Feedback wanted on new Pinbox and Hitch selections

jbeletti

Here's what Andersen told me when asked about chain requirement: "This is kind of a grey area. We were tested as a fifth wheel hitch and are approved as a fifth wheel hitch. According to DOT regulations because it is a fifth wheel hitch we does not need safety chains. However we do utilize a gooseneck ball to secure the fifth wheel hitch into place creating a solid base with no moving points. On conventional gooseneck trailers chains are required due to the latching mechanism on the gooseneck trailer. The Andersen Ultimate Connection does not utilize a latch nor does it pivot at the point of the ball. Our unconventional setup is much like the OEM puck system that is utilized to accept fifth wheel hitches sold in the newer trucks today. Unfortunately it is up to the DOT office to interpret the regulations and laws. We have only heard of one case, out of the 40,000 units that we have on the road today, where the DOT officer insisted on having the customer add safety chains to his setup. For this reason we do offer safety chains (part # 3230) for our Ultimate Connection."

I had the Companion hitch and other than weight, it was great. I had the gooseneck version so just dropped it in, latch it, tighten the top bolt and take off. Other than weight, it as easy as the Andersen. But if you move it in and out a lot, that weight becomes a big pain (and seems bigger the older I get). You don't need chains for sure with the Companion if that's important.

Might be that you could do trial runs with each for a comparison. That's nice about either of these two systems - they go in and out easily. Welcome to use try my Andersen but it's the gooseneck version. As many folks as you know and see, I'm sure someone would let you check'em out.

This what the bed looks like empty. Nice and clean and flat.

Jim - thank you for your feedback and your comparison. This is like being on a see-saw, going back and forth between this hitch, that hitch, this pinbox, that pinbox.

I've never had a gooseneck ball in a truck bed, but I don't fear it either. It's the dang chains that I'd prefer not to have dragging and banging all over plus scratching the paint on the hitch.

Forum user Covered Wagon emailed me several pictures of his Andersen hitch and a video of hitching up with it. Thanks Dave!

Keep the feedback coming.

jbeletti

So - let's say that I get a Lippert Flex Air pinbox (link) - there's no way I'd want to lock-out/defeat any of the features of it in order to use the Andersen hitch. Am I thinking right on this?

In that case, I'd skew to the B&W hitch. Flex Air / B&W configuration. Anyone like that?

porthole

Retired
I've never had a gooseneck ball in a truck bed, but I don't fear it either. It's the dang chains that I'd prefer not to have dragging and banging all over plus scratching the paint on the hitch.

I started with the chains bolted to the hitch, that got old

2nd picture on this post

Now I have eyebolts on the hitch and leave the chains in the bed

2nd picture in this post

As to the gooseneck ball, that comes out real easy. Makes me wonder though.

When I have 3000 pounds of pin weigh sitting on the goose ball, all that weight is transferred to the ball to the boss that sits on the trucks hitch prep platform. The two ball bearings just keep the ball from popping out.

With any of the hitches that torque down on the ball, are they not essentially trying to pull the ball out of the hitch, having only those two 1/2" balls, pushed into a groove to keep things together?

- - - Updated - - -

The chains don't drag or scratch the bed. If I decide to take them out, takes about 10 seconds each, longer to get up in the bed.

- - - Updated - - -

So - let's say that I get a Lippert Flex Air pinbox (link) - there's no way I'd want to lock-out/defeat any of the features of it in order to use the Andersen hitch. Am I thinking right on this?

In that case, I'd skew to the B&W hitch. Flex Air / B&W configuration. Anyone like that?

If I was in that predicament, with some time to spare I'd try and get MOR/ryde to make a new bottom plate and try the Anderson.

But I also want some type of air bag, either in the pin box or in the hitch. I like being able to raise or lower the trailer nose as needed. And with a toy hauler, which is seldom loaded the same from trip to trip, it makes adjusting the ride easier.

