Bedroom slide motor burning out switch

Restofrank

I’m having a problem with my bedroom slide burning out the in/out rocker switch on the control panel. I have 2018 BH 3270RS last December when we were getting ready to leave our camp spot the bedroom slide would not come in, the in/out switch was not responding and burned out the contacts in the switch. The slide can be easily retracted in with a drill on the end of the motor so the slide is working not jammed by any foreign objects. I replaced the rocker switch and the slide worked great until just now when I tried to retract the slide and it did the exact same thing.
Have any of you ever had this problem, I feel that the motor is shorted out inside and causing the switch to burn out.The motor is a PMDC RV
Thanks
Frank

NP_Chief

Sounds like there is a short in the wire somewhere between the motor and switch. I would start at the motor and check the wire for exposed metal.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Make sure your connectors at the switch are good and tight. Loose connections with cuase heat. You can crimp them down tighter or replace them.

Hope that helps
Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Restofrank

First thing I checked was the wiring connectors and all seemed fine.The slide would extend all the way out but not retract. The rocker switch was getting an ark on the retract mode. I feel that the motor might be the problem when it retracts. As anyone had a problem with this?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The motor current is passed through the solenoid. The switch just opens the proper valves and triggers the solenoid it the derection required. Not sure if that is done with a relay or not. I haven't seen any.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

It sounds like this slide might be electric rather than hydraulic. In the case of hydraulic slides, the switch is not carrying much current. For electric slides, the switch may be in the path between mini-circuit breaker and motor, carrying a lot of current.

If the slide was tripping the mini-circuit breaker near the battery, it's possible someone replaced the original breaker with one rated for higher current. If too large a breaker is providing power, AND there's a problem with the slide, loading the motor, you could be pulling more amps through the switch than it's rated to handle.

So I'd suggest calling Heartland and asking what size 12V DC mini-circuit breaker is supposed to be on that circuit. Then check the rating on the breaker. You may have to experiment a little to find the right breaker.