2009 or 2010?

Peteandsharon

OK, so I'm looking at my flyer for the Chicago RV show this weekend. It states "New 2009 Models plus year-end closeouts". Having seen Jims recent posting of the 2010 Bighorn brochure, aren't we technically on the cusp of the 2010 models? My current rig was at the Chicago show last year. We did not buy from the show but took the plunge about two months later. Our rig is a 2008 that was still on the lot but certainly at that point, the 2009's were out. So, when exactly is the cutoff for Hearland?

jbeletti

.. Our rig is a 2008 that was still on the lot but certainly at that point, the 2009's were out. So, when exactly is the cutoff for Hearland?

We usually show our new model year product at the dealer show in Louisville, KY in Nov/Dec. Orders are taken and we begin to build them as the new model year at that point.

With the economy being what it is, many dealers have petitioned show promoters to allow them to bring some percentage of previous model year product as they still have them on their lot. I think this works out well as it allows dealers to move stock they are paying curtailments on and affords consumers a great deal on that year of product. At the same time, most dealers do bring the new model year product to the show as well.

Jim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Interesting question. The 3670RL we bought last October, 2008, at the Novi, MI RV Show is registered as a 2009. Like autos, the ones built and sold in the second half of the year are sold as the next year's model.

2010augusta

My Landmark Augusta that was ordered in October 2008 and built in November 2009, was a 2010 model year. I could not register it until 2009, So I went almost a month without a plate.

azbound

That brings up a question I have had for a year. I ORDERED MY BH IN NOVEMBER OF 07, IT ARRIVED LATE DECEMBER 07. I thought I was getting an 08, however It had all the new stuff for 09, do I have an 08 or 09? Is there some place on the trailer that indicates the model year? The date of manufacture just confuses people.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Whatever is listed on your Title is the year of your rig. When the dealer receives the trailer documentation he receives a certificate of origin from Heartland. It all comes from that document. That gets sent with the initial application for title and registration/plates for your state.

jbeletti

On your VIN, the 8th digit in from the right, just to the left of the E.

The E is for Elkhart and in my case, the digit to the left of the E is a 9 for model year 2009.

Jim

Peteandsharon

Jim, Forgive me. Maybe I'm being dense here. Are you saying that the Louisville show occurs in Fall of a given year and you don't start building the next year's models until after that??? So, you don't start building 2010s, for instance, until after Oct. 2009? If that is true then maybe what I remember from April of last year is that 2009's were on the horizon...... not being built or ordered yet??
Thanks for the clarification, Pete

cjbearden

Visitor
I always insist on getting a copy of the Certificate of Origin. The original gets sent to treasurer wherever license are being obtained for the RV or Auto. Our first RV dealer in 2006 entrusted all of the licensing papers to us so we got to copy everything for our records. Our second RV Dealer in June 2008, did let us have a copy of the C.O.; but, they would not entrust the filing papers to us - insisted they had to do it themselves. Whatever, we got the license and I got the C.O. copy!!!

jbeletti

Pete,

Sorry but I cannot give you a definitive answer on exactly when we make the model year change, only an approximate time frame. I am not close enough to that process to know more.

Jim

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I was told that they stopped making the 2008's on Oct 31, 2007, so when we received ours in Feb 2008, it was a 2009. Peteandsharon I believe you probably have a 2009 Always obtain a MSRP sheet from the dealer and google the next years model and see if its already on the market. That's exactly what happened to me, and I am very happy. Look at the plate that has your GVWR and it will tell u the date it was produced.

Last edited:

rckc228

When I ordered my Bighorn in April of 2007 it was a 2008 when I received it. That was a pleasant surprise.

Peteandsharon

Hey Larry,

No, my VIN indicates it is a 2008. We understood the issue of the depreciation but we did get a very good deal and it had everything we wanted except the fireplace, which was added. I did speak to my dealer at the Chicago show and she confirmed that the 2010s are available now so at least I wasn't hallucinating when I thought the 2009s were available in April of last year.

nscaler2

Feeling slightly cheated

We ordered our Bighourn 3055RL in late February of 2006. It arrived and we picked it up in early Aprill of 2006. Per the title it is a 2006 model. According to everything everyone is saying about model year change times our should have been at least a 2007. We will be keeping our BH for a long time because we could not afford to do this all over again anyway. So, I guess this is a realativley unmportant thing in our case, but it still does fell like we got cheated out of a year. Along with this it came missing a few of the things that were in the brochure for the 2006 models. We were told by the factory that they had the right to change anything they wanted to and that it was essentially tough cookies. These things have always left a little bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. :eek:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Petandsharon, my apologies anyway for being insensitive. Good luck in your new RV. I am glad u got a great deal as it seems u made the right choice. I love my fireplace as well.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I do like ordered a new rv at the very beginning of the model year, i will have a 2010 in a month or so. I will get to use it for a while before 2010 ever gets here. Sure helps when you go to sell it and can say, only had it since 2010, instead of 2009.