1/4 Inch Hydraulic Line Splice/End Connector Emergency Repair Device

wdk450

Gang:
After a recent post about a member's terrible experience in 100 degree heat in which he couldn't get his hydraulic landing gear/slide in-out systems to work due to a grossly leaking 1/4 inch ID hydraulic line. I investigated some possible DIY emergency hydraulic line repair devices and decided on this one I got on E-Bay for about $20:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143164267955 . After receiving this part and inspecting it, I was very impressed that it actually addresses 2 possible situations with your hydraulic lines: A leak at a line end fitting/hose, or a leak somewhere along the hose run.

I am posting a picture of the fitting disassembled into its 2 parts to illustrate what I discovered. IMG_0185.JPG
The left hand fitting screws onto the hacksawed off end of the hydraulic line (left hand screw thread) and makes a tight compressed seal with the hose. Note that the left side fitting has the same termination nut as is on the present lines, and can be screwed into the ram or pressure valve port like before. The right hand repair fitting mates with the nut on the left hand repair fitting to make (with the left side repair fitting) an effective hose repair splice.

I think that this hydraulic hose repair fittings kit should be on board every Heartland RV with hydraulic powered slides/landing gear, if you don't want to get stuck somewhere with your slides out and your landing gear unable to move. A couple of bottles of ATF for hydraulic fluid would be a good idea to have on hand, too.

Here's an end photo of the repair fittings giving you an idea of how they attach (screw on) to the damaged hydraulic line:
IMG_0186.JPG

Last edited:

Dahillbilly

Gang:
After a recent post about a member's terrible experience in 100 degree heat in which he couldn't get his hydraulic landing gear/slide in-out systems to work due to a grossly leaking 1/4 inch ID hydraulic line. I investigated some possible DIY emergency hydraulic line repair devices and decided on this one I got on E-Bay for about $20:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143164267955 . After receiving this part and inspecting it, I was very impressed that it actually addresses 2 possible situations with your hydraulic lines: A leak at a line end fitting/hose, or a leak somewhere along the hose run.

I am posting a picture of the fitting disassembled into its 2 parts to illustrate what I discovered. View attachment 65705
The left hand fitting screws onto the hacksawed off end of the hydraulic line (left hand screw thread) and makes a tight compressed seal with the hose. Note that the left side fitting has the same termination nut as is on the present lines, and can be screwed into the ram or pressure valve port like before. The right hand repair fitting mates with the nut on the left hand repair fitting to make (with the left side repair fitting) an effective hose repair splice.

I think that this hydraulic hose repair fittings kit should be on board every Heartland RV with hydraulic powered slides/landing gear, if you don't want to get stuck somewhere with your slides out and your landing gear unable to move. A couple of bottles of ATF for hydraulic fluid would be a good idea to have on hand, too.

Here's an end photo of the repair fittings giving you an idea of how they attach (screw on) to the damaged hydraulic
these are reusable hose fittings, normally they outlast the crimped fittings. Used these for years in the logging industry, all we needed was another lenght of hose & some wrenches and back to work. Very little down time.

danemayer

Thanks Bill. Like most of us, I've not had a problem. But my hoses and fittings are nearly 11 years old, so this is one more thing that I'll be carrying.

Thanks for the post Bill, I have 2 on order.
Dave & you are correct, good thing to have on hand, never gave it a thought.

Hockster

Dahillbilly

For those that get the reusable hose ends posted above, these are a two piece design, the inner piece threads into the outer body & the outer body threads ( lefthand) onto the hose. Thread the outer body onto the hose end, apply little grease or lube to the tip of the inner piece & thread it into the outer body. Reconnect hose to wherever.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
This is so cool for you to post! I have have looked high and low for this product that I knew existed but couldn't find.
Our rig is three years old, though I think it was a poorly crimped fitting that failed.

wdk450

Semi-Hex:
I'm glad we could all learn from your bad on-the-road experience, and I could share a simple, inexpensive, repair solution.
BTW, Tractor Supply Stores (with many physical stores nationwide) shows a number of these pre-built hydraulic hoses on their website, although I do not know what sizes/lengths the stores actually stock. Our rigs use the 1/4 inch ID hoses.

porthole

Retired
Good find.
I worked at Caterpillar's Towmotor division for a spell (forklifts) and we used these all the time. Never thought to carry some for the RV lines.

wdk450

Has anyone found the repair kit on Amazon?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
I did some Amazon searching using the E-Bay item title, and finally came up with this, although you have to buy a set of 2 for $58:

Dahillbilly

Has anyone found the repair kit on Amazon?

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
they are available on Amazon as others posted. Me I would shop around at local hydraulic repair shop, some automotive parts stores, heavy equipment repairs( logging, farm implement etc) Good luck

Big-B

This is so cool for you to post! I have have looked high and low for this product that I knew existed but couldn't find.
Our rig is three years old, though I think it was a poorly crimped fitting that failed.
Did you have any luck with those fittings on your hydraulic lines? I had rats chew through the outer coating on mine and they seep oil.

wdk450

They are still waiting to be used by me. As I posted before another owner's horror story of being in 100 degree heat and not being able to lift landing gear/move slides due to leaking hydraulic hose was enough motivation for me to do the detective work to find them online. Other posters in other industries (hydraulic ramp lifts on car carriers, and forklift hydraulic lines) indicate that they have experienced that these devices work.

Big-B

I have some of those coming today to try to repair my lines. Hopefully they will work but I have concerns that the OD is too small on my lines. The link to Ebay in post #2 says the OD of the hose should be .593 and my lines are only .433. I have a machine shop so if the OD needs to be larger I may turn up some sleeves out of delrin or similar and use those to bush it down.

wdk450

I searched for the repair fittings by ID of the hydraulic lines, as this is they all seemed to be categorized.

Thanks for your extended research, and let us all know how it turns out.