2012 Big Horn slides intermittent

rono

Our slides just started doing this this year. When I start to bring in slides they work long enough to get one in and then stops. After about 30 seconds if you hit the slide switch again it starts working again. This also happens when putting the slides out. I ran the slides from the outside switch and heard a click right before the slide stopped. Again after waiting for about 30 seconds I heard another click and was able to start the slide again. There is what looks to be a solenoid next to the pump reservoir. Could it be this solenoid going out? Any help is appreciated.

jimtoo

Look below the shelf the pump is on and just above the battery you will probably see several circuit breakers covered with red covers. Most likely the breaker for the slide pump is getting weak and needs to be replaced. Trace the wiring from the pump solenoid down to find the breaker.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

Speedy

Jim is correct on this. The breaker is a 50 amp and it has been causing problems for many people. The cure is to swap out the old breaker for a new 80 amp one.

Do a search here on the forum for slide breaker or 80 amp and you'll find how to do it.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Jim is correct on this. The breaker is a 50 amp and it has been causing problems for many people. The cure is to swap out the old breaker for a new 80 amp one.

Do a search here on the forum for slide breaker or 80 amp and you'll find how to do it.

Exactly...we upgraded to and 80 amp breaker...problem solved!!

rono

Thanks I found the breaker but where did you all buy the 80 amp one from I can't even find a 50 amp one at any of the local auto parts chains.

nvwll

I would urge you to not replace the circuit breaker - these are protective units that keep the wiring from being 'overloaded". If a circuit breaker opens, it means that maximum heat that the wire can handle is about to be exceeded. While it is unlikely the short time that the wire is over stressed will lead to a fire, it is still a possibility. Wire is a 'concealed' component in your RV - hard to inspect -difficult to replace.

danemayer

Our breaker has been getting tired; the slides and the landing gear would often trip the breaker. I just replaced it with another 50 amp. Also cleaned the battery terminals to make sure the leveling system is getting full voltage - lower voltage pulls more amps.

brianharrison

I would urge you to not replace the circuit breaker - these are protective units that keep the wiring from being 'overloaded". If a circuit breaker opens, it means that maximum heat that the wire can handle is about to be exceeded. While it is unlikely the short time that the wire is over stressed will lead to a fire, it is still a possibility. Wire is a 'concealed' component in your RV - hard to inspect -difficult to replace.

I have wondered this myself in the past - replacing a 50A OEM with an 80A. Good practice tells me this is a no-no,

In checking a reputable DC wire sizing webpage (Blue Sea DC Wire Sizing Chart, http://www.bluesea.com/articles/1437), 6 AWG wire size is good up to 10 feet with 70 Amps continuous (3% voltage drop). I believe most HL installations use 6 AWG on hydraulic pump feeds. Based on this, I would be comfortable using an 80A fuse for intermittent use installations with 6 AWG wire.

Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

TedS

nvwll, even Lippert has recommended replacing the 50a with an 80a. The power is not on long enough to raise the temperature of the wiring. I have verified that on my system. My dealer measured 70 amps when operating the slides.

I found my 80a breaker at a solar power parts dealer. You will have to rewire it as it will not fit in place of the 50a.

danemayer

nvwll, even Lippert has recommended replacing the 50a with an 80a. The power is not on long enough to raise the temperature of the wiring. I have verified that on my system. My dealer measured 70 amps when operating the slides.

I found my 80a breaker at a solar power parts dealer. You will have to rewire it as it will not fit in place of the 50a.
At one time Lippert did have a technical bulletin recommending an 80amp breaker. For whatever reason, I believe they took it down off their website at some point in the past 2 years.

Although a number of people have changed to 80amp breakers, and so far as we know, there have been no adverse effects to date, I would still recommend changing the 50 to a new 50amp breaker and making sure the battery terminals are clean and all connections are tight. If that doesn't resolve the problem you can try an 80amp breaker.