ATF: Landmark - Azdel instead of luan

meagle

High end manufacturers are beginning to use Azdel in the side walls instead of luan products. Azdel is is stronger, lighter, and impervious to water intrusion which would stop delamination problems. When will Landmark begin using a product such as Azdel? I know that when I begin looking for another RV I will require a product such as Azdel, marine grade flooring and roofing sub material.

CarterKraft

Lance has used it for years, Coachmen has too. I agree it is superior as far as I can tell in every way.

rhodies1

High end manufacturers are beginning to use Azdel in the side walls instead of luan products. Azdel is is stronger, lighter, and impervious to water intrusion which would stop delamination problems. When will Landmark begin using a product such as Azdel? I know that when I begin looking for another RV I will require a product such as Azdel, marine grade flooring and roofing sub material.

Agree 100% with Azdel,my friend has it in his Coachman and when you push on your interior walls ,they are solid,no flex.Was absolutely impressed.,Coachman Rep claims it will reduce delamination but could not gaurentee elimination. They felt it was too new to totally understand its outcome but time would tell,he was so confident that it was head over heels ahead of Luan.Azdel product will not absorb water.

danemayer

With the boom in RV sales, there's a shortage of luan that's been causing factory shutdowns recently. If Azdel is a substitute material that is available during the luan shortage, it wouldn't be surprising to see some 5th wheel manufacturers start using it in order to keep the factory open. Will they keep absorbing the extra cost after the luan shortage is resolved? Time will tell.

meagle

It is described in Trailer Life magazine and on the internet. Entregra motor homes, Lance, Coachman, higher end Forest River products, and other manufacturers are beginning to use it as a superior product. I was speaking to The RV Factory regarding their Luxe fifth wheels. They reported that they will be going to this product in the future. In the technical article in Trailer Life magazine they say we will see an infusion of contemporary building products into RV's. Azdel was singled out as a better product that is impervious to water, rot, and delamination. In this owners forum look at all of the people experiencing delamination. One owner of a Landmark was experiencing delamination and his RV was only weeks old. It is time for the RV industry and Heartland have better quality control and stop using products e.g., luan that soaks up water like a sponge when there are better options. I was happy to see that some manufacturers are beginning to take PDI inspections seriously before sending them to the dealers. Supposedly, Heartland is following suite.