12 Volt Accessory Wiring - Road Warrior

DesertThumper

Anyone know where I can splice into an existing 12 volt wire in the rear garage area for a camp finder light that mounts outside of the trailer?

dougw

The closest 12v I can think of is the tv connection but it's inside the trailer. Seems like it would be pretty easy to run a new wire from the bus bar by the batteries down the rt side of the frame to the back. Kind of the same fashion I did with the hydraulic brake line. I used a multiple piece of wire fishing tool to make sure I could get down the side of the frame.

DesertThumper

The closest 12v I can think of is the tv connection but it's inside the trailer. Seems like it would be pretty easy to run a new wire from the bus bar by the batteries down the rt side of the frame to the back. Kind of the same fashion I did with the hydraulic brake line. I used a multiple piece of wire fishing tool to make sure I could get down the side of the frame.

Thanks Doug. I will check that out. Worse case I guess is to run it like you said underneath with a special connector mounted somewhere in the rear. How about one of the interior lights in the garage area? Is that 12 Volts? I guess I should take my multi-meter out and start probing.

dougw

Plenty of 12v inside the trailer but if you wanting it outside it seems easier to run a wire and not drill a hole to go out.

Next question though is what is a "camp finder light"? If it is what I think it is, try a gps(g).

now if it a light on top of a flag pole, what might be cool is on of those plugs that puts power to your trailer running lights when the tow veh isn't connected. Then you could take power from a side marker light and "run that up the flag pole" with a electrical plug between the two.

bsuds

If you are wanting a light on at night to find your rig in the dark then I use some Solar Powered lights around my rig.
Stick them in the ground where you want them and you are good to go.

DesertThumper

All great feed back! We bought the lights for a fun thing for the wife and I. As far as counting on these lights as a locator for others maybe arriving later, they do use there GPS system and most of them are familiar with the area of destination. If anyone wants to go for a spin at night, they can somewhat gauge where camp is located. It's somewhat useful for other things and also fun to watch at night while out around the camp fire.:eek:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Are there any 12V plugs for charging things in the garage? Like a cell phone plug, 12V vacumn...etc..etc. What ever you use....make sure you put an inline fuse in the circuit to protect the wiring. You will need to figure how many amps it will draw. Lets say 15 amps....then use a 15 amp fuse....no bigger. Ya dont want to let all the smoke out of the wires. Make sure you put the fuse in the B+ wire and remember...the longer the run of wire the bigger the guage needs to be.

scottyb

Not sure about your RW, but there are some extra fairly heavy gauge 12V wires ran to the right rear corner underneath and near the frame of my Cyclone. I assume they are for accessories but I have not chased them down to see where they terminate. It might be worth investigating.

DesertThumper

Thanks Bob! Always great feed back and reminders from you. Much appreciated... The source will be a stick light for the flag pole which draws 7 amps. My thoughts are to tap into one of the overhead light in the garage area, before the light switch part, tap and run a pair of wires into a two prong mounted connector inside one of the cabinets. The use of the stick light will be minimal, so a permanent fix will not be required. My goal is to setup a quick connect for 12 volt accessories when needed in the back without having to drill through the fiber glass walls. MY DW will punch me. NT. There are many other ways to feed the wire inside temporarily. I also have the convertor unit but that is to bulky to lay around especially when we have guests and sometimes little kids around. I'm heading out to Harbor Freight to see what kind of items (Goodies) they have I can use to make this happen.

DesertThumper

Not sure about your RW, but there are some extra fairly heavy gauge 12V wires ran to the right rear corner underneath and near the frame of my Cyclone. I assume they are for accessories but I have not chased them down to see where they terminate. It might be worth investigating.

I did not see this suggestion until now. Duh, that would be even better to mount a quick connect there. Thanks!