2012 Big Horn 3455

Vinny773

Hey, I a fresh newbie and this may sound dumb to everyone else out there but why at least 18,000 lbs? It sounds like I should go bigger and that's fine but I like to understand why at least 18,000 lbs? Thanks for the quick response Patti & Jon

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hello Everyone, MarySue and I put a deposit down on the 2012 3455 today at Crossroads. We are both very excited. I had a question about a hitch for my truck. Reese, Pullrite, B&W, or any other suggestions and why. Gross weight of the 5th wheel is 16,000 lbs. My truck is a 2006 Dodge 3500 Turbo Cummins 5.9 with a long bed. Should I get a hitch heavier, around 18,000 lbs or is 16,000 lbs fine? I did order the Trail Air Tri Guide Pin Box. Looking forward to delivery sometime in August.

We're partial to Pullrite...have owned two. Really like the "J" wrap around the pin, when it latches there is NO mistaking it! I too would go with the a heavier hitch than you need...bigger is always better when it comes to RV equipment...LOL! The Pullrite goes from 16K to 20.5K, which is what we have...the safety margin gives us piece of mind.

jnbhobe

As Ken & Kathy said its for the safty margin. I want to be sure I have a good heavy duty connection for the fifth wheel pin.

Vinny773

thanks to all and I will definitely get a bigger hitch, minimum 18k. I'll also look into the Pullrite. Is CamperWorld a good place to shop and have it installed?