Feedback wanted on new Pinbox and Hitch selections

jbeletti

Forgot to mention this is on a 2016 F-350, Best I can tell with everything in the way I have around 43” - 44” from inside bed to the front of the hitch base
Cool - my tank will be 30" so that leaves me about 13"-14". A square milk crate is 13" square. Thanks!

fastcarsspeed

This thread is so intriguing. We have the Ford Reese Elite under rail puck system that I installed after the fact. I however did not purchase the gooseneck piece because my 5th wheel I was getting came with the Reese Elite 18k receiver. It is not as heavy has some are out there. We now have the Cyclone and it just has the standard Pin Box and with the Elite hitch even though it is pretty easy to get out of the truck when needed the chucking is a pain. So I have been going back and forth of whether to get the Flex Air Pin Box and be good to go or since my Receiver is only 18K and my gross load of the Cyclone is 18k should I go and get the Gooseneck module, Andersen Ultimate and the Moryde Pin Box which I think is rated at 25K.

There are so many choices and opinions to this discussion lol.

Alan_B

Any feedback on my leaning towards the B&W Companion hitch with Pucks mounting method?

This set up works well for me. When I take out the hitch I have a completely flat truck bed. And it seems more secure to me, using four mounting points rather than one.

BigGuy82

This thread is so intriguing. We have the Ford Reese Elite under rail puck system that I installed after the fact. I however did not purchase the gooseneck piece because my 5th wheel I was getting came with the Reese Elite 18k receiver. It is not as heavy has some are out there. We now have the Cyclone and it just has the standard Pin Box and with the Elite hitch even though it is pretty easy to get out of the truck when needed the chucking is a pain. So I have been going back and forth of whether to get the Flex Air Pin Box and be good to go or since my Receiver is only 18K and my gross load of the Cyclone is 18k should I go and get the Gooseneck module, Andersen Ultimate and the Moryde Pin Box which I think is rated at 25K.

I'm biasd towards Flex Air - I LOVE mine. Here's why - https://www.lci1.com/flex-air-pin-box

If I had your rig, I'd go with a 21K Flex Air and a 26.5K Elite - https://www.reesehitches.com/products/Elite_Series_Pre_Assembled_26_5K_5th_Wheel_Hitch,30871

I'd also install AirLift's

But again, that's just me. I've got the same set up as above but in 18K and I cannot imagine a smoother, more controlled ride. It is also extremely easy to hook up - no clearance problems and the hookup is smooth due to a wide kingpin funnel on the hitch and a forged single self-latching jaw (you can do your pull test, but I actually like to see if the latch is around the kingpin).

Once again, I'm biased but this setup does work great for me with well over 15K miles and so many hookups that I've lost track.

PS - for the ultimate in control, I recommend disc brakes.

CoveredWagon

Andersen Ultimate is rated for 24 K draw weight and 4500 pin weight.

Situation
I'm planning on getting a new truck. I have a MORryde pinbox and my current hitch is a Trailersaver TS3 which is in need of refurbishment (a few parts, grease, paint etc). My RV is an 18,000 pound, 43 foot Landmark Newport.

Goals
1. End up with the best riding "pinbox/hitch" configuration
2. End up with a configuration that requires minimal maintenance (air, grease etc).

Scenarios being considered

• Scenario 4: ??? Thoughts?

Jim;
I just ordered the Anderson hitch to fit my existing rails. I will mate it up to the Lippert Flex Air Pin Box that I had installed in Goshen.
Will post some pics when I get the hitch. All the positive post sold me.

dykesj11

Jim;
I just ordered the Anderson hitch to fit my existing rails. I will mate it up to the Lippert Flex Air Pin Box that I had installed in Goshen.

