2014 Big Horn 2nd A/C option

danemayer

Don't they also cool the trailer?
The Air Conditioner with Heat Pump is a single unit. When you want heat, it extracts heat from the outside and pumps it inside. When you want cooling, it extracts heat from the inside and pumps it outside. Most of the time, it's called an Air Conditioner with Heat Pump, but it's just an additional capability built into some air conditioners, not a separate machine.

Steadfast

We won't be getting heat pumps. We're going to add a hybrid gas/electric system which will enable us to run the furnace on electric. It will heat at any temperature and not be limited to around 39-40 degrees as with heat pumps.
Do you have any information to share on the hybrid gas/electric system? That is something we might be interested in. Thanks.

Theresau

Thx for clearing that up - that's how I thought they operated.

The Air Conditioner with Heat Pump is a single unit. When you want heat, it extracts heat from the outside and pumps it inside. When you want cooling, it extracts heat from the inside and pumps it outside. Most of the time, it's called an Air Conditioner with Heat Pump, but it's just an additional capability built into some air conditioners, not a separate machine.

sengli

We have a 2013 BH. We opted for the second AC in the bedroom when we ordered our coach. We just this last week used the AC for the first time. The front low profile unit I thought was pretty noisy and it did cool the living area as well via the ducts. So I run the AC unit in the part of the coach we aren't in...so I dont have to listen to the units noise. From the ground it looks like both of our units are dometic brand. I dont remeber seeing anything on the t-stats to set them on low?

Theresau

Do you have the small digital thermostats? If so, there are three options on the left - Fan, Cool and Furnace (or Heat???). You would select Fan and then select + or - to select Low, High or Auto. After selecting the fan speed you would then select Cool and the AC will run on that fan speed.

Ours bedroom AC is not low profile...its full profile - identical to the living AC.

We have a 2013 BH. We opted for the second AC in the bedroom when we ordered our coach. We just this last week used the AC for the first time. The front low profile unit I thought was pretty noisy and it did cool the living area as well via the ducts. So I run the AC unit in the part of the coach we aren't in...so I dont have to listen to the units noise. From the ground it looks like both of our units are dometic brand. I dont remeber seeing anything on the t-stats to set them on low?

sengli

Thanks for the info! We are done using our rig till the cool weather comes back. But now I know.

Theresau

I investigated our AC's further by contacting Dometic - they are Dometic Brisk Air AC's. They have 3 fan speeds; however, our thermostat only indicates high, low and auto. I noted that a 3 speed was an option for the BH (and prob could be ordered for a BC) but not sure what is needed now to make this operate.

Does anyone have the 3 speed functionality and if so, do they have the large digital thermostat?

Would really like to use the medium speed in the living area during the day rather than low.

I just ordered the BH 3685 and had the dealer contact their Heartland rep about ducting. At least in the 2014's, it IS fully ducted on the 2nd A/C. Question, does anyone have a 2014 BH and able to confirm if the thermostats are digital?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just ordered the BH 3685 and had the dealer contact their Heartland rep about ducting. At least in the 2014's, it IS fully ducted on the 2nd A/C. Question, does anyone have a 2014 BH and able to confirm if the thermostats are digital?

They are digital readout on the '14 BC so I would assume it would be same on BH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NascarNut

Our 2014 BigHorn has both living room and bedroom air conditioning - the units are exactly the same size and I don't think they are loud at all

Theresau

Greatly suggest getting the 3 speed fan at least in the living area when ordering. This would allow you to run living area at medium while bedroom ran at high on hotter days. Per Dometic this needs to be done at the build as it is different wiring and thermostat.

Ditto on our two thermostats being digital. However, there is a comfort center thermostat which I believe comes with the 3 speed configuration (required for such).

mobilcastle

I am going to throw this in-my bedroom unit has heat strips-tested them once but never have used it. I have a heat pump system in my house-funny how it can extract heat when temps are cold outside.

K

karykatz

gotjackson,

For Bighorn and Landmark, both thermostats that control the ac units are digital. The non digital thermostat is for the rain sensor fan. I hope this helps