12 volt valve for aux tank

Garypowell

One of my first project this year will be to put a 12 volt valve on my gravity feed Aux tank. Have a couple of questions:

1. What valve are you using that you would recommend and where did you get it for what price?

2. I am thinking about using a garage door opener frequency relay to operate the valve. Has anyone here done that and where did you get your R/C Relay at?

I have seen some 10 A relay's for like $10 on line with good reviews My thought is since I don't have upfitter switches but I do have 2 extra garage door opener buttons in the Chevy...why not use one of them to open and close the valve

Thanks for your help.

Oregon_Camper

Pardon my lack of understanding of Aux Tanks. If it is gravity feed, why not leave it open all the time, to constantly fill the main tank?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
This is the site i purchased the 12 v pump to augment the gravity feed from my previous Ram bed tanks: http://www.facet-purolator.com/cube-fuel-pumps.php

The Gravity feed works great but you can't monitor the gravity feed, while it works great, you don't know how much is left in the bed tank....with the pump, you fill the truck tank
and then shut off the pump....example I have a 55 gal bed tank and a 32 gal truck tank...If the truck tank is on E...when I fill it I know the balance in my bed tank....The gravity feed tank I have a ball valve
but you have to manually shut off the valve...with the pump, I have an aux switch in my 2016 Ram that turns on the pump and shuts it off as I desire...just watch the gauge and you know when to turn the switch off.
The Gravity is so slow and it runs forever to fill the tank.....What every works for you is great...I used the gravity feed for about 5 years...now that I have an Aux switch, I would never go back to gravity feed...
Each has their own prevence!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I use one similar to the one at this link [LINK]
I added a lighted on/off switch near my steering wheel.
The solenoid only draws about 2 amps so it's easily fused.
The system works great.

Peace
Dave

Doublegranch

Dave:
I have 5 aux switches from the factory in my new ram, which lite up when on...They work great...just have to remember to shut the aux switch off...
I didn't a couple of times and lost a few gal of fuel.

jnbhobe

I have a 60 gal aux tank with a setup like Dave's. Mine is hooked to the upfitter switches on my Ford and only work with the key on. The Ford also keeps track of the miles traveled and gallons used and it's all gravity fill. So I've got some wire and a $25 valve invested and I have used this setup on 4 trucks since 2003.

RoadJunkie

A system that is designed to operate based on administrative control, in this cases manually operating the gravity feed valve, relys on operator interaction for flow/no flow sequencing. An example we can all understand is the administrative control of filling a black tank while the dump valve is closed and remembering to open said valve prior to overflow. Sounds easy, but sometimes we become distracted and...well, you know.

An engineered control would require the operator to begin the sequence (open gravity fill valve) and then automatically close the valve once a permissive is reached, e.g., a timeout clock that allowed flow for a given, predefined period. So, whether you select a pump or gravity feed, consider designing an engineered control into the process. Unless, that is, your memory is better than mine.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Gravity fill for me. Aux tank valve always open when towing. When fuel gauge starts dropping aux tank is empty. KISS (keep it simple (for) silly (people)) method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

A system that is designed to operate based on administrative control, in this cases manually operating the gravity feed valve, relys on operator interaction for flow/no flow sequencing. An example we can all understand is the administrative control of filling a black tank while the dump valve is closed and remembering to open said valve prior to overflow. Sounds easy, but sometimes we become distracted and...well, you know.

An engineered control would require the operator to begin the sequence (open gravity fill valve) and then automatically close the valve once a permissive is reached, e.g., a timeout clock that allowed flow for a given, predefined period. So, whether you select a pump or gravity feed, consider designing an engineered control into the process. Unless, that is, your memory is better than mine.

There is a roll over valve on the gravity feed, when fuel fills to the roll over it shuts off. I turn mine on at 3/4 tank and turn it off when the main starts to go down. Like Lyle said (KISS)

Garypowell

Oregon Camper,

my reason to turn the flow off is that Chevy computers don't understand why the fuel tank is not emptying and after 50 miles or so the gauge fails to empty and the distance to empty does not work. Not a big deal but as someone else noted you can add in a controlled amount of fuel and then close it off (I think they were pumping but the same principle works with gravity feed only slower) and this helps you manage your fuel without having to look at the tank.

Others are are simply ok with letting it drain and the on board gauge fail.

Oregon_Camper

....my reason to turn the flow off is that Chevy computers don't understand why the fuel tank is not emptying and after 50 miles or so the gauge fails to empty and the distance to empty does not work.

Wow...that would be big deal if you didn't want to keep track in your mind of your distance to empty. Question...does it jump back to full if you stop/start engine?

Hey Ford guys...does Ford do this too? I've never had a second tank, but now that I have the 8' bed, I'm thinking about adding one.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have gravity flow in my '14 f 350 and a 37 gal aux tank. I leave my valve open all the time with no issues. The DTE will continuously reset as the fuel comes into the main tank from the aux tank. So no issues there. My fuel gauge that monitors the main tank will start to move after I burn just over 34 gallons out of the aux tank (never have been able to get the advertised 37 gallons out if it). I can also monitor how many gallons burned via my DIC so I also know when the aux tank is empty. I have not had any issues with the entire set up and have had it for over a year now.

