2008 Ford F350 King Ranch DA 6.4L PS Diesel

jwalker1

I have the 2008 Ford F350 King Ranch D/A 6.4L PS Diesel with the 4.30 LS. I also have the Camper Package. Am I correct in thinking that this is the same truck as a F450 since I have the 4.30 LS and the Camper Package. I know that the 450 comes with the 4.88 LS also.

Bighurt

Are you asking about a 2011 or 2008 F450. Big difference...

The 2008-2010 F450 where in their own league, Ford killed the 2011 F450 platform, essentially it is a fully built F350.

jwalker1

Big Hurt,

I am talking about the 2008 F350. It seems that when I look at the specs for the 2008 F450 with the 4.30 LS it gives a higher towing rating than the F350 but I don't see a whole lot of difference in them..... Where are you from in North Dakota? I spent 5 years at Minot AFB...

Bighurt

The spec sheets don't give you part numbers, 2008-2010 the F450 used a larger axle, and spring set. The 2011 F450 uses the exact same as an F350 with a beffed up spring set. I believe the stance on the 08-10 is wider than the 11 as well but can't confirm.

There are other parts Ford cut to save costs. Essentiallly in 2011 Ford cut the F450 and added a "F450" package to the F350 options. Aside from a few components the big difference is you get F450 badges.

Now the 2008 F450 is a completly different animal, essential no amount of change to your F350 will achieve the same starting package as the 08 F450. There was just two much difference, and the difference wasn't published in the brouchure.

I'm no expert but this was discussed in the another forum in depth and I'm just releying information.

I'm not from North Dakota origionally.... I'm on Minot AFB as I type...

If you have anymore questions I'd be happy to gather links to other boards, I'm just trying to help. I drive an F350 that we will have to replace when we upgrade to a cyclone in a few years, if given the choice now, I would buy an 08-10 F450 pickup or an F550 and put a hauler body on it.

Cheers
Jeremy

jwalker1

Bighurt,

So you are in the Air Force? I was stationed there from 1981 - 1986. Wasn't too bad. I worked at the CBPO (or as they call it now the Military Personnel Flight). We bought the Cyclone in May and haven't been out in it yet (except in the driveway). Hauled it home from the Dealer with no problems at all. It made the F350 squat a little but not much. I have added Ride Rite Air Bags but haven't tested them yet with the RV on the back. We usually only travel about 120 miles at the furthest from our house to the Naval Air Station in Corpus Christi, TX and to Guadalupe River RV Resort in Kerrville, TX. Haven't been on any real long trips yet. Why Not Minot the Reason is Freezin.....

Bighurt

So you are in the Air Force? I was stationed there from 1981 - 1986. Wasn't too bad. I worked at the CBPO (or as they call it now the Military Personnel Flight).

Yes, among other jobs...

MPF is gone...but everyone still calls it that. I think the actual section is called FSS (Force Support Squadron) Customer Service.

I wasn't here when you left...LOL **** I wasn't even in grade school yet!

jwalker1

Real funny......Thanks for the info you provided......I see I can tow up to a 17,500 Lb fifth wheel according to a brochure I got online. I still don't believe that but oh well I am stuck with the TV and RV for now. We may go to a Freightliner M2 SportChasis when I retire. Thanks for your service and keeping all of us safe.

jwalker1

No problem....I retired from the AF in 1991 (E7)....I enjoyed every minute of it.....Wouldn't change a thing. I currently work for the US Federal Courts as a Linux RHCE (Red Hat Certified) Engineer. Have a good one and thanks again.

Nemeaux

Be warned!

I have a 2008 Ford F-450...too bad USAA won't insure it. Anything above an F-350 is considered a "commercial vehicle" by most insurers. Progressive will insure it but it won't be cheap. And I can't reccommend Progressive. I have Amica insurance and prefer them to Progressive due to policy servicing issues I've had with Progressive.

Dave Hidinger
2009 Heartland Razor 3612TS
2008 Ford F-450 Lariat CC Dually 6.4L
2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic (FLHTCU)

Bighurt

USAA sucks, I have way better insurance through Statefarm.

Homeowners
Contractors
Commercial truck
POV's

Also USAA uses Progressive to cover a significant amount of their policies, and I think theirs worse... An example is motorcycle insurance, through USAA it was going to be $400 something a year, through Statefarm its $150.

In the end its better to compare coverage before price...

tmcran

Strange how things work . I have had excellent service from Progressive and have recommended them to a number of folks..

ScubaSteve

Full Timer
I think everyone has different experiences with insurance companies, but I have had great luck with USAA. I switched from State Farm and saved over $400 every 6 months. The State Farm agent wanted to keep me and asked why I was leaving. I told him I was going to USAA and he said, "oh, I can't compete with them". The customer service at USAA is also top notch. I'm sure there are those who have issues, but most of the complaints I read on reviews are from people trying to get something they can't afford (ie, not qualifying for lower rates on loans and insurance because their spending is out of their league).

As for the 2008-2010 F450s. They are a completely different truck than the F350. As said earlier, different axles, different suspension, and I'm not certain, but I think different frame. The stance is the same (regulated by DOT to 8.5 feet or it's oversize). It does sit much higher due to the 19.5inch wheels and heavy duty suspension.

For the 2011s. There are a lot of complaints about 'killing the F450'. I see it as the F350 became the F450. Either way, it's the same frame with different differential and springs. It hauls great and I see no reason to get an F550 to haul an 18,000 lb trailer. Seems like overkill and wasted money on fuel and insurance.

For the 2011 F450 owners, I would stick to your guns on the insurance problem with the F450. Most don't understand the GVWR. The 2008-2010 were commercially insured due to being over 14,000 lb GVRW (14,500 if I remember correctly). This is a magical number from the DOT. The 2011 is 13,050 and you should be able to find an insurance company that will insure it non-commercially. Especially if they insure F350's since it's the same thing. You may have to tell them "IT'S THE SAME TRUCK WITH A DIFFERENT DIFFERENTIAL, IT HAS 50 LBS MORE GVWR COMPARED TO A F350. WHY DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND SILLY PERSON SITTING AT A COMPUTER!" The person on the other end of the phone probably is imagining a big rig. I was asked how I would park it at the house since it's soooooooooo big.

Note: yes, 13,050 is a big drop from the 08's, but you CANNOT compare GVWR. They took a little hit in the payload (around 600-800 lbs if I remember correctly), but they also cut weight on the frame and engine. The difference in towing went from 24,600 lbs in the 10's to 24,400 for the 11. If 200 lbs ruins your day, then get a 550. Again, 4920 lbs is a lot and if you need more, get a 550. And keep in mind that the F350 towing went from the 18,000 lb range in 2010 to the 21,000 lb range in 2011. So, honestly, did they ruin the F450 by making it a F350, or did they make a smart business decision and combine the two onto one assembly line and make improvements across the board (minus a few hundred lbs in the 450). I'd challenge any 08-10 450 to a mileage comparison. I think my bank account will smile a little more than theirs. Well, I guess we'll both be frowning, but if we wanted to not spend money on fuel, we probably would have traded in our man cards (and woman cards) skipped on the truck and trailer and went for a prius!

Second note: For the 2011 6.7 l owners out there, Ford is putting out a free software upgrade that gives 10 more HP and 60 lbft torque! Putting the 6.7-liter Power Stroke Back on Top with a Power Upgrade