BigGuy82

This thread is too long to read the whole thing, but I'll just step in with my two cents quickly then slip out. The back and forth about gooseneck vs fifth wheel hitch on this forum is endless.

I have a Flex Air with a Reese Elite attached using the puck system on my Ford (I like the Reese Elite because it removes easily in two parts). I also have AirLifts. I've read the multiple threads about Andersen and all other goose neck type rigs and just don't see how they offer any type of advantage. Frequent complaints seem to be height (hitting the truck side rails), safety chains and finding the ball (an admittedly small target). I'm sure I'm missing the positive points of a gooseneck, but I just don't get it.

On the other hand, the Flex Air setup provides me with extreme hook up ease (literally, I just can't imagine how hooking up could be simpler), superb load control and a ride that frankly would be hard to improve upon.

In short and since you ask, I like the Flex Air/B&W. Top quality products = top quality performance.

Finally, I'm not sure you can "lock out" any features on the Flex Air - I don't see any way to do tat.

jbeletti

This thread is too long to read the whole thing, but I'll just step in with my two cents quickly then slip out. The back and forth about gooseneck vs fifth wheel hitch on this forum is endless.

I have a Flex Air with a Reese Elite attached using the puck system on my Ford (I like the Reese Elite because it removes easily in two parts). I also have AirLifts. I've read the multiple threads about Andersen and all other goose neck type rigs and just don't see how they offer any type of advantage. Frequent complaints seem to be height (hitting the truck side rails), safety chains and finding the ball (an admittedly small target). I'm sure I'm missing the positive points of a gooseneck, but I just don't get it.

On the other hand, the Flex Air setup provides me with extreme hook up ease (literally, I just can't imagine how hooking up could be simpler), superb load control and a ride that frankly would be hard to improve upon.

In short and since you ask, I like the Flex Air/B&W. Top quality products = top quality performance.

Finally, I'm not sure you can "lock out" any features on the Flex Air - I don't see any way to do tat.
Thanks for the feedback Dick! I'm liking the thought of the Flex Air/B&W combo.

jbeletti

...If I was in that predicament, with some time to spare I'd try and get MOR/ryde to make a new bottom plate and try the Anderson.

But I also want some type of air bag, either in the pin box or in the hitch. I like being able to raise or lower the trailer nose as needed. And with a toy hauler, which is seldom loaded the same from trip to trip, it makes adjusting the ride easier.

Similar to you, if I move away from the TS3 with airbags and go to more of a hard hitch (B&W for example), I want to get that adjustable air ride back in my pinbox/hitch configuration - hence the Flex Air thought.

porthole

Retired
Haven't seen the 5th Airborne mentioned on this thread. I've never tried one, but those that have it seem to like it.

I'd like to see how much lift there is from 0 air to 100 psi in the bag of that hitch.

jbeletti

Haven't seen the 5th Airborne mentioned on this thread. I've never tried one, but those that have it seem to like it.

I'd like to see how much lift there is from 0 air to 100 psi in the bag of that hitch.
I'd guess maybe 1.5 inches.

dykesj11

If you are going away from Andersen, the Flex Air/B&W would seem the best answer.

"BigGuy" must be the operative part of your name since the 18K Reese weighs 140 odd pounds all together or guessing 40-50 pound coupler and 100 pounds for the base. The 20K Companion is 130 pounds for the base and 75 pounds for the coupler. The Andersen Ultimate weighs 35 pounds all together. Unless you can do 100 pound curls with one arm, this one will always be easier to move. With that said, other than the weight, the B&W Companion was great. Served us well for 15000 or so miles. If you aren't taking it in and out very often, excellent choice. But with about 5600 miles on the Andersen, I'm addicted to ease of removal/installation.

