12 hour drive with my fur child

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Janet, when Berry figures out something to trap them in the bedroom, be sure to block up any holes they might get into. Our monster decided to go under the bedroom slide as we were preparing to leave. Long story short, I had to dismantle the bed to get him out. He liked it there and didn't want to come out. DW says post a pic, so here it is.
Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Lil Monster.jpg
    Lil Monster.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 41

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
when it's hitting 100 outside. Cats love warmth anyway...I wouldn't stress over the temperature.:)

I would stress. I've recorded temps in excess of 105 in my rv. And, that was here in Norfolk, VA last summer during the heat wave. Anytime the outside temp is high enough that the refrigerator starts to lag, I'd be concerned.

Greselda

We just returned from three months on the road "snowbirding", traveling almost 5,000 miles with our two "kitties" (Bubba is 20 lbs....yikes!) and they did all their traveling in the bedroom of our Sundance 265rk 5th wheel.

My DH made a wood step that fits right on the first bedroom steps and the door rolls right over it....viola, the cats are safe and sound in the bedroom!!

We leave their litter box and a small amount of water and dry food on the floor with them, and every time we stop we check on them with the same results.....sleepy eyes, and the expressions of "are we there yet?".

We keep the MaxxAir vent open and they did just fine.

We always leave the cats in the bedroom until we have stopped for the day (we very rarely travel more than 5 hours) and have put the slide out. I always have the fear that a cat, any cat, would somehow find a way to wiggle into or out of someplace next to the slide.....so, if the slide is in, the cats are locked safely in the bedroom.

If anyone would like to have pictures and such of that step that my DH made, I will be happy to pass that info along.

BTW, we could not imagine traveling without our little furballs.....they seemed to love each new place and new smells, we would put them out in a large cage on the tables and people would always come by and they loved the attention!

Enjoy!
Rick and Janine

happycampernc

DH is not going to fix the opening. We will be putting her in the bathroom with the door closed. She will have water and her litter box. We will feed her in the morning before we leave and when we get there as she is on a restricted diet.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We left Corpus Christi at 9am with the cat in a carrier in the back seat of the truck with Suzi. By 10am the cat was back in the trailer loose. He would not quiet down.:( Extreme yowling and carrying on. If I talked to him he would simmer down as long as I was talking. As soon as I stopped the yowl returned. We didn't check on him til we arrived at Rayford. He was fine. When Lin went in to do the slides, he appeared from the back end and acted as if nothing was out of the ordinary. Looks like he'll be traveling in the trailer.:D

mike3fan

maybe you should keep them in the cupboard....:D

sundane022.jpg

I have made 2 16hr trips with this whinny little fellow, non stop crying.....I put him in the trailer once and he kinda got freaked out by it, and I felt bad for doing it so now he either rides with us(crying) or doesn't go. A mild seditative sounds like a good idea.

2010augusta

I had a plastic travel kennel and packed soft luggage around it to make it nice and dark. Took a two day drive from Colorado to Tennessee, and with a little food and a small dish of water never made a sound. Even had both corgi puppies in the truck with us as well. staying in a hotel with two puppies and a cat that hates the puppies is a very interesting experience.

Ray LeTourneau

Uh, Ray...did you check your shoes?:rolleyes:
Uh, No! :eek: Thank God they're in the closet, and the cat can't get in.:p KK's been in the trailer for the last 2 legs of our trip North and he seems OK with it.

Attachments

• 100_0514.JPG
    100_0514.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 35

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
KK will be just fine Ray. After 4 years of traveling with cats in the RV...never have had any issue...they do just great.

One word of caution, however, make sure you have a visual of your cat before putting slides out. If you don't, find him FIRST!!

Ray LeTourneau

KK will be just fine Ray. After 4 years of traveling with cats in the RV...never have had any issue...they do just great.

One word of caution, however, make sure you have a visual of your cat before putting slides out. If you don't, find him FIRST!!
One of us always has cat in hand before the slides go out. He usually comes out when Lin goes in to get him.

Greselda

I second that one about making sure you know where the kitties are before putting the slide in or out. We always lock ours in the bedroom of our 5th wheel before we do anything electrical.......always!!!! Cannot be too careful with those little rascals;)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Pets

So I welcome any suggestions as well. Other than get rid of the cat.:rolleyes:

Darn, Ray...I was gonna just say get a dog! :D They'll give you a "high five" for a T-bone! :)

Attachments

• HT 154.jpg
    HT 154.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HT 030.JPG
    HT 030.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 20

Ray LeTourneau

Darn, Ray...I was gonna just say get a dog! :D They'll give you a "high five" for a T-bone! :)
We have a dog. More like a spoiled best friend.;) She just lays in the back seat of the truck and only gets up when we stop. Especially if there's a chance for food involved in the stop.

dm2776

just wondering if you ever tried dramamine. had a little doggie (and since your's in cat, not sure if could still use), but he used to barf every time got in car. really slobbered a lot first. dramamine cured that. mad for nice rides after that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you've got a helper and a Pill Shooter, getting a pill into a cat can be a traumatic experience for you and the cat. And they are masters at spitting them out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
gloves , towel ,eyedropper full of water, helper-- all part of giving a pill to a cat..

If you talk to your vet, ask them about the "Pill Shooter." It looks like a large syringe that you load the pill into. Open kitty's maw, insert the tip, and shoot the pill to the back of the mouth. Pretty hard for Frisky to spit it back out. Cost was under $10. Best thing is it gets the job done quick, before the cat can get too crazy.