Fresh Water

mo11

Does any body have any ideas on how to carry extra potable water for dry camping. I mean I know the obvious answer is to take containers. But are there any suggestions on which type that will fit in the truck bed with 5th wheel. Are there some that have a hand pump or something similar to easily transfer water to trailer?

Thanks, Mo

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I tried looking for something like that a while ago and came up empty. Most hand pumps I found online were plastic toys. I tried a cordless drill pump, but it self-destructed while I was testing it at home. I wonder if it would be possible to do some creative plumbing and valving to the on-board pump to have it draw from a container and send it to the fresh water tank. You use it to winterize from an anti-freeze bottle, why not have it send clean water to the tank (via separate lines)? I know there ain't no way you're going to pour water from a jerry can into the gravity feed port in the UDC unless you've got a long tube and a ladder to stand on.

cashb

I use a hand pump for horse camping. I got it at Gemplers a long time ago. Works great! I use it in a 55 gallon drum which won't work for your need, but the pump does work. Dh rigged up a 12 volt pump that is battery driven and it was even easier!

Urban350

I also just use a cheap 12v water pump, but mine is not self primming I was to cheap to buy that one.

mo11

Thanks for the replies. I did see that 45 gal doober at camping world, but it seems akward? I was told about some containers that come with a pump to transfer to the trailer. I will do some research... Thanks again, Mo

JohnDar

They show a heavier duty model via a link at the bottom of that page. But don't siphon pumps like that require the receiving container to be lower than the reservoir, like from a 55 gal. drum into a 5 gallon gas can on the ground? It's the gravity feed of the liquid in the tube once you get it to the pump head that continues the flow. Trying to get it into the fresh water port in the UDC may not work unless your reservoir is elevated in the bed of the truck.

Urban350

I think you are right now that I think about it was a gravity feed system (its been a few years since I have needed race fuel).

I am still trying to find the 12v pump that I use to show as an example but no luck (it was only $25 when I bought it)

merlinb

Retired
Harbor Freight has a 12v water pump for a reasonable price. I used a 110v version of this pump on my rain barrels. The only caution is don't let it run dry. It has a rubber impeller and it destroys itself in short order if you let it run dry. Ask me how I know. The one I had came with a spare impeller and a spare pair of brushes for the motor.

mountain1

Icarry 14 gallons of gas for the generator in a tankthat is gravity flow. if you bought one new you could caryy water in it.it lays flat in the very back of my truck. How long are you out for? I have filled my tank three showering for four days and have not used it all. i am not sure what everyone can haul fresh water mine is 110 gallons in the Razor.

JohnDar

Harbor Freight has a 12v water pump for a reasonable price. I used a 110v version of this pump on my rain barrels. The only caution is don't let it run dry. It has a rubber impeller and it destroys itself in short order if you let it run dry. Ask me how I know. The one I had came with a spare impeller and a spare pair of brushes for the motor.

Very interesting. Guess I didn't use the right combination of ingredients when I did my search.

porthole

Retired
Extra water was something I wanted for the impending doom of Hurricane Irene and for our annual dog camp next week (10 amp electric service only)

This is what I did. I had a water tank from a boat we salvaged, 28 gallons. Sanitized it, added the fittings shown and put it in the truck.
To fill it I used a double female hose connector to a garden hose. It will gravity drain from the truck but slowly.

One of my recent mods to the trailer was to re-plumb the water system. I can now fill my fresh water tanks from the extra water tank through the manifold or though the city water connection.

To add the water from the truck to the trailer I made an adapter that goes from a garden hose female to a male 1/2" hose barb. I attach this to the winterizing hose on the trailer. I can then fill my fresh water tank though the manifold.
Even if I didn't do the manifold on the trailer I could have still just left the winterizing hose connected to the tank in the truck.

Attachments

• water_tank_28_a.jpg.JPG
    water_tank_28_a.jpg.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 13
  • water_tank_28_b.jpg
    water_tank_28_b.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

rnewk52

We picked up a used Shur-Flo 2.8 gpm pump at a garage sale, added a few fittings and hoses and a RV electrical plug that plugs into the TV. I can pump from 5 gal containers or from my 45 gal bladder from CW. Works great for us.

DougS

Doug S
I do the same as rnewk52, bladder but the pump from Harbor Freight. I use a short hose with the brass fitting cut off and stick it about 6 feet into the fill hose. About 15 minutes later the tank is full. I also installed a 12 volt outlet near the docking station. We use this for the Homestead Race and National Parks, we can drive dry and water up at the campgrounds.