12V Charging

scottyb

I have a couple questions concerning charging the battery(s). I have read where the converter is a poor charger for the battery(s) and will boil off the electrlyte and never fully charges the battery(s). I leave my rig connected to shore power full time and would prefer a better way to maintain the batteries. My thoughts are to turn off the battery switch and use a true battery charger/conditioner and let the converter run the fridge and other RV functions. Also, does the charge from the tow vehicle come through the switch or does it go straight to the battery?

wdk450

Many of the postings about the converters being poor battery chargers date from 15 years ago, or more. As a general statement, modern day converters pay close attention to the most current ideas in battery charging techniques. This has had the side effect of making these top of the line converter/chargers so expensive that many RV manufacturers have moved back to converters with less features.
For a number of years Heartland used the Progressive Dynamics PD9200 series converter chargers. I have this in my rig. I don't know what brand/model is now installed in Bighorns. Here is a link to the "Charge Wizard" which is part of the PD9200 series, and the voltages and timing on that system: http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/charge_wizard.html

danemayer

Scottyb,

When you read about converters in RVs, keep in mind that the author may be painting with a broad brush to cover all RVs. But a $12,000 camper isn't going to have the same components as you have. Not all cautionary notes apply equally to all RVs.

I'd expect that your converter will manage your battery just fine, but I'd also suggest checking the water level on a monthly basis. Just part of a good maintenance routine.

scottyb

I will check to see if mine is a PD9200. From that link, it looks like the battery(s) are managed properly if it is. I will be installing 2 6V GC batteries this week when my battery box arrives. The technician mentioned the "boiling off" during our PDI.

TeJay

I've had 4 different units over the last 25 years from motor homes to TT's ranging in prices from $150,000 to $25,000 and I've always used shore power to maintain the batteries and never had one boil the water (electrolyte). As a matter of fact I've seldom had to add water. Think about this. It is smart for any company to incorporate some sort of electronic circuit board which will control the rate of charge. Even if it's not the top of the line converter/charger. Most chargers today even cheaper ones use electronic circuits to control the rate of charge and to limit the charge when the B+ reaches full charge. If you bought the bottom of the line you might get a converter that did littlt other than simply charging. But chargers like that would be constantly over charging batteries and the company would be having all kinds of problems. An over charged B* is dangerous and opens up a company to law suits. Not really worth the savings in cost. An electronic circuit board to control these functions is not terribly expensive. Electronic components today are a lot less expensive than we would think. I also would take with a grain of salt things you might have heard from the PDI guy. I'll use my knowledge, common sense and 35 years experience in the automotive field to filter through the information gathered then make my decisions. JMTCW
TeJay

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Scotty... Our trailer came with a Interstate 36 mo. deep cycle battery. We have had the trailer 37mos. and it's still going strong. I keep the trailer plugged in when not in use and when we travel,(we boondock a lot) we charge it by plugging the shore power cord into portable generator. I know I have run the battery down to almost nothing several times while running the heater at night. It has never had any other charging source other than the converter that came with the trailer (wfco 8955 / Chinese of course). The website for that converter states that it is a 3 stage charging system, and it seems to work well. It has never boiled over and I have only had to add water twice in three years! Of course now I've probably given my battery the kiss of death with this post, but I'm just waiting for it to die so I can go with 2 / 6 volts anyway. lol Good Luck.

lwmcguir

We always use sealed batteries and leave the Coach plugged in when not on the road. Batteries last very well and no headaches or fumes filling the water/electrolyte level.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've left our rig plugged into shore power the last four summer seasons (May - Oct) with no problems. Ours is the PD9260 converter and I've added the Charge Wizard pendant. Only thing I do with the battery is check the water level in the cells occasionally. If a battery is overheating and boiling off, trust me, you'll smell it.

pegmikef

I stay hooked up to shore power whenever possible and the battery has charged just fine for over two years and as someone else noted, I have rarely had to add much water. As to the quality of charging by the converter, my converter actually charges the battery a little faster than my Honda Generator that has a battery charging outlet . . . probably because of the three different charging levels available to the converter. When boondocking, I just hook my generator to the shorepower cord to charge the battery using the converter.