12 Volt Problems

jdoddharm

I have a 2010 Eagle Ridge 35QSQB, and my 12 volt system doesn't seem to be working properly. When I have it plugged in it is like the converter is only working part of the time. We were camping a few weeks ago and by the end of the night the lights were so dim you couldn't see, and the A/C wouldn't kick on until I shut the exterior light off, and then sometimes all of the sudden the lights get bright as if the converter has kicked in. I just put 2 new batteries on it thinking it might help but it didn't. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GOTTOYS

The A/C runs on 110 so it should not be affected except that the control circuit through the thermostat is 12 volt. I would check the breaker for your convertor and make sure it's on. Best to turn it off then on to make sure it's not tripped. That would be my guess. Your 12 volt batteries will charge off the tow vehicle when connected. Also check the battery connections at both the batteries and where they are hooked up to the rest of the system on the trailer. Possible bad ground connection as well...Don

Rickhansen

Sounds like you've got the problem figured out already. From your description of the symptoms, I have to agree with you.

Now you just need to find out where & why you're losing your 12-volt supply. I'd suggest leaving access to your convertor open and go through start to finish and check your 110vac connections to the convertor and follow with checking the fuses and 12vdc connections from the convertor to the batteries. Give everything the "Tug Test" making sure everything is clean and tight. Check voltages at key points along the way, make sure they are correct and write them down. When the symptoms occur again, start at the convertor and start checking from there to find out where your losing your power.

I know that's not too helpful, but from here suggestions are all there is to offer.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. We'll keep rooting for you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When the 12V lights suddenly brighten, that's when the converter is in boost mode putting a charge on the battery. If all else fails, it's possible that your converter is loosing it. If you can access it, determine which model it is and contact the manufacturer for possible assistance. Progressive Dynamic used to have a replacement policy at a reduced cost.

wdk450

This sounds like a flaky convertor to me. You can turn off the convertor AC breaker, or crawl into where the convertor is mounted and unplug it. Then get a cheap 20 amp (or more) battery charger, connect it to the battery, and see if the symptoms repeat. If they don't repeat, the problem is the convertor. If they do repeat, you have a wiring problem.
I got a 45 amp (I think) charger at WalMart for about $35 when I was on the road and my convertor got water damaged. This did the job for a few days until I could install a new convertor, which cost about $220.

Hyper

Im looking for some solution to my problem looks like my converter is going on the bum got 12v for about 2 minute and kick out need to unplugge the 120v, then plug it back in it does the same thing has any body ever have this happen to them

danemayer

Im looking for some solution to my problem looks like my converter is going on the bum got 12v for about 2 minute and kick out need to unplugge the 120v, then plug it back in it does the same thing has any body ever have this happen to them

Hello Hyper,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the Heartland Family. There's a lot of useful information here along with a lot of friendly people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Are you saying that when you plug into shore power, you get 12V output from the converter for about 2 minutes and then the voltage drops to 0? Or perhaps you mean that all the 12V lights and systems quit after 2 minutes?

When the converter is running, the voltage at the battery is typically over 13V. If the battery has a bad cell or is shorted, it might be bringing the converter down.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check the converter output as follows:

1. Disconnect the positive lead from the battery.
2. Take a voltage reading at the power converter output terminals. Should read 13.6VDC.

The converter is usually found behind the basement wall.

Another possibility is that there's something wrong with the shore power - maybe voltage is too high causing a converter shutdown.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is the manual for the PD9200 series converters. If you go to page 5, you will find the troubleshooting guides for it. Once you find your converter, determine which brand it is. Progressive Dynamics was common in Heartlands, but they may have used different brands.

brlr2000

I had a very similar problem on mine. I removed the converter, and took it apart. There are a couple of screws holding it together...and a couple of rivets that need to be drilled out. Once you have it apart, look for any loose components. I found a loose choke coil. If you wiggle all the larger components, they should not be loose. If you find a loose component, resolder it in place, and test it again. These electronics get a lot of vibration going down the road, and the heavier components tend to vibrate until the solder cracks. Good Luck!