anything but complete attention. The cab of a moving vehicle is not a restaurant, hairdressing salon, telephone booth or movie theatre. Just my two cents anyway.

JohnD

Considering the volume of modern traffic, the speeds that people travel and the tonnage involved...I don't see why anyone feels that driving requires anything but complete attention. The cab of a moving vehicle is not a restaurant, hairdressing salon, telephone booth or movie theatre. Just my two cents anyway.

I passed a guy a few years ago on my way to work that had a newspaper opened covering the steering wheel, his laptop opened up in the passenger seat facing him and turned on, and was eating a sandwich all at the same time while driving.

Lynn1130

The technology exist today to embed a GPS that would disable a phone if it's traveling over 20 MPH and prevent it's use while driving.

So does that mean I have to slow to 20 or pull off the road to report a DUI, accident, or other issue that requires police or medical attention?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
So does that mean I have to slow to 20 or pull off the road to report a DUI, accident, or other issue that requires police or medical attention?

That is such a good point!! How anyone thinks anything can be done about distracted driving when we cannot even keep people from jumping into their car from the bar is beyond me. Having worked in EMS I will agree that distracted driving is probably more prevalent than drunk driving but still how to you regulate the uncaring, the stupid, the cant happen to me, the I am a good driver crowds?

I would be ok with technology that disabled the texting, e-mail, social media, and camera functions on your phone once the key is turned on.

Jim.Allison

I would be happy if they just eliminated texting when the key is turned on. That alone represents the majority of the problem. Perhaps you could have a setting to respond "DRIVING WILL GET BACK TO YOU."

The trouble with distracted driving ordinances is that they are not enforced UNTIL the accident occurs!!!!!!!! Like I said earlier, the police need to go on a binge on people violating the law.

In Texas, receiving a ticket vs going to jail is a courtesy, I firmly believe that the police should drive around in unmarked trucks (so they can easily see, offenders) like we can, then have a roundup where people are arrested instead of being cited, they should make a media event out of it so that people see it on the news.
There is no perfect world, there are always going to be GPSs and other devices to fumble with, even my RAM has an interface that, truth be known, is distracting although some features are not accessible once the truck is moving. Switching between radio, and navigation comes to mind. But this texting problem is enormous, and has actually been the catalyst for attention being called to all other forms of distracted driving activities (perceived or not.)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you really want scary get out there on your motorcycle with these morons. :mad:

Soon as we block a lane to protect the accident site, the idiocy starts. Those traffic cones we put out do not designate a slalom course. A lot of butt-heads like to let us know we're #1, too, because we caused them some delay.

Sniper

That's why the wife wont let me have a motorcycle even though I've had my license.
I guess I'm fortunate when it comes to that because, the Commander rides her own but, I rode waaaaaaay before we ever met. Motorcycles are how we met. :)

And, John I hear what your saying. Every time we pass an accident scene or, construction crew I wonder how more of them aren't killed out there. We'll keep you in our prayers my friend. :)

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Soon as we block a lane to protect the accident site, the idiocy starts. Those traffic cones we put out do not designate a slalom course. A lot of butt-heads like to let us know we're #1, too, because we caused them some delay.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/10/23/new-mexico-transport-helicopter-driver-crash/92657924/

I cannot remember all the times I ended up on the hood of a car to keep from getting run over at accident scenes. I have had people walk up to me when I was working for Air Life in Denver and ask if I could work faster because they were late for one thing or another. Getting folks to put down their electronics is not going to happen. Everything they are doing is too important to them and they are more important than you.

Lynn1130

Parking engines in two lanes keeps them from running over you at scenes but I could never convince paramedics to look before they step from in front of the engine. I yanked more than one back before a car in the open lane got them.