2014 BH Receiver Hitch

chip33

Can someone tell me where I can get a hitch for the back of my 2014 bighorn model 3370? It looks like it is ready for a bolt on hitch. Any ideas would be very helpful.I had a 2 inch receiver bolt on put on my hitchhiker.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Chip33 and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here willing to share their knowledge.
If I were to add a hitch to the back of my rig I would have a welder fabricate something and weld it to the frame.

I don't know where you could get a receiver for those brackets. Heartland used to sell them but I think that has stopped.
You might want to call them to find out for sure.

I believe the receiver was 1 1/4 inch and had a weight capacity of about 125 or 150 pounds. Not very much.

Peace
Dave

clayhud

Chip33, ditto to what Cookie says. I have a 2014 Bighorn 3610 RE and the Heartland option is 1 1/4 and would cost more than a local welder could fabricate one for (I have already called them) and you will have a lot more tongue weight! All the best!

sengli

I have the factory installed 1.25" receiver. It has such a long span that it flexes something terrible with my bikes on it. Due to its width, the factory hitch needs either to be re-enforced to help with the flex, or just have one made up by your local welding shop. The cost from the factory for ours was like $350 ish. I dont use ours anymore.

chip33

Thank you for that info. I think from all of the response's I will be wise to do as you suggest and contact a welding shop.Than you everyone that replied!! Chip33

bigdob24

I had the local welding shop put a bumper on my RV. It looks like a factory bumper 4x4 tube type, but the metal ( made in the good old USA ) is heavier and that makes it stronger than a factory install.
I put a bolt on receiver so I can use my bike hauler and also a flat cargo carrier if needed.
It has no flex and would hold 200-250 easy.
i have it all painted and it looks like it came installed from the factory.

chip33

Hey , Thank You guys for your help! Think I will pass on this as many of you have shown me that the hitch is just too weak for much . Chip

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I had my dealer "throw in " a receiver hitch as part of the deal when we bought our BH. They welded on a universal 2" receiver hitch. First time out realized the bolts used to "set " the receiver position were never going to make the grade. So once I was back home I positioned the receiver accordingly and thru drilled the box channel and thru bolted it with a couple of grade 8 bolts. I can jump up and down on the bike rack. It's there to stay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Anyone have plans or pictures of something stronger that will bolt up to the factory brackets?

fr8hlr

Chip , I installed a 2 inch receiver to the rear of our Landmark Monterey. The hitch was made by Curt Mfg. model 13703. Got it on internet for about $270 and installed my self. The install requires drilling 8 1/2 holes in the frame and 4 1/2 holes in the hitch cross member. It's rated at 350 lbs tongue Wt. And 3500 lbs towing. Job took about 5 hr. including wiring light plug. I think Curt web page for more info.

wildwolfproducts

Chip , I installed a 2 inch receiver to the rear of our Landmark Monterey. The hitch was made by Curt Mfg. model 13703. Got it on internet for about $270 and installed my self. The install requires drilling 8 1/2 holes in the frame and 4 1/2 holes in the hitch cross member. It's rated at 350 lbs tongue Wt. And 3500 lbs towing. Job took about 5 hr. including wiring light plug. I think Curt web page for more info.

This hitch is the same one that will be put on the back of our Key Largo. Do you have any pics of yours installed?
Pete

sjs731

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411744263.388340.jpg
I built this to put on the frame of our Sundance. I have no idea what it would be rated for but it works good for my 100 lb Yakima Hold Up 4 place bike rack and 4 bikes.

Steve

fr8hlr

This hitch is the same one that will be put on the back of our Key Largo. Do you have any pics of yours installed?
Pete
Hitch was fairly simple. I removed the spare tire and dropped the plastic sheeting back to the axle to allow enough room to work. At first I thought there might be an issue with the shore cable and power reel but by installing hangers a far back as possible against the last fame trust and end cap I was able to drill holes an install bolts with out any issue.
The yellow blobs in the photos is from the spray foam used to seal everything up after install just need to touch them up with a little black paint. Didn't take any photos during install but here is finished install. Opps I see that being a new member can't post photos yet .Will repost with photos later.

Attachments

• 610.jpg
    610.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 609.jpg
    609.jpg
    610.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 607.jpg
    607.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 603.jpg
    603.jpg