2010 Slide Bottom Rotting despite factory fix

gpshemi

I remember reading the threads on the slide bottom edges not being covered on some of the early Heartland products. I looked at my 2010 Cyclone at the time and took comfort in knowing mine had the "factory fix" which involved a small piece of trim applied to the edges.

After a weekend of washing, we pulled the slide back out only to find a black mark on the carpet. I went outside to inspect the slide, and I now see the bottom of the slide is rotting out just past the factory aluminum edging over a few square inches. The black undercoat is peeling back as well. I seem to have caught it quick enough to where it shouldn't be a huge deal to fix, but I am a little concerned as to what is the correct fix and what the problem really is. I'm assuming the little 1/2" L-trim they install might not be enough protection. Does it need to go back several inches?

Anyone else have this issue?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I installed my own trim a while back after reading about the problem. I used 1 1/4" for the length of the flanges. Had it bent up at a siding supply company. Also applied a bead of caulk to the inside before attaching it under the existing trim strip and the caulked the top edge along the trim strip. No problems noted, but I inspect it during the summer.

danemayer

You might want to look at how water is getting to that spot. Could be road splash, or perhaps something more controllable.

I've noticed on the back of one of my slides that rainwater runs down and under. It's not happening on the other slides or fronts of the slides. I'll be putting on a bead of clear caulking to direct the water away from wood surfaces.

gpshemi

It seems to be just running down the sides and wicking around the bottom, and since the factory installed edging is only 1/2" wide at the bottom, it just collects past it and sits on that black underlayment (Darco?). I thought that stuff would have been water proofing, but apparently not.

Why is it the bedroom slide has what appears to be a polypropylene bottom, but the main slide just has some paper film?

LannyH

Had to replace our bed room slide bottom on our 2011 Elkridge because of this. Should be something the Company should have to maker right

gpshemi

You would think so. Pretty disappointed in that respect. Way too new for this kind of problem. It's not road splash. This rig hasn't seen THAT many wet rides.