2014 Landmark/Savannah - Shackle Springs Bolt breaking

Has anyone had the problem with the shackle springs 'bolt' breaking? :mad:

It's either the nut backing off the bolt, OR, either the 'bolt' just snapped !!!

Unit was purchased new September of 2013.
It's been towed 3K miles to date.

Appreciate knowing from anyone who might have knowledge of this and WHY it happened.

Thanks.

jolar3329

I've had both the right and left crack over the last five years. Previously I've owned four trailers and one motorhome with out any chassis problems. Last year I had a drum fail. I own a 2009 Big Horn. I just paid over $700 to have both axles straightened and purchased new tires.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have wet bolts?
Did you lose a bolt?
Or were the two pieces still in place?
If you lost it maybe the nut came off, but I doubt that would happen.
Your 2014 Landmark has Dexter suspension.
I have Lippert suspension and have had two bolts break. They were the wet bolts.
Why it happened is still a mystery.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Has anyone had the problem with the shackle springs 'bolt' breaking? :mad:

It's either the nut backing off the bolt, OR, either the 'bolt' just snapped !!!

Unit was purchased new September of 2013.
It's been towed 3K miles to date.

Appreciate knowing from anyone who might have knowledge of this and WHY it happened.

Thanks.

I doubt anyone could give you a definitive WHY without an engineer doing a failure analysis on the broken part(s). Best you could get would be educated guesses.

I would guess that if the bolt broke in place, with the nut attached, it was either a manufacturing defect in the bolt, or perhaps it had been over-torqued during assembly or at some later point.