Question about Upgrading RV Tires

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Upgrading Tires

On the other hand, virtually every owner who experiences a failure claims to have maintained everything perfectly and never hit a curb.

Dan, curbs aren't the only hazards out there. Our nations roads are not perfect. I keep an eye on the road and try my best to steer around hazards, but sometimes you can't miss them. Yesterday in 200 miles there was one pothole in my travel lane that I couldn't avoid because of traffic on either side, and one repaired trench that had settled that ran all the way across the highway. I hope I didn't damage my tires, but there really isn't anyway to tell until it is to late. Tires are subjected to so much abuse it's a wonder any of them survive.

You are right. We just replaced the Maxxis that replaced out original TowMax. I KNOW we were careful with these... 65mph or less. No curbs. Good alignment. Not overweight. TPMS. But we had a tread separation starting, and luckily caught it early. 25k miles on them, but less than 3 yrs old by mfg date.

I don't think you can assume that "if you do everything right" you won't have an issue. You just HAVE to WATCH and TOUCH your tires often, so you can see and feel the first sign of a problem before it becomes a dangerous one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pokypa

I just purchased a 2014 Big Horn 3260El. I want to replace the wheels and tires to 17.5 wheels and 215/75/17.5 Goodyear tires. Just wondering if clearance will be a problem.

jnbhobe

no it will not be a problem

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The G114 17.5 tires are almost identical to the G614 16" tires in height. I know I changed them out.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

They are almost identical O.D. sizes

Before

ha7yvunu.jpg

After

7ezube6y.jpg

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk now Free

TXBobcat

Fulltime

I ran Michelin XPS Ribs on my 2008 Bighorn for many years. I was over weight on the tires even though they ran real well. In December of last year I changed to 17.5" rims and GY C114. So far no problems. So you can get an idea of the difference here is a couple of photos I took when I changed tires and rims.

C114 GY.jpg C114 GY2.jpg

Hope this helps. I have more room between tires with the C114's than with the XPS Ribs

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The photo on the left is unmounted tires with the 16 " G614 on the left and the 17.5 G114 on the right. You can see how they look on the RV.

Attachments

• DSC04918.JPG
    DSC04918.JPG
    742.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04924.JPG
    DSC04924.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 70

Kbvols

Just courious did you go with Maxxis tires again? I just switched from Towmax to Maxxis. So far I like the way the Maxxis perform. I agree with you have to pay close attention to tires regardless.

You are right. We just replaced the Maxxis that replaced out original TowMax. I KNOW we were careful with these... 65mph or less. No curbs. Good alignment. Not overweight. TPMS. But we had a tread separation starting, and luckily caught it early. 25k miles on them, but less than 3 yrs old by mfg date.

I don't think you can assume that "if you do everything right" you won't have an issue. You just HAVE to WATCH and TOUCH your tires often, so you can see and feel the first sign of a problem before it becomes a dangerous one.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Yes, we went with Maxxis again.

XPS Ribs are considered a "summer tire", and have lower weight rating than we needed.

We were unable to make the financial jump to 110 psi wheels and Goodyears. Carlisle were recommended by Discount Tire, but I found lots of unhappy customers on the net.

With Maxxis, I know what I'm getting.

Kbvols

Awesome, I was hoping you would have said that. I figured if you bought another set you were satisfied. Thanks!!

Yes, we went with Maxxis again.

XPS Ribs are considered a "summer tire", and have lower weight rating than we needed.

We were unable to make the financial jump to 110 psi wheels and Goodyears. Carlisle were recommended by Discount Tire, but I found lots of unhappy customers on the net.

With Maxxis, I know what I'm getting.