Rinsing black water tanks

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

In going from a travel trailer to a fiver, one of the things which has changed drastically is how I rinse the black water tank after use. With the TT it was a simple (but not enjoyable) task to put the swivel stick down the toilet, turn on the water and rinse the tank. It was a relatively efficient way to make sure the tank got well rinsed. When I got the Bighorn I couldn't believe what I had to do to get that tank rinsed. I spent an exceptional amount of time filling the tank and then dumping it multiple times until it came out reasonably clean. This is an incredible waste of water.

So I am looking for reasonable alternatives. I was told that even the flexible swivel stick, which has an extension, can't reach down into the basement tank. I looked at the Tornado which is a product that has to be installed in the black water tank. I'm skeptical about any fixed position sprayer like that because I find it hard to believe that it can really spray the whole tank.

So, what are you guys doing about this wonderful task? Any other alternatives that you have found that actually work?

Thanks,

Pete

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Doesn't your BH already have a black tank flush fitting in it? I thought they were standard. If you use plenty of water when flushing the commode, and don't send wads of corn cobs down there, it should do the job coupled with the back flush from the sewer connection. Will it make the sensors work 100%, though? Not in this lifetime.

After you dump and rinse the tank, it helps to add a few gallons of water back into it BEFORE using it again. That should help keep solids and TP from piling up at the bottom of the drain pipe and get them breaking up.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
When I got the Bighorn I couldn't believe what I had to do to get that tank rinsed. I spent an exceptional amount of time filling the tank and then dumping it multiple times until it came out reasonably clean. This is an incredible waste of water.

As John mentioned above, your Bighorn should have a tank flush system intalled. I know with ours, a check valve was installed backwards so the flush system didn't work very well. You might see if that is the case with yours. Also, with our previous rig, I got into the habit of using a Flush King. For me, it is not that much work to use it a couple times when dumping the tanks. It also lets me back flush all the tanks not just the black tank.

Best Wishes!

CactusTwo

We have a black water flush connection to our tank, but as you say, it doesn't work well unless you are filling your tank....BIG waste of water. When we are on the road we let the motion of the road waves shake the tanks and I drain them as soon as we arrive at our destination...even before we put out the slides. But when we are parked for a long time we use some Blood Meal fertilizer (1 cup of the powder) and use the tank until it is full (burps when flushing) and drain then 1 fill with water and drain. Seems to do the trick

Peteandsharon

Doesn't your BH already have a black tank flush fitting in it? I thought they were standard. If you use plenty of water when flushing the commode, and don't send wads of corn cobs down there, it should do the job coupled with the back flush from the sewer connection. Will it make the sensors work 100%, though? Not in this lifetime.

After you dump and rinse the tank, it helps to add a few gallons of water back into it BEFORE using it again. That should help keep solids and TP from piling up at the bottom of the drain pipe and get them breaking up.

When you say the black tank flush fitting, I am assuming you are talking about the hose fitting which allows you to fill the black tank from outside. Yup, it has that but it still requires a huge amount of water to flush the tank. I don't get the sense that it does any spraying in the tank. It simply fills the tank in which case you still have to pretty much fill the tank and then drain it a couple of times to get it somewhat clean. Am I misunderstanding how that works?

jnbhobe

Yes you are, when you hook up to the flush it should spray down the sides and bottom of the tank. It should be mounted on the end of the tank near the top.

rick_debbie_gallant

One thing that helps us when cleaning the sewer trout fish tank is after the first dump and rinse I will have DW fill the bowl three times to the rim and then have here flush it. Meanwhile the rinse thingy is still going. by the third time or flush everything is clear.

One other thing, how many of you only put things in the black water tank that has first passed through your system?

Peteandsharon

Yes you are, when you hook up to the flush it should spray down the sides and bottom of the tank. It should be mounted on the end of the tank near the top.

Hmmmmm. Ok, then. Is the approach to leave the valve open while you run water into the tank and wait for it to come out reasonably clear? My approach has been to close the black water valve, fill it and then drain it. I would have to do that about twice. Hence the huge amount of water that I spoke of. Can you actually get it clean by running the flush with the valve open? I would be very hesitant to do that because I do not have faith that the flush actually hits every nook and cranny of the tank. That was the nice thing about the swivel stick. You moved it around and you were sure that it sprayed everywhere.

jnbhobe

I fill and drain the tank 2 or 3 times until it runs clean then I don't dump again till it burps.

Birchwood

I replaced my black after two years of full timing because of a leak at an upper corner of the tank.The pin hole
was there when we purchased the RV.Only leaked when tank was over 3\4 full so it never occurred often.
When the leaking tank was removed it was incredible how heavy it was with the buildup of solids on the sides.
It was an eye opener for me and now I am thinking of a professional tank cleaner at least every three years if you full time.
We have a company at our park in Florida that presurre washes tanks for around $250.It is a process that can be easily done to
revitalize a tank so don't get stressed over a dirty tank.

Peteandsharon

I fill and drain the tank 2 or 3 times until it runs clean then I don't dump again till it burps.