Based on everyone's positive comments, I'd like to know more about the FlexAir and why it can/can't work with the Andersen. We're planning 20-30K of travel in 2018 and we need every bit of smoothness we can get. IS is already in the budget and seems like pinbox is the last item to take care of.

esscobra

so about traditional gooseneck ball mounted in truck- over past 25 years I have towed with and actually for a while built custom steel hauler beds - I several times have repaired the steel around a gooseneck ball - but never seen a ball break or one break a frame mounted hitch setup like b&W or others- seen results of wrecks where truck frame bent while trailer still attached - I repaired a steel deck bed where the ball pulled up thru steel deek it was welded to when a 30k + trailer setup had to make emergency stop- im sure someone has broken a ball and 5th hitches come undone - but I had in 2016 and just put int 2018 a b&w kit for turnover ball , an the companion 5th hitch - am 5'10 200 lbs and I can pickup and move te5th hitch no problem and it separates into 2 parts which makes it easier- the question is how often are you really going t take it out?

BigGuy82

If you are going away from Andersen, the Flex Air/B&W would seem the best answer.

"BigGuy" must be the operative part of your name since the 18K Reese weighs 140 odd pounds all together or guessing 40-50 pound coupler and 100 pounds for the base. The 20K Companion is 130 pounds for the base and 75 pounds for the coupler. The Andersen Ultimate weighs 35 pounds all together. Unless you can do 100 pound curls with one arm, this one will always be easier to move. With that said, other than the weight, the B&W Companion was great. Served us well for 15000 or so miles. If you aren't taking it in and out very often, excellent choice. But with about 5600 miles on the Andersen, I'm addicted to ease of removal/installation.

Based on everyone's positive comments, I'd like to know more about the FlexAir and why it can/can't work with the Andersen. We're planning 20-30K of travel in 2018 and we need every bit of smoothness we can get. IS is already in the budget and seems like pinbox is the last item to take care of.

Well, I am big but arguably in the wrong direction!

Anyway, I never paid much attention to the component weights but I've never had a problem getting them out. However, it is tough to compete with 35 lbs.

Bones

I've had the Reese airborne and I switched to the Morryde. The Morryde does a better job than my airborne did.

jayc

Legendary Member
I'm going from a Trail Air pinbox to a Mor Ride with a Reese 22K hitch in the bed. I am completely happy with my current setup and will wait to make a decision on a new pinbox until I am able to use the new setup.

I never remove the hitch from my truck. The fact that the Anderson weighs only 35 pounds means nothing to me.

dewwood

I have a comment on the lock bars to be used with the Andersen hitch. In the link provided the lock bars were for the Trail-air roto-flex pin not the flex-air pin box. On another note, I have the B&W with the companion with a Trail-air Tri-glide(no longer available, the flex-air is the replacement) and the ride is great. The nose of the fiver just floats up and down as you go down the road. As others have noted the B&W is two parts which are not light in weight but are manageable to put in and remove.

Bones

I have a comment on the lock bars to be used with the Andersen hitch. In the link provided the lock bars were for the Trail-air roto-flex pin not the flex-air pin box. On another note, I have the B&W with the companion with a Trail-air Tri-glide(no longer available, the flex-air is the replacement) and the ride is great. The nose of the fiver just floats up and down as you go down the road. As others have noted the B&W is two parts which are not light in weight but are manageable to put in and remove.

The flex air has the same rotating king pin plate and is recommended to be locked out when used with the Anderson.

porthole

Retired
I've had the Reese airborne and I switched to the Morryde. The Morryde does a better job than my airborne did.

Apples to oranges - does a better job of what?

The MOR/ryde pinbox allows back and forth and side to side rubber cushioned movement. Most likely even a somewhat circular movement.
The 5th Airborne has an airbag for an air cushioned ride. And by nature of the hardware allows a somewhat back and forth movement as the lower and upper halves move. Same with the goosebox. With the goosebox I can see the forward and aft movement and feel it with hard acceleration or stopping.

On any of the "swinging plate" designs, flex air, roto flex tri-glide, demco etc, their use on a hitch like the PullRite Superglide could be annoying.

We had a Tri-glide (which had it's own special issues with maintenance) and on certain maneuvers the movement was downright uncomfortable and gave an uneasy feeling of lack of longevity.

