Question about Upgrading RV Tires

desertden

My 2008 Big Horn 3055RL came with 235/80R16 Mission tires mounted on 16" x 6"rims rated for 3750 lbs at 110 psi. After 2 blowouts, I am trying to find stronger tires. Several Heartland Forum posters recommend Goodyear G614 which are load range G but the 235/85R16 tire requires 6.5" rims. Michelin XPS Rib tires have been recommended, as well. They only come in Load Range E but appear to be much higher quality than the Missions. There is no XPS Rib that will mount on 6" rims except one that is 32" in diameter. The tires currently on my 5th wheel are approximately 30" in diameter and are only 2" apart so those XPS Ribs will not fit. I have 2 options: purchase 6.5" rims and G614 tires or separate the axles a couple of inches so that the XPS Ribs would fit. I am concerned about altering the axle spacing as I assume Heartland had a reason for mounting them as was done at the factory. My questions is, "Is it safe to alter the spacing of the axles?". If you have any other suggestions for solving my problem, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thank you,
desertden

jnbhobe

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Upgrading Tires

I have two friends with 3055's and both have G-614's on them.

danemayer

My questions is, "Is it safe to alter the spacing of the axles?"
If you spread the axles apart, the shackles hooked to the EZ-Flex will be pulled toward a horizontal position rather than vertical. You might inadvertently flip the springs on one axle when you hit a big bump in the road. That would not be good.

Also, I'm pretty sure you'll find it less expensive to buy new wheels than to have someone take your axles off, cut the old hangers off, weld new ones on and put everything back together.

desertden

An excellent point as I have found one or two potholes in my travels. Several posters have stated they upgraded to 17.5" wheels. With the same axle spacing, they would have to mount a lower profile tire. There are such tires with H ratings, so I guess that is what they have done.

Thanks for your quick response!
desertden

jimtoo

I had a 3055RL and had Michelin XPS Ribs on it for 4 years. Not a single problem with them touching. They were close, but gave no problems in 35-40K miles.

Jim M

desertden

I had a 3055RL and had Michelin XPS Ribs on it for 4 years. Not a single problem with them touching. They were close, but gave no problems in 35-40K miles.

Jim M

Do you remember which specific XPS Rib tire you had? The only one I could find that would mount on 6" rims with a diameter of 30.7 " only had a Load Index of 115 when 124 is absolute minimum for this trailer (3520 lbs at 80 psi).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Dennis, my Bighorn, a 2007, is currently running Hercules LR "F" which are 30.7" diameter. No problems so far. My previous tires were G614's on the factory Series06 wheels. They are rated for 3750/110 psi but I don't know if they are 16 X 6 or 16 X 6-1/2.

When Heartland started offering G614's as an option, they use the same wheels that the OEM tires were mounted on weather they be Missions or TowMax or any other brand.

I don't feel you need to replace the wheels.

Theresau

In regard to the wheels that was not what we were told when ordering the BC. The wheels are different - allow more psi. One of the main reasons we upgraded at build instead of afterward. (Jim B. alerted us to this when we were at the rally at Williston this year - we were planning to upgrade tires after the build - he said to check on the wheels and their psi capability...and he was correct...)

Dennis, my Bighorn, a 2007, is currently running Hercules LR "F" which are 30.7" diameter. No problems so far. My previous tires were G614's on the factory Series06 wheels. They are rated for 3750/110 psi but I don't know if they are 16 X 6 or 16 X 6-1/2.

When Heartland started offering G614's as an option, they use the same wheels that the OEM tires were mounted on weather they be Missions or TowMax or any other brand.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

HL also started putting E-rated tires where they previously put G's, like on BH3670 rigs. I haven't checked their catalog lately to see if they still are.

Theresau

Yes they still are. This was brought up at the rally in Goshen as well.

HL also started putting E-rated tires where they previously put G's, like on BH3670 rigs. I haven't checked their catalog lately to see if they still are.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

In regard to the wheels that was not what we were told when ordering the BC. The wheels are different - allow more psi. One of the main reasons we upgraded at build instead of afterward. (Jim B. alerted us to this when we were at the rally at Williston this year - we were planning to upgrade tires after the build - he said to check on the wheels and their psi capability...and he was correct...)