Ok, Jon, then we are saying the same thing. Regardless of whether the flush sprays or simply fills the tank, it sounds as if you are doing the same thing I am doing. At roughly 40-45 gallons per tank full, that is a lot of water used in cleaning the tank. I would guess that Camco's swivel stick did a better job of cleaning with about 20% of the water. Just wish there were a similar product for these fivers.

Boca_Shuffles

Pete and Sharon:

Leave your black tank open when flushing. People have been distracted when they were flushing with the drain closed and paid the smelly price when the toilet overflowed.

Also if you leave your drain closed, the spray head will get submerged and not function very efficiently.

If you use a clear drain connector, you can see when your tank is clean by the lack of particulates in the water stream.

JohnDar

When you say the black tank flush fitting, I am assuming you are talking about the hose fitting which allows you to fill the black tank from outside. Yup, it has that but it still requires a huge amount of water to flush the tank. I don't get the sense that it does any spraying in the tank. It simply fills the tank in which case you still have to pretty much fill the tank and then drain it a couple of times to get it somewhat clean. Am I misunderstanding how that works?

???? That fitting is not intended to "fill" the black tank. It's to supply water to the internal sprayer while DUMPING the tank. Actually, run water to it after you've drained the tank via the sewer connection and still have the drain valve open. Now, how I do mine is to use the tank flush as intended, as well as backflush from the sewer connection. First one, then the other, back and forth until it runs clear (in the clear adapter at the sewer fitting). Then I can either back fill (timed guestimate) the tank via the sewer connection OR shut the valve and run a few METERED gallons into the tank via the tank flush. After that, I dissolve the Calgon in a 2-gallon bucket and dump it in via the toilet. So I start again with about 7 gallons or so of water in the tank.

As mentioned, DO NOT leave the side of the rig while performing this nor let anyone distract you. If you have to talk to someone, turn off the water first.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
John, you mentioned putting Calgon in the black water tank? Calgon water softener?

We flush three times via a hose directly into the toilet (alot quicker). After the third dump, we leave the tank open and use the black water flush to finish the job. Works well for us. At this point, you are saying to add Calgon to the tank and flush again with about 7 gals of water?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Yep.... Calgon water softener. We use that plus Dawn dish soap and don't have problems with particulates sticking (that's what the Calgon is for) or problems with anything oily clouding up the sensors. We put a little Dawn down the shower for that grey tank, and the kitchen gets Dawn anyway. The other tricks to make cleaning your tank easier are to use LOTS of water when flushing and use a TP that breaks down quickly so it doesn't clog things up or form a mound in the bottom that won't rinse out.Kristy

JohnDar

Since our rig sits on site all summer, I don't use the full Geo method as there won't be any real agitation. The Calgon is a surfactant/water softener, essentially making the water "wetter." I add about 5 gallons of water to the tank AFTER dumping/flushing and closing the dump valve. Then I mix a cup of the Calgon powder in a bucket of water and pour it down the commode. I haven't put any chemicals in the tank since 2009.

This season, I'm going to experiment with some of the powder chemical packets, along with the Calgon, to see if there is any difference.

eddylives

One method I read about for tank cleaning is to fill the tank about 1/3 full of water after dumping and putting 2-3 bags of large ice cubes into the tank just before you travel.
I guess the ice acts like scrubbers and cleans the tank walls sloshing around till they melt when traveling.
I have never tried this myself so I cannot say if it works or not.

Porkchop

Anyone have a video they wouldn't mind sharing with me the proper way to clean out the tanks? I'm looking on Youtube as well but they are all slightly different. Also, what hose and fitting do people prefer? We wouldn't have full hook up usually. We would most likely be dumping it at a dump station.

Thanks.
Irene

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys for all the good info. We may have gotten a little distracted by the issue of whether the flush sprays or just fills. Like Irene, a good number of my cleanings will happen at a dump station. So, filling it up (however you do it) and dumping 2-3 times takes a good deal of time and uses a ton of water especially if someone is waiting behind you to use the same dump station. I understand that it is what it is but I find it hard to believe that nobody has invented a flexible swivel stik that can reach even our deep basement tanks.

I've been a big fan of that swivel stik ever since the first time I used it. I failed to get it all the way down into the tank and got a face full of the stuff you don't want in your face. My father in law, who was teaching me the ABCs of trailering at the time never stopped telling that story. But once you learn how to use them right they do a great job of cleaning the tank.

Anyway, thanks again for the information and have an enjoyable summer with your rigs.

Pete

JohnDar

Anyone have a video they wouldn't mind sharing with me the proper way to clean out the tanks? I'm looking on Youtube as well but they are all slightly different. Also, what hose and fitting do people prefer? We wouldn't have full hook up usually. We would most likely be dumping it at a dump station.

Thanks.
Irene

No video, but if you're primarily going to be using a park's dump station, the line of campers that will form behind you may not make it desireable to spend 30 minutes doing a tank flush. I'd recommend using the Geo method (soap & water softener) in your tank while camping, don't scrimp on water when flushing the commode, and do a few "brake checks" on your way from site to dump station to mix it up.

As for hoses, I've graduated from the cheapies that barely make it a season to the RhinoFlex, which hold their shape and don't flop around like a spasdic anaconda.