2014 Landmark-poor quality wood stain

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
No...there are going to be some new equipment options that everyone, especially fulltimers, will love!!

jbbdc

Well, that's awesome! My wife and I were just discussing plans to head up to Indiana in a couple weeks to take a tour.

Theresau

Actually variance I'm seeing is in a piece itself not from piece to piece - stain is consistent but boards that are used to put together the piece are different - our refrigerator door covers especially - you can greatly see the boards - but I just look at this as real wood - however, when the covers were built they should have used more consistent wood.

I really like the Bordeaux - it's dark but looks great when mixed with light decor and furniture.

Theresa
I think one of the problems perhaps is that the cabinet parts are manufactured off site and possibly from different vendors. They are then assembled at the Heartland facility during production. If they are not carefully color matched there very well could be color variations as they may not all come from the same batch or supplier. Also different woods are used and they will accept the stain at different degrees of absorption. This is not an excuse as I am not connected to Heartland but a possible explanation.

ParkIt

No...there are going to be some new equipment options that everyone, especially fulltimers, will love!!
Nifty. Just when I've gotten things down to full timing...they are going to add what I probably want. It would be easier to sell ours now at 2 years old than a couple more years out though I'm not sure I'm up for that. Guess I just will have to drool over the pictures to come ;)

Westwind

Don't have a Landmark, but have a Bighorn, I really only have one complaint about our 3070RL. I loved the color of our Maple Glazed cabinets, but within weeks I realized the finish on our cabinets was "Fragile" to say the least. We snowbird for 3 -4 months and within weeks the finish on the top of our lower cabinet doors, both kitchen and bath started to come off exposing bare wood. Being a amateur furniture re-finisher I decided to make my own repair to the cabinets. Maple stain and a good quality polyurethane have helped, but why wasn't the cabinet maker able to do this, our TT (sob) had great looking cabinets after 10 years and we did use it for 10 years, with at least 2 months in Florida each year. I do feel that the frame and doors are made of two different types of woods or at least they give the appearance of two different woods. With so many cabinets in a small area a better quality would make a big difference.

Theresau

Based on a great deal of commentary on threads regarding cabinets, it appears that 2012 and perhaps early 2013 coaches had issues with their cabinets - heard some even came apart - heard this for BH and Landmarks. Our 2010 BH cabinets were in GREAT shape when we sold it this year.

I also heard that the "frame" is a different wood..

Don't have a Landmark, but have a Bighorn, I really only have one complaint about our 3070RL. I loved the color of our Maple Glazed cabinets, but within weeks I realized the finish on our cabinets was "Fragile" to say the least. We snowbird for 3 -4 months and within weeks the finish on the top of our lower cabinet doors, both kitchen and bath started to come off exposing bare wood. Being a amateur furniture re-finisher I decided to make my own repair to the cabinets. Maple stain and a good quality polyurethane have helped, but why wasn't the cabinet maker able to do this, our TT (sob) had great looking cabinets after 10 years and we did use it for 10 years, with at least 2 months in Florida each year. I do feel that the frame and doors are made of two different types of woods or at least they give the appearance of two different woods. With so many cabinets in a small area a better quality would make a big difference.

dbbls59

Wow! I didn't see the second picture before. It looks like the mixed up the cabinets, some of the old color and some of the new. Your dealer should be able to get this corrected. The unit may have to be returned to the factory.

jbbdc

Trying to imagine what some of these new options might be.

Dishwasher in all LM models, garbage disposal, floor and ceiling accent lighting. Those are some things DRV has been using and would be a nice addition to the LM as well. Would also like to see an opening in the counter top that would allow one to wipe crumbs, etc directly into a waste basket.

porthole

Retired
I think one of the problems perhaps is that the cabinet parts are manufactured off site and possibly from different vendors. They are then assembled at the Heartland facility during production

When did HL start outsourcing cabinets?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I thought at the tour on Saturday they said they made their cabinets and counter tops right there in the factory...

Theresau

My understanding is that they build the cabinets at the factory (we watched them do this when we toured in April) but the doors are pre-built.

ParkIt

My understanding is that they build the cabinets at the factory (we watched them do this when we toured in April) but the doors are pre-built.
Unless it's a custom cabinetry shop the doors are usually batched at a different location, not saying its what Heart Land does though it could be from what you understood on your tour. It would make sense the cabinet bases are built on site for custom requests and general build, the doors are kind of the last part to be attached as each manufacturer has their own hardware they are using to match interiors.

porthole

Retired
At the last rally I needed a drawer front, tech said they don't make my cabinets anymore, said he would check. Went to the cabinet shop and came back with two new, just made, drawer fronts (2 because they cut a board and it would have been scrap).

Theresau

Another example of just great service!!!!:)

At the last rally I needed a drawer front, tech said they don't make my cabinets anymore, said he would check. Went to the cabinet shop and came back with two new, just made, drawer fronts (2 because they cut a board and it would have been scrap).

John T Bettencourt

My Landmark is a 2009 that we bought new. The cherry wood stain and the sanding of the wood on the cabinet is of very poor quality. You would expect more for a top of the line unit

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I am not so sure that they use "stain" as it looks more like a paint that actually chips off. We also have a 2009 Landmark and the kitchen chairs that we removed really look more like a paint. I know it is NOT a stain because a stain would soak into the wood not "rest" on top. Maybe Heartland could confirm or deny this?

Theresau

Our cabinets definitely look like stain but not sure about the chairs... However, only chipping we had was in the BH and it included chipping of the wood on the chairs when they hit each other while we traveled.

I am not so sure that they use "stain" as it looks more like a paint that actually chips off. We also have a 2009 Landmark and the kitchen chairs that we removed really look more like a paint. I know it is NOT a stain because a stain would soak into the wood not "rest" on top. Maybe Heartland could confirm or deny this?