True but the OP's rig is a 2008. Back then all Bighorn's had the higher capacity wheels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Garypowell

The OP said the tires he currently had were rated to carry 3,750 pounds. That is all the G614's are rated for that many have switched to. I am sure we can argue all day on "better" tires....just read all the posts. My concern here is if there is something else causing the blow outs? OP did not mention how heavy he was, terrain he covers, or how fast he drives. If you ask too much from any tire....something has to give.

desertden

The G614 specs specifially state they are to be mounted on 16"x6.5" rims. It must have to do with the width of the tire and its aspect ratio. I am going to try to fit 235/85R16 Michelin XPS Ribs as jimtoo states he was able to mount them on his 3055. If his trailer had the same suspension set up as my 2008 model, I should be OK sticking with my 16"x6" rims. If not, I will have to keep looking. You stated that you have Hercules LR F tires but don't know the rim width. I know nothing about that brand. I will search the internet. If I have to pop for new rims and tires, my RV'ing budget will be blown away. :(

GOTTOYS

My 2008 Big Horn 3055RL came with 235/80R16 Mission tires mounted on 16" x 6"rims rated for 3750 lbs at 110 psi. After 2 blowouts, I am trying to find stronger tires. Several Heartland Forum posters recommend Goodyear G614 which are load range G but the 235/85R16 tire requires 6.5" rims. Michelin XPS Rib tires have been recommended, as well. They only come in Load Range E but appear to be much higher quality than the Missions. There is no XPS Rib that will mount on 6" rims except one that is 32" in diameter. The tires currently on my 5th wheel are approximately 30" in diameter and are only 2" apart so those XPS Ribs will not fit. I have 2 options: purchase 6.5" rims and G614 tires or separate the axles a couple of inches so that the XPS Ribs would fit. I am concerned about altering the axle spacing as I assume Heartland had a reason for mounting them as was done at the factory. My questions is, "Is it safe to alter the spacing of the axles?". If you have any other suggestions for solving my problem, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thank you,
desertden
I have 235/85/16 XPS Ribs on my Big Country 3250. Didn't have to change anything. They are a little closer together than the originals but work fine. All you need is a couple inches between them. I have my stock rims as do hundreds of others that use the same tire and size. If your rims are rated for 110 PSI you could also use the G614s without a problem You don't need to move the springs, nothing. A 3055 isn't real heavy, either tire will work well. Just go have a set mounted up and live happily ever after....Don

tljack

Is it really necessary to replace factory tires if I keep my weight within the limits, tire pressure correct and keep my speed down?

danemayer

Is it really necessary to replace factory tires if I keep my weight within the limits, tire pressure correct and keep my speed down?
Hi tljack,

There's a lot of hot debate on this subject and you'll no doubt get lots of opinions.

What we don't know is the actual failure rates (# of failures divided by total # of tires shipped). Heartland and other RV manufacturers ship a lot of Towmax tires, but we don't know how many. How many failed? On this forum and others, you can find a lot of posts about Towmax failures; over a period of years, maybe a hundred or two. The issue gets more complicated because many disappointed and angry owners post repeatedly about the same failure.

So the failure rate is unknown.

Some people swear by one brand or another. We don't hear about tire failures with that brand. Perhaps that's because it's a better tire. Or maybe there aren't very many in use and they're really no better than Towmax. We. Just. Don't. Know.

Tire experts say that almost all failures are caused by underinflation, overloading, going too fast, or hitting curbs. They acknowledge that a few failures are due to a batch with a manufacturing defect. On the other hand, virtually every owner who experiences a failure claims to have maintained everything perfectly and never hit a curb.

There's also the unknown involved in delivery the RV to the dealer by transport drivers. How fast are they driving? Are they towing level? Have they caused damage that will show up later? We have no way of knowing.

If you do everything right, will you be ok? Maybe. Maybe not.

If you upgrade to a higher load rating, will you be ok? The extra margin of a higher load range may very well protect you.

It will probably come down to how risk averse you are.

bdunker

I will add my two cents worth, after having three blow outs one the left side only in 18 months, slow learner, I went to a tire dealer in Mon tana and explained the problem and history, they immediately installed four 14 ply tires on the rig, 235 85 16, they are Sunlin (Chinese) G637. On the most recent pull in 90 degree temp., the tires were running 104, I carry 100psi in them and have checked with Rim provider and they say the rims are good in this configuration at 110 psi MAX. The tire stand sidewall straight and have a very minimum of flex. So far so good.

Gaffer

The 3055 is not a heavy trailer. The E-rated Maxixs is a quality tire that no one has posted a problem with. It will give you plenty of reserve capacity. I run them on my 3055 and have put a lot of miles on them. They are easy to find at Discount/Americas Tire stores.

BobnBet

That is what my husband thought, too. Today we had our first Towmax blow in spite of doing everything right. This was after less than 2000 miles. Don't take the chance!

JanAndBill

On the other hand, virtually every owner who experiences a failure claims to have maintained everything perfectly and never hit a curb.

Dan, curbs aren't the only hazards out there. Our nations roads are not perfect. I keep an eye on the road and try my best to steer around hazards, but sometimes you can't miss them. Yesterday in 200 miles there was one pothole in my travel lane that I couldn't avoid because of traffic on either side, and one repaired trench that had settled that ran all the way across the highway. I hope I didn't damage my tires, but there really isn't anyway to tell until it is to late. Tires are subjected to so much abuse it's a wonder any of them survive.