Feedback wanted on new Pinbox and Hitch selections

jbeletti

Jim,

I have the Companion with the Flex Air and absolutely love the ride quality and simplicity of it all. It leaves your bed nice and clean when its out and is very stout and solid for hauling our Newports. The Flex air offers a very comfortable and stable ride. I have NO chucking and the ride is very smooth over horrible roads like I experienced in California last month. I think its a great combination.

Rod

Thanks Rod.

jbeletti

Afternoon Jim I got the Anderson hitch and coupler installed this morning only took a few min . I have a 45 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in front by window and enough space for a crate ,gas can,2 def fluid containers and a propane tank in front plus a lot of room on sides to store more if I want . It was easy hook up and install for that matter. I used the Reese under bed puck system rail offered by ford .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good William. Saw your pics too - thanks. Will miss you in Pahrump but hope to see you down the road.

Bones

Has anyone with a Flex air or Reese 5th Airborne compared the no air to full air height?

Watching the Flex air animation it almost looks as if the trailer lowers a bit as the bag airs up.

The 5th Airborne appears to do the opposite.

The Reese goosebox, which is similar in operation to the 5th Airborne raises the trailer some as you add air.

When I filled mine with air it would raise the front.

BigGuy82

Has anyone with a Flex air or Reese 5th Airborne compared the no air to full air height?

Watching the Flex air animation it almost looks as if the trailer lowers a bit as the bag airs up.

The 5th Airborne appears to do the opposite.

The Reese goosebox, which is similar in operation to the 5th Airborne raises the trailer some as you add air.

The Flex Air raises the front of the coach, meaning the back has to go down a bit. I never noticed this, but since it pivots on the axle it must be happening.

When I installed all of my "stuff", I aired up the Flex Air and the AirLift's and checked the coach for level. In my case, I had to adjust the pin box height and measure again.

robk

I also have the Anderson Ultimate aluminum hitch, and I'm very happy with it. There is no play at the kingpin, so there's no clunking at all. However, we still do get that annoying fore and aft movement. Chucking I guess. I would love to dampen it a bit (a lot). I'm considering the Flexair pin box, but I'd like to hear what folks have to say about the combination.

CoveredWagon

I also have the Anderson Ultimate aluminum hitch, and I'm very happy with it. There is no play at the kingpin, so there's no clunking at all. However, we still do get that annoying fore and aft movement. Chucking I guess. I would love to dampen it a bit (a lot). I'm considering the Flexair pin box, but I'd like to hear what folks have to say about the combination.

Its probably up and down action you feel. Andersen won't allow fore and aft movements

robk

Its probably up and down action you feel. Andersen won't allow fore and aft movements

No. I get some up and down over certain surfaces. Sometimes a pretty hard bang when the truck rear axle goes over. Hoping airbags will take up some of that. There's no "looseness" with the Anderson, but I definitely get some fore and aft motion. No surprise when a 14-18k pound toy hauler is being pulled by a 7k pound truck. I'm hoping a Trail Air or something else will absorb some of that motion.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
No. I get some up and down over certain surfaces. Sometimes a pretty hard bang when the truck rear axle goes over. Hoping airbags will take up some of that. There's no "looseness" with the Anderson, but I definitely get some fore and aft motion. No surprise when a 14-18k pound toy hauler is being pulled by a 7k pound truck. I'm hoping a Trail Air or something else will absorb some of that motion.

That's odd. I do not get any fore and aft movement. The Anderson took care of that. The Flex Air takes care of the up and down movement.

Jim;
I just installed the Anderson hitch(the rail version) You are right, I am going to have to use the "lock out kit" that Anderson offers.
One of the guys on the forum built his own but I didn't feel like going through the process of rounding up the parts to fabricate my own,
so I ordered one. $39.99 +$10.00 shipping and handling.
See my post.

jbeletti

Thanks for the update CE. I have. Flex Air pinbox on the way and a B&W Companion hitch on order.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Thanks for the feedback. I know all about 300#! My TS3 with Bedsaver is super heavy. In my last house, I added an electric hoist to the header above a garage door. Haven't had the hitch out in a couple years and haven't added a hoist at this house.

Been hearing a lot about Anderson Hitch. Do they make one that will connect up to the Ford 5th Wheel prep kit? Be nice to not have hitch rails :)

Yes they do. It uses the gooseneck hole.

robk

That's odd. I do not get any fore and aft movement. The Anderson took care of that. The Flex Air takes care of the up and down movement.

Like I said, there's no play in the Anderson hitch, but the 18K lbs trailer does cause some surge of sorts. You can feel the trailer pushing and pulling the truck. I wonder if the fact that you have the Trail Air with the Anderson hitch, the Trail Air is taking up some of that surging motion.

Bones

Thanks for the update CE. I have. Flex Air pinbox on the way and a B&W Companion hitch on order.

Keep us posted on how the B&W hitch works out? Does it make noise? Does the head move?

Oldelevatorman

Jim, I have the B&W companion and if I do it again I'm going with the Anderson Ultimate! Pin box? I need to decide if I really need to upgrade! Why with 18k GVWR on my LM 365 is the pin box only rated at 18k? I'm at 18k already.

jbs80122

Hi Jim,
We have our new Bighorn 3870FB on order, will be picking up in April. I've never owned a 5th wheel before, and have been researching hitches, and trying to decide whether I should ask the dealer to change out the pinbox to a Flex Air before I pick it up. I'm also considering a B&W Companion for my F350 with the factory puck mounting system.

How has this combination worked for you? Anything you'd recommend instead?

Looking forward to getting out on the road in our new Bighorn!
John