In particular high load, sharp turns such as pulling out of a side street slightly uphill. The acceleration and load allowed the tri-glide to hammer hard when the SuperGlide's saddle started to rotate (12-13 degrees off center). Enough so that after the first trip the MOR/ryde pinbox went back on.

BigGuy82

Apples to oranges - does a better job of what?

The MOR/ryde pinbox allows back and forth and side to side rubber cushioned movement. Most likely even a somewhat circular movement.
The 5th Airborne has an airbag for an air cushioned ride. And by nature of the hardware allows a somewhat back and forth movement as the lower and upper halves move. Same with the goosebox. With the goosebox I can see the forward and aft movement and feel it with hard acceleration or stopping.

On any of the "swinging plate" designs, flex air, roto flex tri-glide, demco etc, their use on a hitch like the PullRite Superglide could be annoying.

We had a Tri-glide (which had it's own special issues with maintenance) and on certain maneuvers the movement was downright uncomfortable and gave an uneasy feeling of lack of longevity.

In particular high load, sharp turns such as pulling out of a side street slightly uphill. The acceleration and load allowed the tri-glide to hammer hard when the SuperGlide's saddle started to rotate (12-13 degrees off center). Enough so that after the first trip the MOR/ryde pinbox went back on.

I hadn't thought about sliders - I have a full bed. But for standard hitches, it's hard for me to figure how any pinbox can best the Lippert Flex Air as it controls movement in all directions using an adjustable air bag, a shock absorber and a thick rubber base pad.

jbeletti

Decision made: Lippert Flex Air pinbox.

So I'm now 100% decided on using the Lippert Flex Air pinbox on the current coach, swapping out the MORryde pinbox. This decision was driven by the following factors:
  • Feedback from users who are using the Flex Air
  • My personal experience using the Trailair in the past as well as the Trailair with Tri-Glide
  • My strong desire to have some some of air ride / air cushioning in the pinbox / hitch area (since deciding to move away from the Trailersaver TS3 air hitch
  • Lippert will sponsor my evaluation unit
Decision 75% made on Hitch selection

If I go with the Andersen hitch, I will need to lock-out the lower jaw of the Flex Air (per Andersen and confirmed by Jamie W). Not sure I want to lock-out a feature of the hitch. Like Duane, I used the Trailair hitch with Tri-Glide. When it worked, it was one amazing hitch. But it was a maintenance nightmare. By combining the Trailair with their Roto-Flex, this "could" offer similar performance to the Trailair with Tri-Glide but without the bearing maintenance (and failure).

As such, I'm 75% certain I will go with the B&W 5th Wheel Companion hitch and use the gooseneck square shaft to connect it to the Ford bed 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Trailer option.

Thoughts on my pinbox decision and hitch "plan"??

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

So I'm now 100% decided on using the Lippert Flex Air pinbox on the current coach, swapping out the MORryde pinbox. This decision was driven by the following factors:
  • My personal experience using the Trailair in the past as well as the Trailair with Tri-Glide
  • My strong desire to have some some of air ride / air cushioning in the pinbox / hitch area (since deciding to move away from the Trailersaver TS3 air hitch

If I go with the Andersen hitch, I will need to lock-out the lower jaw of the Flex Air (per Andersen and confirmed by Jamie W). Not sure I want to lock-out a feature of the hitch. Like Duane, I used the Trailair hitch with Tri-Glide. When it worked, it was one amazing hitch. But it was a maintenance nightmare. By combining the Trailair with their Roto-Flex, this "could" offer similar performance to the Trailair with Tri-Glide but without the bearing maintenance (and failure).

As such, I'm 75% certain I will go with the B&W 5th Wheel Companion hitch and use the gooseneck square shaft to connect it to the Ford bed 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Trailer option.

What will you do with the MorRyde?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

My thought is I really like the part about Lippert sponsoring your evaluation unit! Can I get a new Landmark to evaluate for you guys? :p