12 volt valve for aux tank

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Gary:
If your truck doesn't have an aux switch, you might want to go to your dealer or an auto house and pick one up. You can wire it from power under your dash and attach it where cosmetically you like. There are a number of them with illuminated areas on the switch to show when it is on and no light when off. Then you just click the button and you don't have to worry about your garage door button...
Just a suggestion. It looks clean and is as permanent as you want it to be. I am referring to the rocker switches, not a toggle switch.
I think you will be happy with the pump. I purchased my pump from Aftermarket LLC for $35.75 product number 40289 Facet cube solid state fuel pump, good luck!

davebennington

When I installed my aux tank in our truck I tried the gravity feed, it just did not work well. Now have installed a 12 volt valve wired in series with a inline pump so when I turn the pump on the valve open and turns on also. I pull the fuel from the bottom of the tank and I also have an inline fuel filter just to keep everything clean. It is all controled by a toggle switch on the dash with a light so I know when it is pumping. I purchased everything from the local NAPA store.

dave

Jv75353

When I installed my aux tank in our truck I tried the gravity feed, it just did not work well. Now have installed a 12 volt valve wired in series with a inline pump so when I turn the pump on the valve open and turns on also. I pull the fuel from the bottom of the tank and I also have an inline fuel filter just to keep everything clean. It is all controled by a toggle switch on the dash with a light so I know when it is pumping. I purchased everything from the local NAPA store.

dave
Could you list the part numbers of parts you purchased from your NAPA store?

Garypowell

And.....can someone tell me what happens to the pump when you pump the tank dry.....do they get damaged? Can they be damaged if they run dry for 1 minute, one hour, one day?

I am not sure how they work as they are called "electronic"....what does that really mean. I know centrifugal pumps and positive displacement pumps from my time in the navy......but how does an "electronic pump" work?

I know I can put upfitter switches in my 15 chevy.....and probably should get the cost....but my guess is it is going to be expensive.

Thanks all for your input.....look forward to more.

Doublegranch

Gary:
On the solid state Cube pump that I gave you the part number, it will continue to run until you either shut off the Aux switch or turn the ignition key off. So like any pump you run dry long enough, it could seize up. I have ran my pump dry several times to test if anything was left in the Aux tank. No issue with the pump. Don't over think this project...for $35 on a new pump, you can experiment around and not be out anything.

avvidclif

Just a thought on the whole process. Since junk collects at the bottom of the tank do you really want to completely empty it every time?

Doublegranch

Probably not, but my port sits up about a 1/4 inch from the bottom on a 55 gallon bed tank, when I say I pumped it dry, there is always a thin layer of fuel in the bottom. Also the new Ram has two fuel filters so I am really not worried. The dealer recommendations was not to put a third on the bed tank. But the end result is their should not be much junk in the tank as I use this fuel on a regular basis. I have a quick fill port with another pump for my ranch equipment and so this tank is refilled several times a month. It is used as much as the main truck tank and in 5 ram trucks, I have never had an issue with sediment in the bottom of my tank that caused any issues.

Garypowell

I have always been a little concerned with the general cleanliness of the fuel. When I first installed the tank as a gravity feed I put a filter in the line......got little to no flow. I had not mentioned it but now that I am switching over to probably using a pump I am thinking of putting a filter back in.

The way I have mine wired (again without upfitter switches) is I have put a whole new fuse box that sits on top of the one in the engine compartment. I am driving my LED bed lights and my GPS and Valor systems directly. This is where I was going to put the fuel pump power....and again use a garage door opener switch and relay.

That is why I mentioned about an under the hood LED that could be seen when driving. This way I'll know if the relay is working and be reminded to turn off the pump.

davebennington

Could you list the part numbers of parts you purchased from your NAPA store?

Here is the NAPA fuel pump number: AFPE 310

It cosy about $53.00.

I could not find the electric shutoff number, however if you goto any well stocked NAPA you should find one. OR you could go with a manual control valve I have used one of these before.

dave

macjj

I have about 30k on my rig, 4 trips across country and back, 20k Oman aux tank in the bed (I made vs naught), never ran out of fuel, but periodically us an additive. My port is about 1/4 in above the bottom, no filter (probably should). I manually turn the valve n between 1/4 and 1/3 tank indication. It stays that way until I stop. If I forget to turn it off overnight, indicator goes full+. Just turn it off and drive a little and it returns to normal. Just don't open the cap. Thought about the 12v valve, but decided it was not worth the effort. When the gauge continues to go lower while driving with the valve open, time to fill up. Or just fill up the following morning after a long drive. My max range is ought 600 miles. My stamina tops out at 450 miles. Just food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macjj

Sorry for the misspellings, I not sure I will ever get used to these pads vs a good keyboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ssunit1

Just joined the forum and found this thread. I'm getting ready to install my aux tank with a gravity feed and have also purchased a 12v solenoid shut off valve. All the above info is very useful and am looking forward to getting more out of the other posts.

Oregon_Camper

Love my 45 gallon tank in the bed of the truck. Very nice to not have to worry about where to get fuel with a RV attached.