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned having to lockout the rotating plate if using FlexAir with Andersen. I have the Andersen and am sold by everyone’s praise of FleXAir. I contacted Andersen and the lockout kit is an Andersen accessory. Here’s the link: https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3247--rotaflex-lockout-kit.aspx. All it is is two bars that keep the kingpin plate from rotating more than a fraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jim;

Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned having to lockout the rotating plate if using FlexAir with Andersen. I have the Andersen and am sold by everyone’s praise of FleXAir. I contacted Andersen and the lockout kit is an Andersen accessory. Here’s the link: https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3247--rotaflex-lockout-kit.aspx. All it is is two bars that keep the kingpin plate from rotating more than a fraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or you can make your own "lock out kit". As I did..

1z3pds1.jpg%5B

jbeletti

Jim;

Thanks CE. Note that you may need to lock-out the lower jaw of the Flex Air to use it with the Andersen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim;
I don’t have the Roto-flex. I have the Flex-Air.
Do I still need a lock out?

CE, the Flex Air has a lower portion that moves. Jamie Walker locked his out. Consider calling Andersen on Monday to discuss.

Wmnmy

Afternoon Jim I got the Anderson hitch and coupler installed this morning only took a few min . I have a 45 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in front by window and enough space for a crate ,gas can,2 def fluid containers and a propane tank in front plus a lot of room on sides to store more if I want . It was easy hook up and install for that matter. I used the Reese under bed puck system rail offered by ford .

dykesj11

About $7

6jhs2p.jpg

Made it heavier than Andersons. But I just used up the remainder of the material I had.

I like this solution. Question - on the Lippert site, it looks like the Lippert/Trailair adds the Rota Flex king pin plate to the Air Ride pinbox to make the Flex Air. Both use the the same air spring based on replacement parts. You appear to already have had the Flex Air pinbox and had to add the lockout bars. I still have the stock pinbox along with Andersen hitch. If I am interpreting correctly, I think I can just get the AirRide, avoid the lockout issue and have the Flex Air air spring benefit minus whatever the rotating plate provides. Does that sound right?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I like this solution. Question - on the Lippert site, it looks like the Lippert/Trailair adds the Rota Flex king pin plate to the Air Ride pinbox to make the Flex Air. Both use the the same air spring based on replacement parts. You appear to already have had the Flex Air pinbox and had to add the lockout bars. I still have the stock pinbox along with Andersen hitch. If I am interpreting correctly, I think I can just get the AirRide, avoid the lockout issue and have the Flex Air air spring benefit minus whatever the rotating plate provides. Does that sound right?

You are correct. Locking out of the Roto Flex portion still give you the full use of the airbag and shock. So you're left with basically a TrailAir king pin. Just the shock and airbag.
2s9syur.jpg

I had the Flex Air before purchasing the Anderson.

FWIW.... It's one sweet ride.

dykesj11

You are correct. Locking out of the Roto Flex portion still give you the full use of the airbag and shock. So you're left with basically a TrailAir king pin. Just the shock and airbag.

I had the Flex Air before purchasing the Anderson.

FWIW.... It's one sweet ride.

Thanks Jamie. I'm convinced. Really appreciate the info.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
All this feedback is really appreciated. Thank you Heartlanders!

Here's what I'm thinking now:
  1. I don't really want to have to use safety chains in the truck bed
  2. I don't really want to use an adapter between the truck bed and the hitch
  3. I'd prefer to use the puck system directly
Given the above, I'm "leaning" towards the B&W Companion OEM 5th Wheel Hitch - link. This hitch would give me a nice clean floor when removed. If I did go this route, I might consider the Lippert Flex Air pinbox.

View attachment 54820

Jim,

I have the Companion with the Flex Air and absolutely love the ride quality and simplicity of it all. It leaves your bed nice and clean when its out and is very stout and solid for hauling our Newports. The Flex air offers a very comfortable and stable ride. I have NO chucking and the ride is very smooth over horrible roads like I experienced in California last month. I think its a great combination.

Rod

porthole

Retired
Has anyone with a Flex air or Reese 5th Airborne compared the no air to full air height?

Watching the Flex air animation it almost looks as if the trailer lowers a bit as the bag airs up.

The 5th Airborne appears to do the opposite.

The Reese goosebox, which is similar in operation to the 5th Airborne raises the trailer some as you add air.