16" tires on aluminum rims on BH3400RE- ideas on replacement tires??

RVFun4Us

Interesting information on this thread. I too am looking for replacement tires to replace the Unicorns on my 3055. Also posted in the Big Horn Tire thread. Some of these comments bring up the following questions in comparing the Goodyear G614s with the Michelin XPS (two most common recommended tires):

Are they ST tires or LT tires? As mentioned previously, the ST tires are made for trailer applications but the LT tires are not (flexibility), as far as I understand.

When determining whether made in USA or China, does it specifically indicate the country or do you have to decypher the DOT code?

Understand about the load ranges. My 3055 have the 3750 lb wheels so I could go to G tires but am concerned with wheel well, shocks and individual tire clearance if I go with the 85 series versus the 80 series tires. Do they make both the G614s and XPS tires in the 80 series?

ct0218

The 80 seems to be a Chinese sizing, Michelin and Goodyear are 85. Very little actual difference in size. Also, Mich are load range E, and the Goodyears are only LR G

RVFun4Us

Thanks for the explanation on the difference between 80s and 85s. That might also be one way to determine whether they are Chinese or American made tires short of decyphering the tire code. And I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Goodyears have a higher load capacity being "G" rated while the Michelins are maxxed at around 3042 lbs. Does that sound right?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dougstdig; The 37++ lbs on your wheel means it is maximum capacity is 3750 lbs witch means it will accept a G rated tire. Hope this helps, Jon

This is an intresting post. May I ask how your determing that the 37++ lbs indicate the capacity of the rim. I looked around to see if there was something available online but could not find anything..

Would you list your source.. I like to keep track of this type of information for future use..

jnbhobe

TXBOBCAT; I guess you would say I took it for granit. I have 3 wheels marked 3750lbs 1 marked 37++ all with good year g-rated tires from the factory.I will have to pull the wheels off when it goes in storage, and I will double check then. Jon;)

Dougstdig

TXBOBCAT; I guess you would say I took it for granit. I have 3 wheels marked 3750lbs 1 marked 37++ all with good year g-rated tires from the factory.I will have to pull the wheels off when it goes in storage, and I will double check then. Jon;)

I placed the ++ because I couldn't remember if it was 25 or 50. They are 3750's. Sorry for the confusion.

RVFun4Us

Well, we went with the Michelin XPS Ribs today. Cost about $249.00 per tire with balancing and steel stems on top of that. Even bought a used Michelin for the spare cause I wanted all the Unicorns and Mission tires off the rig. With our 3055, the max weight of 3042 lbs on the Michelins should be fine. Weighed each side of the 5er and weighed in at 5300 lbs on one side and 5250 on the other. So we will be fine. Didn't know the Goodyear G614s were 14 ply until today. They were quoted as over $1200.00.

Thanks Ziggy for the information on Basin Tire, that is where we purchased them. Les Schwab did not have (specialize in Toyo).

Now will feel comfortable when out on the road.

I replaced the ones that came with the unit with Michelin XPS LT235/85 R16 E rated at 3042 carry weight.

If I had 7,000lb axles, I would have gone with G rated Like the Goodyears. if you are going with G's, make sure the wheels can handle the air pressure.

EH!
Do you know what they torqued the rims to?

dbbls59

And I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Goodyears have a higher load capacity being "G" rated while the Michelins are maxxed at around 3042 lbs. Does that sound right?
I believe that is correct. That is why I am leary of installing LT tires because I have at least one wheel that is carrying more weight than that.

nesport

so lots of reading around power kings after a recent blow out. I checked my rims and they say max load 8/3750 lbs 110psi and 6/3200 lbs 100psi. So here are my two questions:1) what is the number in front of the lbs and 2) everyone says to switch to LT tires, however the manual specifically has a black box call out in it that states "do not replace ST tires with LT tires despite their ratings". What's the pros and cons here? And why is Heartland saying that? i'm thinking of Carlisle tires if I can't go to the LTs.

scottyb

The 8 and 6 represent the number of lug nuts. You will have to decide for yourself, but there are many here that have switched to LT's, feeling that the ST's are inferior tires.

dbbls59

At the rally in Goshen it was said that Goodyear G-614's are made in China in a plant owned by Goodyear. There is not a trailer tire made in the USA. Being made in China is not an indication of bad quality any more than being made in USA is an indication of good quality. It all depends in the specifications followed during construction. Sailun s-637's is anther tire made with the same specs as the G-614. It is an LT tire which also states on the sidewall that it is for trailer use only. It is rated for 75 MPH and is much less expensive than the Goodyear's. Good year is charging for the insurance to cover your trailer if there is damage caused by a tire failure.

danemayer

At the rally in Goshen it was said that Goodyear G-614's are made in China in a plant owned by Goodyear. There is not a trailer tire made in the USA. Being made in China is not an indication of bad quality any more than being made in USA is an indication of good quality. It all depends in the specifications followed during construction. Sailun s-637's is anther tire made with the same specs as the G-614. It is an LT tire which also states on the sidewall that it is for trailer use only. It is rated for 75 MPH and is much less expensive than the Goodyear's. Good year is charging for the insurance to cover your trailer if there is damage caused by a tire failure.
I think the Goodyear G614 is one of the few tires still made in the U.S. I've been told that the reason it weighs so much (and is expensive) is that is has steel belts not just under the tread, but running from bead to bead. I believe the Sailun has the same load characteristics, but I don't know if the internal construction is similar.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I recently purchased the G-614's. Molded in the sidewall is 'Made in U.S.A.'.
A prior conversation with Goodyear I was told that "if" there was a problem with production here then they could be made in another country. And it could be a country other than China.
I believe that the information you received is in error.

Peace
Dave

nesport

great info. Does anyone know why the Heartland manuals state not to go to LT's? Is there a disadvantage to them?

danemayer

great info. Does anyone know why the Heartland manuals state not to go to LT's? Is there a disadvantage to them?
ST tires are designed for trailer applications. LT tires are designed for light truck applications.

Some LT tires like the Goodyear G614 are designed to do well in either application and are specified by their manufacturer for either truck or trailer use. Other LT tires may be designed for truck use only, and may not be well matched to trailer applications. They will be spec'd by their manufacturers for truck use.

If Heartland didn't mention it, you might go shopping and get a tire not designed for trailer use.

mobilcastle

All I can say is Goodyear is making a boatload of money on these G's if they are made in China and that why I think there ahve been so many blowouts I have read about on RV.net-I also think making repairs to RV's is cheaper than ******. I run Sailons and I have yet to read about a blowout anywhere. Ther cost is way lower than Goodyear.http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

Last edited by a moderator:

Theresau

Ours are RST not LT. Goodyear G614s and made in the USA. These are designed with the tread being flat and not very deep. This allows tire to skid sideways in tight turns. Tires are regrooveable.

Joe
ST tires are designed for trailer applications. LT tires are designed for light truck applications.

Some LT tires like the Goodyear G614 are designed to do well in either application and are specified by their manufacturer for either truck or trailer use. Other LT tires may be designed for truck use only, and may not be well matched to trailer applications. They will be spec'd by their manufacturers for truck use.

If Heartland didn't mention it, you might go shopping and get a tire not designed for trailer use.