2012 Big Horn 3455

Vinny773

Hi,
We are days away from ordering a 2012 Big Horn 3455. Is there anything anyone would like to share regarding this unit. The options we are ordering are the 2nd a/c, 4dr Refer w/ice maker, slide awning package Quad slide. Does anyone own the four point level up system and is it worth the cost? We are both very excited and somewhat nervous. This is our first 5th wheel.

Vinny & MarySue

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Vinny and MarySue, welcome to the forum.
There are a couple of things that I would recommend. One being the dual pane windows, and two the Trail Air Tri-Glide pin box.
I do not have the four point leveling system, but I do have the six point aftermarket, and I can say it is awesome. I get set up so quick I still cant believe it.
If these things are in your budget I would get them all.
And don't forget the fireplace.

Peace
Dave

funntheson

We do have the 4 point leveling system on our 2011 Bighorn, and I love it. We also have the power cord reel, which is a nice convenience. If you do much dry camping, then you want to consider the generator.

Some of these things are not cheap, it's just a question of whether you want to add them on our not.

Good luck, and enjoy your new rig when you get it.

Vinny773

cookie and funntheson,

thanks everyone for the quick response. I will be getting the power cord reel and fireplace. It sounds like the four point leveling system may be worth it, approx. $2,100. Dave, what excatly is the Trail Air Tri-Glide pin box? What do you feel is a good hitch for our truck? We have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9 diesel long bed dually? Does anyone have the stackable washer/dryer unit, and what do you think. We are not planning on doing much dry camping.

Vinny & MarySue

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Trail Air Tri-Glide is a pin box has an air bladder to help soften the up and down movement of the trailer in your bed. The tri glide part of it greatly aids in reducing or almost eliminating the to and fro movement known as chucking. You can read a little about it HERE at Lipperts web site. Don't let their price scare you.
There are other good pin boxes on the market, but this is the one I am familiar with and I like it.

Peace
Dave

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Congratulations on your near deal!

We have heard (but don't know for a fact) that Heartland will install a Trail-Air pinbox as a part of your build but will not install the Tri-Glide portion. The last two Bighorns that we saw come into Crossroads had the Trail-Air pinbox only. Ask your sales rep to confirm this with Heartland. I can tell you that the Tri-Glide does make all the difference in the world in towing comfort and is worth every penny! If this is true then the Tri-Glide can be added to your pin box at a later date.

We also have the four point leveling system. We have had a number of occasions where we were off the ground on one side and the rig was as stable as all get out! It is, however, a little scary the first time you see this and your chock falls out from in between the tires! This will also make your first step into the coach a high one from time to time. Best investment in this case is an additional portable step to help when this happens.

Stay in touch and let us know what you decide. Like JohnDar says, welcome to "Camp Gotchurwallet"!!

Last edited:

Vinny773

I checked the Heartland website and they do put on the Trail-Air pin box. I'll check with Crossroads and see what the cost is. Do you have an idea about how much this pin box cost? Is the Tri-Glide portion part of the hitch?

MarySue lives in Denville NJ. Is that anywhere close to where you are in Barnegat? When we put up delivery of the Big Horn we plan on staying in a nearby RV Park to test it out. Any ideas of a good close Park?

Vinny & MarySue

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I am sure John can explain the Tri-Glide thing but he is busy right now. Buena Vista Campground is nice and is about 5 miles away.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Vinny,
Do you have 4.10 gears? Good luck with your purchase. We are on our second fifthwheel. It is the only way to go for us.

Vinny773

Yes we have the 4.10 gears in our Dodge. This is our first fw and we are getting excited. Hoping to get a screaming deal from Cross Roads in NJ.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hey Vinny,

Was at Crossroads all day on Saturday. I took a look at the 3455 they have on the lot. Nice choice! As far as your deal goes, hope you are happy with them because part of what you need in the deal is "aftercare"! Their service department is at the "TOP OF THE LADDER"! IMO what comes after the sale is just as important as the sale itself!

Vinny773

Thanks Debbie,
I definitely know that after care is very important and that is why we are taking our time in our purchase of the FW and where we purchase it. Being a newbie I will have lots of questions and in need a great service department for assistance. It's great to hear this from you! I do have many questions, and I'm getting nervous not so much about the purchase but about everything after. I just want to do the right thing!
Vinny

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Vinny, you have friends here on the forum. There is no stupid question. Ask away and you will get answers. We were all newbies at one time. BTW, make sure you get the GY G614 tires....its a must have.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Thanks Debbie,
I definitely know that after care is very important and that is why we are taking our time in our purchase of the FW and where we purchase it. Being a newbie I will have lots of questions and in need a great service department for assistance. It's great to hear this from you! I do have many questions, and I'm getting nervous not so much about the purchase but about everything after. I just want to do the right thing!
Vinny

As far as I can tell you're on the right track! :)

Vinny773

Hello Everyone, MarySue and I put a deposit down on the 2012 3455 today at Crossroads. We are both very excited. I had a question about a hitch for my truck. Reese, Pullrite, B&W, or any other suggestions and why. Gross weight of the 5th wheel is 16,000 lbs. My truck is a 2006 Dodge 3500 Turbo Cummins 5.9 with a long bed. Should I get a hitch heavier, around 18,000 lbs or is 16,000 lbs fine? I did order the Trail Air Tri Guide Pin Box. Looking forward to delivery sometime in August.