Exposed landing gear switch

ILH

I've just taken possession of my new 305RW last week. We're planning on taking it on its maiden voyage this weekend. One concern I have though, is the exposed haudraulic landing gear switch just under the front end (near the pin box). Shouldn't the design of the unit have the switch in a locked or hidden location? I'm a little concerned that somone (ie kids) might decide to play with it when we're not at the RV. I'm not aware of a kill switch inside - other than the master battery switch - which isn't a good idea considering the fridge, a/c, etc. when you're away on short trips.

Thoughts anybody? Am I missing something?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The standard covered switches aren't all that secure, either, just protected a little better from road spray. If you think unauthorized operation may be a problem, you could install a secondary switch to break the circuit inside the compartment. Something as simple as a standard household light switch, mounted in a box on the inside wall would suffice. I mounted one just inside the compartment door on mine to operate the light in the compartment, rather than doing the twisted pretzel dance to get at it.

ILH

I've never personally experienced any vandalism on any of our campsites - but I'm always prepared for it. I worry about things like exposed switches, BBQs that aren't locked down, etc. I even put a lock on my hitch so that somebody can't release it at a truck stop (just for the fun of seeing a trailer drop). Maybe I'm just paranoid - and equally thankful for the wonderful people I run into.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've never personally experienced any vandalism on any of our campsites - but I'm always prepared for it. I worry about things like exposed switches, BBQs that aren't locked down, etc. I even put a lock on my hitch so that somebody can't release it at a truck stop (just for the fun of seeing a trailer drop). Maybe I'm just paranoid - and equally thankful for the wonderful people I run into.

I must be paranoid, too, then. I lock up my bikes and grill at the trailer, and I lock the hitch lever when hauling. Without the remote, nobody's going to make off with my trailer since they won't be able to operate the Ground Control jacks without it.

I installed a kill switch in my hydraulic/battery compartment.
I used a small 12volt 30amp relay (about $4.00) and a lighted toggle switch, also about $4.00.
I was concerned about the same things ya'll are.
I had a cooler full of beer stolen this Winter in Gulf Shores, AL., so now I lock up my cooler also.
I also keep a lock on the pin, mainly because I keep it greased and don't want someone walking into it, but also for security.
If it's locked, someone can't steal the trailer without some effort.
I also lock the hitch when the 5er is hooked up.
The hitch is also locked to the bed of the truck.
We are responsible for our own security.
If a trailer gets dropped because someone pulled a pin at a truck stop, rest area or overnight in a Walmart parking lot, for the fun of it, the damage will be a lot more expensive than the cost of a padlock.
So I guess I'm paranoid also.

Later

Hockster

===================================================================================================================================