Garypowell

Oregon,

it does go back to normal each time you restart the engine. On my new 2015 it actually threw an error code and turned on the check engine light the first time I used the tank. Spooked me a little.

so my proceedure now is to fill both tanks and leave the valve open for 50 - 60 miles (only around town with new truck since tank in). Then close it and run main tank down and then open valve again.

the reason I do this is my driveway is angled down and if I don't use some fuel it will come out the overflow. I know I could simply put less fuel in.....but I got the tank to use it.

And another reason for the project is I am a little bit of a gadget freak......enjoy doing little things like this.

i am surprised no one has used their garage door opener buttons to do this........

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have gravity flow in my '14 f 350 and a 37 gal aux tank. I leave my valve open all the time with no issues. The DTE will continuously reset as the fuel comes into the main tank from the aux tank. So no issues there. My fuel gauge that monitors the main tank will start to move after I burn just over 34 gallons out of the aux tank (never have been able to get the advertised 37 gallons out if it). I can also monitor how many gallons burned via my DIC so I also know when the aux tank is empty. I have not had any issues with the entire set up and have had it for over a year now.

Exactly. The fuel info is cumulative for my SD even though the OEM tank is only 26 gal it keeps track of gallons used until I manually reset at each fill up or whenever.
In addition my gravity feed is faster than my typical usage therefore as I said earlier I know exactly when aux tank kicks.

macjj

Gravity fill for me. Aux tank valve always open when towing. When fuel gauge starts dropping aux tank is empty. KISS (keep it simple (for) silly (people)) method.

Here, here from me. Thought about a valve or pump, but couldn't justify the extra effort. One drawback I noted. If I forget to manually shut it off, the main tank will fill to a point where the gauge will indicate empty, and if you should pop the cat to check, be ready for a flash flood. Takes a few miles to correct itself, just a note of caution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I had my GMC I would not turn on the tank till the OEM gauge was down to 1/4 full.
That way my OEM tank would not get to full and shut down the DIC as I used just a little less than the aux tank was providing.
My solenoid valve is keyed so that it will shut the aux tank flow off when the ignition is off.
This system has always worked well.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gary, mine has done that 2-3 times. Its not a big issue to me. Sometimes it comes back on it's own and will always come back when you cycle the ignition switch. Mine will do it ..but more at 150-200 miles.

Doublegranch

One major advantage for the pump vs gravity flow for my set up is the pump will empty all 55 gallons of fuel in the aux tank, where the gravity flow cannot pull the bottom 5 gallons.
I am reading that some experience the fuel gauge and or your computers MPG reading incorrectly with the aux tank when filling. I have not had any problems and this
is the third Ram this system has been in. On gravity, I can leave the valve open and it will only fill as needed and never an over flow problem. I have driven from AZ to WY 1200 miles with it fully open and no issues with the fuel gauge or computer reading the MPG, Avg etc. When I added the pump the aux switches in the 2016 Ram are programmable for battery controlled or when the key is on. So the aux switch for the pump will only turn on in my case when the key is on and I activate the aux switch. It has a light in the switch when it is on, so if you look down it will remind you the pump is on....I just don't always look down, but it is training me. As stated before, either system works great but I am now enjoying the extra 5 gallons of fuel and the convenience of just pushing a button when ever I want. I did purchase the fuel neck kit from Northern Tools that has a ball inside the filler hose valve and shuts itself off when the main tank fuel comes up into the filler hose, it pushes up on the ball that shuts off the flow from the aux tank. It is a very nice $80 item.

porthole

Retired
1. What valve are you using that you would recommend and where did you get it for what price

Maybe I missed the answer in 17 posts.
Here is the valve and site I got it from. Don't remember if the price is the same.

Keep in mind that for a gravity feed there is a specific gravity feed version of the solenoids. Standard air or liquid solenoid valves rely on "head pressure" to open when activated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300876957423

Here is a thread with pictures on the Ford Truck Forum (FTE) of my install.

Last edited:

Garypowell

Doublegranch,

Even before your last comment I was leaning towards a pump. I have never stuck a flashlight down into the tank to see how far it emptied on gravity. But with it being as slow as it is it does not surprise me some might be left when the drag of the line, etc. equals the weight of the fuel.

I think I had only seen pumps in the hundreds of dollars but once I checked out the link I saw they were about the same cost as a good valve....maybe a little more.

I might still try and use my garage door opener button to turn the pump on and off but as a safety concern.....well not safety but more operational might see if I can rig up an LED light that I can see when the pump is energized. With the gravity feed it is really not a problem if the valve stays open since I have that check valve you mentioned. But I don't think I want a pump running when the tank is empty or the main tank full.....you might correct me but this does not seem to be a good idea.

But an LED that I could see peaking out under the hood by the windshield would let me know if my relay has failed to turn off. Still a work in progress......still time to think things over.

But thanks for helping me think more in this direction.