Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tips on repairing LED tail light

1. Print this Post   #1

tips on repairing LED tail light

DW was following me home from FL last week and determined that our left rear tail light LED's were failing one by one... she said that at first she noticed two were out, then three, by the time we got home the whole bottom column of LED's was out.

It looks like that assembly is screwed on from the outside and caulked. I'm guessing I just unscrew and pry? Then when it's apart I'm hoping something inside unplugs?

Is this an autoparts store part of must I go order something on-line?
    Dave Lindemulder
    2001 Volvo 660 2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
    2009 Heartland Cyclone 3210

2. Print this Post   #2
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Re: tips on repairing LED tail light

Dave, as far as I know there is no way to repair them. All the ones I have are a sealed unit. Make sure that all connections are good and clean.
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

3. Print this Post   #3
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Dave, I'll wager there is a number on the back of the sealed unit that can be used at a NAPA or similar store to get you fixed up. While ours are pop out units, they are sealed and not repairable.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

4. Print this Post   #4

Today I started to get the rig ready for our next trip in July and looked at this. It is a sealed unit... but not sealed well. The lens leaked water and the LED's under water quit. Worse - the assembly is hard wired into the harness! I clipped it out and brought it to NAPA. After a while mumbling and looking at catalogs they gave up.

Any suggestions for a source? I need one soon...
    Dave Lindemulder

5. Print this Post   #5
    Senior Member - Past Moderator Ray LeTourneau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davelinde View Post
    Today I started to get the rig ready for our next trip in July and looked at this. It is a sealed unit... but not sealed well. The lens leaked water and the LED's under water quit. Worse - the assembly is hard wired into the harness! I clipped it out and brought it to NAPA. After a while mumbling and looking at catalogs they gave up.

Any suggestions for a source? I need one soon...
    I guess I didn't give any thought that there is a difference in the type of tail light used in the Cyclone vs. a Bighorn. Have you tried calling Heartland? You will need your VIN. Heartland also gives Owners Club member 10% off on parts. I'm sure if you call the Customer Service number they can direct you to the parts order line. All this is assuming of course, your tail lights are original equipment.
    Ray & Lin
    R.I.P. Suzi
    R.I.P Bart

6. Print this Post   #6
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Call Heartland Customer service. They should be able to help. You get a 10 percent discount as a owners club member.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

7. Print this Post   #7

From past posts I believe someone said you can get the taillights at Tractor Supply. I have not changed mine out but here is something you might check out.

I heard you can take yours out and put these right in. Not sure but what the hay..

Tractor Supply LED Tail Lights

FWIW
    BC
    Travel safe & may God bless
    Bob Curry & Trevor
    2016 F350 CC SRW LB 4WD * 08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948
    Mor/Ryde 7k IS, 8k DB * 17.5 Rims w/G114 GY Tires
    Bigfoot Auto Leveling
    Escapee 96030 * Fulltime since 10-08-2007
    Club Member # 1081

8. Print this Post   #8

The nice customer service people at Heartland have this in stock and will ship it to my house. A little pricey -- but I think all the LED stuff is more expensive. Hopefully the next one will last longer... I'm betting the water leak killed this one.
    Dave Lindemulder

9. Print this Post   #9

Just out of curiosity, how much was it?

John
    John and Charlotte
    2009 Landmark Augusta
    2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab
    Firestone airbags/ 20K Reese hitch
    6500 watt Onan / 2500 watt inverter / Four 12v batteries in slide out box tray
    3 great kids and 2 German shepherd dogs

10. Print this Post   #10
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davelinde View Post
    The nice customer service people at Heartland have this in stock and will ship it to my house. A little pricey -- but I think all the LED stuff is more expensive. Hopefully the next one will last longer... I'm betting the water leak killed this one.
    Did you use your 10 percent owner's club discount?
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast